after last month's tragedy, this month,

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shelljo, Mar 27, 2006.

1. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

we had joy. After having to put Frannie down last month (after the dog attack), her daughter, Winter, kidded this past saturday. Realitively easy birth. I did have to call the vet as she didn't pass all her placenta, but with a little more oxytocin yesterday, it all passed.

4 kids. First time kidder. 2 males, 2 females.

I did have to break 3 amniotic (SP) bags, as they didn't break in the birth. Thick too. Kids are a nubian/boar cross.

It's funny, with Frannie, I knew her labor symptoms. She went off her feed, paced, scraped her foot on the ground, got that far away look in her eyes. Winter--none of the same signs. Never went off feed, didn't pace, didn't dig a hole. Just was laying down, dropped the kids. In fact, we found the first kid as my son was feeding sat night. He said he went out, put the hay and a little grain in her pan, she started eating and the kid bleated. Sure shook DS up! Came running into the house yelling "She dropped kid! Mom, she's kidding!"

Frannie kidded quickly, one after another. Winter didn't kid that fast. The first one was dry before the other three came.

I nutra drenched all 4, made sure all nursed, and got them dried off well. Yesterday, we checked them frequently, all still doing well. Momma looks good too. will give her another shot of pennicillian tonight to hopefully prevent any infection from the placenta.

I'm hopeful all kids will live and thrive. Momma seems to have plenty of milk. All seem to be getting more energy. I lost 2 of my 4 kids last year, and don't want to lose any. We've had enough tragedy, and I want the joy to last.

O yes, Winter was a trooper. She kidded in front of an audience of 6 people! We had company over for supper. Needless to say, supper was late. Told our guests that they never knew what to expect when they came to our house! :baby04:

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations on the babies. Glad all went well. :goodjob:

3. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

How sweet! I would have loved to have been your dinner guest that night and watched the show too! :)

4. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

4 kids on the first time, what a good momma! Congratradulations! Any pics?