Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by animal_kingdom, Apr 23, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

My daughter bought a rabbit-castor mini rex doe.
    She wanted to breed it, however only had money for the doe. Sooooo...I bought myself a broken doe with spots down the spine and then a castor buck.

We had quite a bit of successful mating. Now I've read the books and stuff. But I thought maybe any "real life" advice would be great.

Background: I had a couple of mini lops when I was young...in my 20's. Never bred them. But down on the farm everything has a baby sooner or later.lol

So now we have this rabbit interest and she is making herself quite a project out of it all. She is 10 yo.

I'll be checking for babies early next week to see if I can feel if the doe is really pregnant. (I don't really have my doubts. Was a pretty sound mating situation.)

I thought this would be the best place for advice.

Thanks alot, I appreciate any comments.

Mama

2. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

I guess my first question would be "What are you planning on doing with the kits?" Knowing that answer it may be easier to advise you on anything....

3. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

good for you!

my advice would be to get a record book started. you might not have pedigrees on the parent stock but now you know the beginnings with your kits.
    Keep track of the day they were put together, mated etc...
    keep track of the feed you use and how much daily - that way you know your costs and what you need to sell the kits for to break even. AND the big one, if they get sick, you will know if it was stress induced because of bad feed, short feed ....
    Also keep track of how often you clean up after them, and develope a routine from this - at 10 years old it is easier to use a calendar to clean than to use the it looks like it needs to be cleaned method.

Look to your local 4H chapter for help... if you have good rabbits, enter these into the fair with 4H. This is a great experience in learning more about rabbits and it is a quiet competition where you are competing against yourself first and awarded infront of your peers.

keeping records and showing help kids in their school work and in real life ...
    the most important advice tho is to have fun, enjoy the experience and share the warm fuzzies you'll be getting by watching and playing with bunnies

4. animal_kingdom

The kits will be sold.
    I know with our livestock that we can breed daughter back to father but we don't go farther than that down the line.

So that would have been another question...Can I breed daughter back to father?

We do the calendar record keeping right now and the charts.

We were fortunate to get pedigree information on my broken mini and the castor mini buck. Bought a pedigree tablet to have dd fill out when the babies arrive.

Didn't think to keep records on food. thanks for that idea.

Actually bought these rabbits at a rabbit show at the 4H center and daughter is starting to express interest in joining the rabbit club. The center is only about 10 mins from us, so it makes life less difficult!

This daughter is destined to be a vet or farmer one day. She is so good at taking care of our livestock that it amazes me. So the rabbit thing after helping with all the other things we do here was simple but she was required to be responsible to pay for what she wanted. Plus she must earn their food with being helpful with a cheeful heart at home. Since we homeschool, it gives more time to achieve the goals of earning food. Sometimes, I tell her that if she cares for mine that week, I will reward her with food for hers also. She loves the rabbits, brought one in the house the other day and insisted that it wouldn't pee on the floor. I knew better but just said...okay. Then she put it down and went to get something from her desk. She smiles brightly and says to me...see, she didn't pee! Then the rabbit hopped a few paces and I asked her to fee the carpet. She made an ewww face and went to clean it up. Put the rabbit back. Lesson learned.

So far we've have the rabbits for about 2 months and I think I reminded her to water them 3 times. Not bad. I'm glad she's excited and her enthusiasm hasn't disappeared. I think 4H would be another step to keep her motivated and focused.

sorry so long..
    Thanks!

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Yes, you can breed the daughter back to the father. If he has any horrible mini-rex traits, like curly fur, or sore bottoms on his feet, I would tend away from that, otherwise, don't worry too much.

4-H is GREAT, totally recommend it. Have her do her own business with the bunnies too, when I was 14 I was selling antiques worldwide, and also had my own rabbit and small pet business, and it was wonderful for me! Keep track of expenses, teach her how to file taxes, etc... It will be a wonderful experience for her!

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We've eaten them, but they don't have a whole lot of meat. Flavour is just fine. However, if you are going to bring them in to get butchered, and pay a sum price per rabbit, I don't know if it is worth it. If you do it yourself... But that isn't too fun! I've only done chickens to par, but they weren't too bad, so maybe rabbits wouldn't be either. Course, I have had to cull them, so I guess maybe it wouldn't be too much different.

7. animal_kingdom

I don't want to butcher anything myself.
    I did call my brother last night and asked if he would kill and gut a few of my goats and a lamb for us in exchange for meat.

I'm thinking he may be interested in a couple of rabbits if we have extra that don't sell.

I'm not eating them myself. It took years until I could eat one of our goats and lambs...lol