Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking my girls down the road to be bred. I have never done this and I am concerned with the stress of a move interfering with their heat cycle. I have been keeping notes on when they are in season so I have a rough idea of when they need to go up to see their new bo. it looks as though everyone is coming into heat within 1 1/2 weeks of each other.
I would prefer of course to have them gone for as short amount of time as possible but I don't want to jeopardize thier ovulation (hopefully multiple) by stressing them out with a move while they are approaching heat. does anybody have any (of course anecdotal) evidence supporting wether or not this is an issue?

I mistyped the thread title at first to read "affect of ovulation on stress" I think that may be a freudian slip. :p

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I don't know if it effects ovulation, but I do know they'll be stressed! In a scary place with a stinky boy! How horrible! LOL

Make sure you flush them starting a month before you take them over there, that should help increase your numbers. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've had several doelings take six week "vacations" at a far away breeder's. They came into heat on schedule and in the case of one short-cycling doeling, continued that pattern. All but one were successfully bred on their first heat at the breeder's.

Besides lessening the spread of disease, quarantine will also reduce stress on your does. Establishing a new herd order and being separated from their herdmates are both stressful.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Something we found last year is that the stress can interfere with their "settling" -- two of ours that had been bred went back into heat after moving to our place. We brought one back for a "date" - and she still failed to settle. :(

Not meaning to bum you out - just something you should be aware of - that you'll want to keep an eye on them even after breeding.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes they will not be turned out with the herd at the breeders I won't allow that. I'm feeding them well now and will up until breeding because I want as much size on them as possible, the bucks are larger than I am completely comfortable with, but I have still decided this is the best course. I will be doing self care so it makes it an extra pain to have them away from home, but at the same time maybe I need to quit whining and get them there to settle in before being bred to offer the best oppurtunity for getting the job done the first time.

any hints or suggestions are welcomed....thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.