Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you store what you've dehydrated? A food saver sealer is on our "want it" list. Can I dry pack things in canning jars and oven seal them? What's the best way to store airtight? Im thinking I might dehydrate stew veggies and put them up that way, since it takes up so much less space that way.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Canning jars work great. Sometimes better than bags since dehydrated stuff can have sharp edges that will poke holes in bags.

Just drop the goods in a jar and use your two-piece lids, no need to oven seal. If you have them, put in a descant packet too. When you get your vacuum sealer a feature to look for is an accessory hose so you can use a jar adapter if you want to vac jars.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have used oven canning, and I have just put them in zip lock bags and pressed the air out before zipping shut. If you do that double or triple bag them, those meal worm moths have a way of getting into the tightest places, I think they lay their eggs along seams and jar lids and if even there is the slightest gap, when they hatch they can get inside. I always seem to have a few fluttering around the kitchen.

T

·
0 Posts
Try an oxygen absorber in a Mason jar. I bought a bunch of O2 Absorbers for little of nothing, and drop them in with items in Mason jars that haven't been actually canned.... Tight jar lids.
Nothing has sprouted or hatched yet. In months.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dry canning is good, you can use old lids for this
Also, Ziploc makes a Vacuum starter kit that has a little pump thingy that sucks the air out of special bags, I bought mine a Walmart.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I found my vacuum sealer on ebay $10 but the bags are pretty pricey
The bags are outrageous. I hadn't used my Foodsaver in about a year or more, and when I started putting stuff up this fall, I needed to get more bags. Went to Amazon to price them and just about fell over!

For bananas, I put them in jars. For apple rings, Foodsaver bags.

I've never heard of oven canning (I'm new to the whole canning thing. I'll google it.)

As far as a tip on getting a Foodsaver - if you want to get a new one, wait until around Black Friday if you can. That's how I got mine, and I think I saved 30-40%.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I prefer glass jars, and usually use my old canning lids. I find plastic tends to rip and sometimes get lost (ie fall behind something).
Dawn

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
I have used oven canning, and I have just put them in zip lock bags and pressed the air out before zipping shut. If you do that double or triple bag them, those meal worm moths have a way of getting into the tightest places, I think they lay their eggs along seams and jar lids and if even there is the slightest gap, when they hatch they can get inside. I always seem to have a few fluttering around the kitchen.
I've never heard of this. I think you have a problem of them being inside the bags when you seal them. Apparently your things aren't properly dried. The eggs are on the product before you seal them. Use oxygen absorbers - no air, no bugs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I vacuum seal all my dry things in any kind of jar with a lid as long as that lid has the rubber seal inside the lid. Last night I got a 62 oz. Jalapeno sliced pepper jar that the neighbor was going to throw away. The top is too small for me to get my hand inside but I'll make do. I haven't figured what to put in it yet but it will be used soon. I use a food saver and love it. You have any questions, just ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts