Advice Please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I have just purchased two new goats. I already have two, from the same herd, purchased in July.

The new goats are both pregnant, one is due in about a month. I have not yet put the new goats in with our present two, and here's why. My Nubian wants to knock the stuffing out of the heavily pregnant Nigerian Dwarf, who would normally hold her own. I assume this is normal behavior for the herd queen, BUT _

My concern is that with the Nigerian Dwarf being so pregnant, this butting and ramming might cause her to lose the babies, and that's the LAST thing I want to happen.

Is my concern valid?

Thanks for your input in advance :)

HSH

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't chance it. The way those guys thump on each other has to cause damage sometimes.

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Definitely keep them separate! I lost a sweet little Nigerian doe in October. I pulled her kids to wean them, and I guess with the loss of status, the herd queen thumped on her hard enough to remove patches of hair and cause internal injuries - which she succumbed to, three weeks later.

I most certainly would not risk a pregnant Nigerian in with a full-sized doe.

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I was definitely feeling that way myself, but I've never had more than two goats at a time.

Guess I need to learn to trust my instincts, which were saying "no way!"

I was told she can pretty much hold her own, but she's soooo pregnant, you can see these kids kicking inside. The other doe is also pregnant, due in around two months. I'll just keep them as pairs then for a while.

Once again.. thanks!

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have four groups of goats I keep together. I do this because over the years, I've observed which ones just will not tolerate each other, no matter how long I leave them together to "fight it out". It's just the way it is. Too many queens, not enough thrones.