After 20 years....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

Cale and I have been married over twenty years now and for most of that time we have had TV reception of 2-3 channels, except the four years when we lived on the creek bottom and we received one channel! Well we decided to get Dish installed. By bundling it with our phone and DSL it is only going to cost us about $17 additional a month for 120 channels. It was installed on Saturday to four televisions. So far Cale and Brady have watched some hunting and fishing shows, I have watched a few things on HGTV, and the girls discovered a channel with Full House which they used to watch when they were kids! I see a lot of shows that look interesting but have not had a chance to watch them yet.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Do you have enough popcorn for us all to come over? Also, real butter...

3. Melissa

Melissa member

Of course real butter!

4. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

I, personally, really enjoy Food Network and the Travel Channel.

The kids n I watched a great show on location in Venice, Italy, today on the Travel Channel--good enough that the girlie wanted to know where the host would go on the next show. We learned alot!

The girlie here loves 'Full House', too. She's a Food Network fan like her mama, as well. :dance:

The boy loves the Military Channel, as he's very interested in WWII-- and branching out to other wars as of late. The History channel catches his eye now and again, too.

That husband o' mine is a Science Channel and Weather Channel frequent-er, as well as FoxNews.

With satellite, we can watch some really neat stuff....we really enjoy it--especially in the wintertime! Have fun!

~~

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Are you 'skirting' the popcorn issue? What about enough chairs?

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

That's funny as we just cancelled our DISH after 9 years...with 50+ channels we rarely found anything we wanted to watch!! Boy, the antics they've pulled to convince us to sign up again--free movie channels for 6 mos,more channels for less. We'll see if we decide to get it later; right now we actually haven't missed it at all. DEE

7. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

We got Direct TV 3 years ago and I love it. We watch a lot of shows on Discovery, National Geographic, Animal Planet, BBC America, Bravo, etc...

We also have a DVR which I LOVE.

You really can find some good shows to watch. I have learned a lot from the cooking shows even though I did consider myself a good cook to begin with.

We recorded March of the Penguins the other day and we're going to watch it as a family on the weekend.

8. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Who needs chairs?!? The floor'll work just fine ifn' the popcorn is hot n buttered! :baby04:

~~

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

The History channels have good stuff too and I love the channels that show old movies, but HGTV is my favorite.

10. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

We had Dish for one year and hated it. Got rid of it and put up an antenna instead. Now, our local cable company (Comcast) is offering reduced prices on bundle deals so on Monday we will be getting high speed internet, VOiP phone service, and over 200 digital channels to our main TV and a batch of regular channels to the other 3 TV's. I might have to start taking off from work just to get enough time to watch all of those channels!!! :happy:

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

11. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

We had Dish Network for about 5 years, then a couple of months ago we lost reception. A tech came out and said a tree had grown in the way was why we lost reception. At first, we thought we'd live without it, but we don't get much without satellite. I really missed the news and weather. So, we had the tree cut, called them to turn us back on. Still no reception. Another tech came out. It wasn't the tree in the first place. It was receiver all along. Now we have reception and a tree on the ground in our front yard.

12. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I remember.......DH got TV right after we were married 18 years ago....I cried.

Yes........IMO it was the end of family interaction (at least for me) :Bawling:

13. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Has the TV shock hit you yet? We didn't have TV for about a year. When we got directv, it was really a shock to see how much the programing had changed.

When I watch, I usually have it on either History channel, or HGTV. Sometimes CNN or the Western channel. I really like the old black & white shows. It totally amazes me that I have 150 channels and usually there's nothing good to watch.

14. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Lucky you. If I had my way I'd toss all of our TV's out the bleeping window.

Sorry....I've had a bad day.

DH is livid right now because out of the 100-some channels we get on our stupid $60 a month cable they "can't live without", the ONE channel he wants to watch some kind of sports thing on tonight isn't included. It's a regular network channel out of Cincinnati and he can pick it up fuzzy on the antenna TV in our room, but since we live nearer to Dayton now, the cable doesn't cover it. Figures.

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Really???????? I turn on the tv when dh and I travel and stay in a motel room over night. It takes me about 10 minutes to go through ALL the channels and I'll be darned if I can find anything that looks interesting. You must have different channels.

donsgal

16. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

When I was in the hospital for surgery & when I had the kids, I did the same thing. Flipped through every channel & still couldn't find anything worth watching. I kow DH & the kids would enjoy it, but I hate for them to become zombies in front of the TV.

17. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

Get rid of it now...........While you still can.

18. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

You should try RFD-TVThis is a great channel. No. 379 on Direct TV. I don"t know the NO. on DISH but it is on Dish Network. For a TV guide Try www.rfd-tv.com Jay

19. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I chuckled over this. :p

No TV here, so I can't add an interesting comment except to say that - to each his own and be sure to enjoy what you have.

20. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree, there's a reason tv is called 'opium for the masses'.