African Pygmy Goats??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reptyle, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

Any benefit to raising these other than as pets? Do they provide as much milk in comparison as the Nigerian Dwarfs? How do the compare overall to the Nigerian Dwarfs? I believe I'm interested in the smaller versions of goats at this point. Any suggestions or references I should use (other than this forum) to continue my search for knowledge?

I am new to posting on the forum, but have been coming here for a few weeks and figure I'll learn even more than I have (thank you for the help) :bow: if I begin to post some of my own questions. Thank you. :goodjob:

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

No, an African Pygmy will not provide as much milk as a Nigerian Dwarf. If milk is the primary reason you want the goats, NGs are a good choice. I believe APs were bred to be homestead animals, so they provide a moderate amount of both meat and milk, plus you can breed 'em twice a year. But I actually think you can breed NGs twice a year, too, but NGs will provide a LOT more milk (and no meat to speak of).

Both are very adorable and friendly, though. Enjoy the search!

3. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

pygmes are a duel purpose bread, meat and milk, not the best at either.
    many are used at horse stables in the stalls to keep the horses calm.

4. Reptyle

I appreciate the information (keep'em coming!! this kinda information is exactly what I need). The APG sounds like something that might work perfectly. I dunno if I will be using much milk beyond personal consumption (interested in trying to make that goats milk soap) and as I understand it most dairy goats (such as the Nigerian) need to be milked every 12 hours or basically twice daily. Would the same be true for the APG since it does not produce as much milk, or once I began milking them would they still have to be on a 12 hr schedule? Questions questions questions, I will probably have more, but can't think of any at the moment. Thank you again for those of you who helped and I thank those will soon help.

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Sorry I can't provide any answers with the milking question. We breed our girls and then let them raise their own kids, so we don't milk them and just let them dry off naturally when the kids wean.

I can provide another hint, though, if the AP is what you're seriously looking into: fence and fence well! APs are the most notorious escape artists of all goats. True, they just come up to the house in most cases, but still. :nono:

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You do not have to milk any goat twice a day if you don't want. I have cut my Nubians back to just once a day because I just don't need all the milk I am getting & since I went back to work I don't have the time I did. I have Pygmies & have not had a problem with them getting out. Just make sure your fence is tight. Cattle panels work great.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

actually if u breed pygmies cattle panels are usually just large enuff for the babies to slip thru. i suggest actual goat fencing. it works great, its what we have. i know pygmies have a reputation for jumping fences, but i have a hyperactive doeling that seems like she'd be that kind of goat, but she has to stay with the "herd" so she doesnt. so keep these (or any goat) in a group.

8. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

We have goat fencing (4X4") plus electric tape. Our goats haven't been fence-jumpers, but they are master wiggler-unders! And the herd mentality is often the problem, since one who succeeds will spur others to join them at any cost. We have had some adventures, but have finally developed a system that works for us. I'm sure you will too!

9. Reptyle

So Nigerian dwarfs would also work? Truth to tell I like them both, but was worried that I wouldn't be able to properly manage a schedule that required milking every 12 hours. The Nigerians can be kept on a 24 hr. schedule as well?

10. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

I have had two Pygmy does for 4 years now and find that they are just a delight to have! If you only need some milk they can fit the bill for you nicely. The first year I milked them I only did it once a day and had no problems with the girls. Learning to milk a smaller goat can be a bit of a challenge, but it's not too hard, heck my kids can do it now and they are 5 yrs. and 8 yrs.! The milk is very tasty and makes great cheese. This year I am milking twice a day (it takes approx. 30 mins for feeding and milking) and get about 1/2 gal a day now (was closer to a gal) that we are getting late into their lactation. If you decide to go with the Pygmys ask the breeder about their milking abilities, some give more than others and if milk is what you want you want girls with nice sized udders reguardless of breed.

For their fencing I used the regular cattle panels on the main goat pen as once they get to be about 4-5 months old they generally can't get through the 4 x 4 openings. When my girls first got ready to give me babys I took and fenced off a section of the main pen with more panels and just used some 2 x 4 fencing I had and went over the bottom 2 feet so the babys couldn't get through it.

I have heard of lots of stories about the Pygmys...jumping fences, climbing on everything etc. but mine don't, then again I haven't ever given them the chance! Any goat will climb, jump and just plain get into trouble if you let them go where ever they want! They need a fenced area that is safe from predators and that they can't get out of. Also, make sure that their housing is away from the fence! This is a great way for them to play lets go explore!!

All around I just love my girls, but then I also love the Nigerian Dwarf and the Nubians I have too! :p

Jeannine