Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a mini doxi.. Love her to death.. she is now 8 months old, has had her 1st cycle also. I NORMALLY ( every animal we own) have all dogs spayed/ neutered. I want to keep her unspayed for WAY FUTURE possible pups ( and yes i keep her locked up during the time ect ect)

My question is.. ARE THEIR nipples suppose to stay "FULL " looking no matter what? IT has been 2-3 weeks since her "period" lol and she still has full looking "UTTERS" as my kids call em. IS this normal? or does she have some thing that I should worry about?

I have looked around but havent found anything much except it could be blocked milk ducts, but ummm she isnt/wasnt prego.... so how could it be that.

TIA for advice/comments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Once they go through their first heat they do tend to 'mature' a bit, however she could also be suffering from a false pregnancy. One thing to keep in mind, it is believed that dogs who suffer regular false pregnancies are more prone to pyometra later in life. I am not sure this is true but I have seen it to be so in the few dogs I have had that remained intact for several years. I haven't had enough to prove the point so don't want you to think this is a given. But I have seen it happen. Just something to keep in mind when making spay/breeding decisions for your little girl.

Willow101

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The nipples will be at least somewhat enlarged from now on. A *****'s body doesn't know it's not pregnant after a heat cycle-it goes through all the same hormonal changes. She may well even produce milk about the time puppies would be due had she been breed.

How far is way far in the future? I wouldn't wait too long (until she was more than 3-4) before having her first litter, but I'd definitely wait a couple of more heat cycles. The more times she goes through a heat cycle, the more likely she will develop pyometra.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I believe I read some where that doxies as a breed are very prone to false pregnancy. A lot of times they will also start mothering things from stuffed animals to T.V remotes.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Doxies also get mammary tumors and are known to often suffer through their heat cycle. Call your vet and talk to him/her about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts