Advice Request, Bull Calf, 3 Weeks Old

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by GOATDADDY, Jun 7, 2005.

1. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Been bottle feeding this calf. Took a close look at his naval yesterday. It was sort of open or raw, about size of dime. Hair about six inches all around it mostly gone. Sprayed with Iodine, twice. I think maybe he can lick that area? This calf, when I got him had a problem with drooling rather sticky stuff. He's gotten better. One advice I gave him 10 cc of ? PCN? with something else and will give 10 cc in three days. The calf is alert, no fever, stools like soft serve ice cream. I spent a lot of time today trying to teach him to drink water. I think he is getting the hang of it. I'm worried about the heat, the flies and his belly button issue. He doesn't act sick, I don't think. Comments please!!!

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it, it is quite common. If you are worried about the fly continue to apply iodine twice a day or even better, get some flystrike powder and squirt it around the navel area. If he is irritating it himself the taste of iodine or flystrike powder will cure him of the habit quick smart.

My advice also would be to stop administering antibiotics to this calf as he would not appear to need them. Don't force him to drink water if he doesn't want it but ensure that it is available for him at all times either in a bucket or his bottle (if you are bottle feeding him). At 3 weeks old he is quite capable of getting it himself if he requires it and it is available.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

i agree with the other post .we leave a five gal of water in the calves shed an change it every day.we also leave about pound of creep feed in there also and some hay .they will nibble on it for a while .when i bottel feed i always give a bottle of water after the calf gets done with the milk.never in crease the feed to much at one time you will then deal with the runs or feed to much rich hay like alfalfa or clover hay.to deal with flys we used fly trap jars and fly sticky tape we hang it were the calves cant reach it .the best thing i have found to put the hay in is a plastic barrel like fivtyfive gallen barrel. i cut 2 slots long side of the barrel, wide enough for the calves to get their head in and get to the hay.cut a big hole on the top so i can put the hay in. this has saved a lot of hay for us.we also but salt an mineral blocks for them