Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, went out to the pasture today and one of the sheep didn't come to eat. Being 105 degrees today I thought the worst.

I found her and she looked like she got punched in the eye. Pinkeye. Anyway, since it took me forever to catch her I brought her back to the house. She is in the basement in the shower getting treatment. Here is the question...

Would going from 105 degrees to 72 in the basement make her sick? And now that I have her here, should I go ahead and shave her? What would you do?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,709 Posts
The change in temp wont make her sick.. Its up to you whether or not to shear.

The heat wave should end today, and its not too long until we will be getting much cooler weather (hopefully!)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long does it take sheep hair (wool) to grow back?

See below, there is about maybe 2 inches of wool. The distance from my finger tip to my thumb is how long the wool is.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,709 Posts
MegZ or Liese could answer that one. I have Dorpers so I never have to shear them.

It really doesnt look all that long to me though Good luck with the pinkeye!

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
Hi, From very recent experince (like this week) I would say don't shear if you are thinking to do so because of the heat. I sheared one of twins - out there at 6am to do this- only to find that she pants no less, maybe even more than she did before and certainly no less than her unsheared twin. You and she have enough on your plate with the pink eye, let me save you from more work!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Here is an excellent article about heat stress suggestions:
http://www.pipevet.com/articles/heat_stress.htm

If she is not seeking shade herself, you can put her in an area inside a shed or barn, with a fan. She also would probably be happier with a roommate to hang with, I would think keeping her in the house would cause more stress, which is something that needs to be limited in this heat/humidity.
You can also wet the ground (not the sheep), in a shady area that she likes to hang around.
Fresh water is very important. I refresh the sheep water a couple times a day in this awful heat to make sure they continue drinking.

I am not a vet but what I would suggest is to treat her with LA-200 or better yet Biomycin if you have that for the cloudy eye. Could she have scratched the eye too ?
It hopefully would help her with the elevated body temp.
It also looks like there is fluid under her chin, or maybe it is the photo angle ?
If she is pouchy under there, when was the last time she was dewormed ?

Just some suggestions...hopefully Ross will chime in soon.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't really keep her in the pasture because I don't have the time or the patience to catch her twice a day.

I gave her a LA 200 shot and also squirting it directly in the eye twice a day.

I wormed her about a month ago. Checked her poop tonight and didn't see any worms, solid and pellets...

I think the "pouch" is normal. I felt it tonight and it didn't feel like fluid. I think it was the camera angle.

She clearly doesn't feel good. Would you recommend a B12 shot?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Poor girl,
I use B-complex for anyone under the weather.
Is she drinking water ?
Is she eating food ?
Is there a place outside you can pen her with a buddy and a fan, just think she would be more content in those arrangements.

You can also give her an aspirin either adult or baby, either in grain or in water and drench.

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
MWG, How's your ewe doing? Was wondering if she had a lamb out there on your pasture that she's missing? In my flock all the sheep still rest in family groups, so I can see that even at 5-6 months this is still important to them; maybe that would help perk her up?

Eieiomom or anyone else, Have you ever tried add'l vitamin therapy for help with pink eye? I haven't had to deal with it (yet) but was wondering if giving A&D injection and then adding powdered Vit C to feed would have any benefit, in addition to reg. meds that is?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is eating and drinking. One of my problems is that the pasture isn't at my house and I don't have electricity over at the pasture.

I noticed the day before I figured out what was going on that she wasn't hanging out with the rest of the sheep. She was off by herself.

There isn't a chance she gave birth. I would have noticed that she was preggo??? :)

I have some electolytes that you can put in their water. I think I will do that this morning.

Thanks for the thoughts...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, Mrs. sheep feels a whole lot better. We are heading to the property and I will put her in the barn, maybe even with a buddy if I can catch them. She busted out of the shower last night. The basement is a mess.... and she really put up a fight trying to give her another shot.

I guess she is on the road to recovery! :cool:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am glad she is doing better. If there is a building with electricity nearby, long electrical cords work well too for that purpose.
If the LA-200 has helped her symptoms, it is best to treat once more after the symptoms improve..... It is a treatment given every other day.
I have used dewormers including Ivomectrin, Levamasole and Valbazen (which cannot be used if the ewe is pregnant).
There are a few others recommended in other posts on HT.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. There is no electricity out there... :(

She is in the barn and there is a mesh gate holding her in a stall. The other sheep are hanging out on the other side of the fence from her. I cleaned out her stall and put up those fly paper traps to hopefully catch some of the flies. I read in Countyside that flies are a cause of pinkeye.

I also wetted down all the dusty areas.

Hope this helps in preventing others from getting it.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Liese Eieiomom or anyone else said:
Hi Liese,

Actually, I have not used A&D for supplement treatment for eye symptoms.
The time I had problems with Pinkeye in a few of my ewes, was years ago and I was not familiar with the vitamin supplement. I first heard about it after I joined this forum and it was recommended for a lamb that was born with some leg weakness. I would think it would be a good addition. My vet has also suggested BOSE in the case where the immune system needs a boost.
I have also given a multiple children's vitamin to a lamb for the same purpose.

Deb

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
Hey Deb, you are the second person in as many days to suggest using Bo-Se for immune boosting. Is it because we have so many areas that are deficient or borderline deficient with selenium, when do you worry about selenium overdose - if ever? At VA Tech they routinely give the 1-3 day old lambs .5ml Bo-Se, but this immune support idea is a new one for me. Of course even if it is a good idea I'm still SOL since the vets around here will not Rx anything unless you have paid the $120/hr fee. Sorry MWG for highjacking your thread with my rant!

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
MWG, do you think it might be a possibility to put some SWAT around her eye lid area to keep the flies off - that would entail keeping her awfully still for a min. and I have rather gotten the impression she isn't used to much handling, so don't know if this is at all helpfull, just I used this SWAT stuff on some disbudding areas for the goats, it really kept the flies off nicely. An eye patch might be equally helpful not only because she'll be more comfortable but then the flies can't get into the secretions.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Liese,

For the last two years I started giving newborns BOSE at birth and have been very happy with the results.
It has definitely made a difference in my flock.

I understand you can have too much Selenium (not necessarily vitamin E), but am unfamiliar with the details.

Deb

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Liese said:
MWG, do you think it might be a possibility to put some SWAT around her eye lid area to keep the flies off - that would entail keeping her awfully still for a min. and I have rather gotten the impression she isn't used to much handling, so don't know if this is at all helpfull, just I used this SWAT stuff on some disbudding areas for the goats, it really kept the flies off nicely. An eye patch might be equally helpful not only because she'll be more comfortable but then the flies can't get into the secretions.
What is SWAT? Last time I heard about SWAT I had to replace my front door... :)

Seriously though, I have never heard of SWAT.

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
It's an anti-fly cream available in the horse sections of the local farm stores here. Comes pink or clear - I got the pink so I could see it better as applied. It's $9 or there abouts for the small tub but a little goes a long way. If you have a farm store that caters to the horsey set and has a knowledgeable staff person you might ask what they think about using it around the eyes. I used it on the disbudding areas on the boys when they were open and I worried about flies in the sinus cavities.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts