After birthing problems

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Is she (was she) running a fever, or anemic? If a vet isn't practical, I'd consider trying a different antibiotic, perferably a sulfa (got any sulfamethazine/cocci treat? ) It does a lot more than just kill cocci, and it will make sure cocci doesn't become a problem. I'd be thinking a steroidal anti-inflaitory might help too, just the standard ASA or Banamine thin the blood which might cause problems. Just some ideas, it is a tough one to suggest things for, especially when you're already doing what I would. The not eating hay is a concern, can you offer her different hay and keep it fresh in front of her?

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Kabri which side of the sound are you on, as I do not remember?

She needs to see a Vet. If you are on the Kitsap county side, call Dr. Marion at

360-876-4746 or 253-853-4277

3. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

We're just outside of Issaquah, no vets around here that will willingly work on sheep w/o charging 2 or 3 times the $ value of the ewe :waa: I do have her on SMZ which has always worked extremely well for us, especially when we had retained placenta in a different ewe last year.

I started supplimental feeding the lambs this morning, they were hungry and did not fuss too much once they realized I had milk for them. I've never lost a ewe from lambing in 10 years of having sheep, so these will be our first bottle lambs. It's very sad.

Now the question is, how often do I bottle feed 3 day old lambs? DH and I both work in the city, I may have to drive his truck to work so I can bring the lambs with me! At least they got colostrum(sp) from their ma :waa:

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Oh.. Drat Kabri,,, I am sorry. :waa:

I do not know what milk replacer you are using? But what ever they have on the back of the bag should be fine.
    If you have to take them with you, in a pinch, can always put baby diapers on them.

5. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Well, it's a bit of a miracle, the ewe is still alive, and starting to show a small interest in hay. After yesterday morning, I thought she would be gone. So I've left the lambs with her and have been supplimental feeding them. :no: She's not out of the woods yet, was not interested in grain this morning, but she's drinking and still standing and alert. She talked to her lambs when I separated them for a few hours to give her a rest, another encouraging sign! :worship: