Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lastnight I went out to my Dad's house to shovel snow. I lived in that house from the time I was 1 year old till I was 23 - I'm now 41, so you are talking 18 - 40 years ago.

What I was amazed at, was that I expected to be shoveling snow in the dark, and I could see plenty. I counted no less that 6 dusk to dawn lights around the neighborhood. When I lived there, there wasn't a one.

When a kid, I could play hide and seek in the dark, and it was dark. That certainly wouldn't work now.

Are people that afraid of the dark that they must install a dusk to dawn light to keep the bogeyman at bay? Or is it simply that the people have gotten older, and the older people prefer the light to the dark?

Security isn't an issue, as the area is safe. My opinion of a dusk to dawn light is you are just giving any thieves the light to see what to steal! Let it be dark and let them shine a flashlight around which would be more noticeable!

I find it sad that the old neighborhood is so lit up like that. I would imagine that would affect anybody who might be looking up in the nighttime sky to look at stars. Or maybe I'm just old fashioned?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
When we first bought this house (w-a-y out in the country) an escaped convict stole our truck which was parked under the security light the previous owner had left. We got rid of the light.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
the new apts going up beside us have bunches of lights at night. I miss it actually being dark. Seems to me those lights just attract those up to no good.

·
lurking in the shadows
293 Posts
Who needs yard lights when you have dogs with attitude:banana02:!

·
Registered
98 Posts
We moved from a metropolitan area a little over 4 years ago. This neighborhood has no street lights and hardly anyone keeps an outside light on at night. We have motion sensors on our exterior lights. I’m still surprised when I get out of the car here when it’s dark and can see a gazillion stars at night in the sky.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Our yard lighst are on switches even though they have light sensors. That way if we want them off, we can turn them off.

It's nice to be able to see the stars, but it's also nice to be able to get things done in the afternoon in the winter. Besides the toads love to sit under the lights and eat bugs.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Another thing, a light gives a unwanted guest the layout of your house/yard etc....if your place is in darkness, YOU have the advantage of knowing where things are and how to get there/them.

Rose
We don't have yard lights, and rarely turn the porch lights on. Our house is far enough off the road and out in the country that without lights, you can't even tell there is anything here! We love to 'hide' at night this way.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Michael - Oh, I don't think you're old fashinoned at all.

When we lived in the suburbs, the whole neighborhood was always lit up!

But out here, we have no streetlights, and the few neighbors we do have, well... Can't be seen very well, and some do have "night lights".

There are floods on the house, and lights on the farmer's porch, but hardly get used. I have tripped and cursed more than once falling up the stairs after forgetting to leave them on if I expect to be home after dark! :D

Perhaps I should make it a habit of keeping a headlamp in my truck!

·
Registered
865 Posts
We made sure to get our garage motion light working and keep our porch lights on all day. We have to have light to record all the people/animals/vehicles that come into our driveway. My hubby can even spy on me from work. :)

After we were robbed....thankfully before we completely moved in, Ben installed 2 security cameras that detect motion. The pictures are automatically sent to his gmail account so that they are not "on-site" in case someone tries stealing all our computers again.

It is also nice to see outside so you don't run into moose. I really don't care if the neighbors don't like it. It is for our safety.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Seems logical that outside lights with switches when needed, otherwise activated when motion is detected should do the job most everywhere. The sudden blast of light triggered by motion detection should scare man or moose and send them packing. It may require a small investment which should be quickly repaid from energy savings. Me, I don't intend to impose constant light polution on anyone else because I do love the clear night sky...Glen

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've never understood people anywhere feeling the need to pay to light the outside of their house at night. But then i'm also surprised to see houses which have literally every light on night after night.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Uhmmm...they're used so you don't break your neck at night when there is 2 inches of ice/snow on the ground....they're used so you don't break you neck tripping on something in general.... Many uses for them. A good dog will keep the thieves away...let them look at whatever they want.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Had a yard light installed by the electric company many years ago where we park our cars. I understand not wanting the light but we still have plenty to see in the sky with the stars and in no way does it take away from the country living feel. The reason we did this is because I am either company home from work at 1 AM in the morning or going to work at 11 PM. One night I forgot to put the car in park and it began to roll with me out of the car. I ran to jump into it and managed to stop it before hitting the tree in the front yard and thought light might help during the "dark" house. I have heard people complain about others and the dark but for me it is a safety issue especially during these cold icy nights heading out to work.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I honestly don't know. I personally think of them as a massive waste of energy. I mean, imagine how much energy we could save if everyone got rid of their dawn-dusk lights? A TON. I have nothing against outside lights - they're great on switches or motion sensors even. That'd be fine. But this nonsense of having lights on ALL night long? I just think its nutty.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Oh I have a out side light on my barn,, and one light one in the barn and radio,,My big horse Mike doesnt like total dark,,neither does his owner.. I have been afraid of the dark as long as i can remember and I remember when and how it happend,, just cant shake it even at almost 49. I have fallen enough times in driveway,, At least i could see to crawl back to the house. I know waste of money to pay light company,, but cant afford broken bones or a horse who trashed his stall when its dark

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have all of my lights on switches and they are off most of the time.

I’ve lived in my house way out of town, oh, for ten years now. I am amazed at the lights I see on the next ridge over. New houses going up and people moving out of town … into the woods…. But they have to light everything up like a Walmart parking lot! The yard lights on that ridge keep multiplying every year! Why on earth do they move out where, oh gee, where it is going to be dark at night…. And then install those spotlights that they leave on all night!?!?? Go figure…..especially when we have the best light show on earth during these dark nights.

Makes you want to go out at night for a little target practice….

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I think they are afraid of the dark.We have a young couple who buit a huge home in seeing distance of my front window and you can tell when her husband is not home or late cause the lights in the house are on all 4 stories basement to top floor.Sometimes they stay that way all night. On another part of our property a couple put in a double wide within rock throwing distance of my hen houses. I walk up there in the dark everymorning around 4am.The stars are beautiful ,the only problem I have is my dogs are black and if they stop in front of me I step on them. Any way that doublewide is lit up like a christmas tree they have yard lights, lights on the eaves of their house, and lights inside on. I don't know how they sleep.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts