Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own some land in central Missouri on the Lake of The Ozarks. I have 240' of road frontage on a main paved road into the area. The local power company wants an easement to run a new overhead power line across the full 240' of frontage. Does anyone have experience dealing with the power company in a situation like this? Any idea of the value of allowing this easement? What questions should I be asking? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The first thing I would consider is the reduction in property value. At minimum, it isn't likely to help in that regard unless you are so far out in the wilderness that power is not available at the present. Moving to the worse, it could reduce value measurably given that overhead lines are NOT pretty and some people are satisfied that they are unhealthy depending on size and voltage.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Have they made an offer...or just said this in what we are gonna do.

They may already have an easement....
Many places have utilities easements...so many feet off the road.
Water and sewer you may even have to pay for....

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
14,654 Posts
I own some land in central Missouri on the Lake of The Ozarks. I have 240' of road frontage on a main paved road into the area. The local power company wants an easement to run a new overhead power line across the full 240' of frontage. Does anyone have experience dealing with the power company in a situation like this? Any idea of the value of allowing this easement? What questions should I be asking? Thanks.
Not yet but working on it. Water company wants to add a pressure tank to my property. A small one because I live on the highest elevation on the system. I asked for free water for 99 years. Still waiting for an answer. I know the Public Utility Commission of Texas is on them about increasing pressure so we are at a standoff. Maybe you could ask for free electric? It doesnt hurt to ask after all. I'll let you know if mine turns out ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have they made an offer...or just said this in what we are gonna do.

They may already have an easement....
Many places have utilities easements...so many feet off the road.
Water and sewer you may even have to pay for....
They've offered to put in a pole and electrical service on another part of my property, where I want service, for free. They were very anxious for me to accept that offer.

They definitely do not already have an easement. They want to draw up an easement agreement for me to sign. Allowing them to put the power lines across that portion of my property will definitely effect it's resale value since they would go right over the top of the only natural entrance into about 10 acres of land which could be divided into 3 or 4 very nice home sites. It would probably be the difference between having 4 nice home sites or having 3 home sites with the eyesore of having power lines right over the road in.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Around here a power access is a selling point?
Don't know what to say.....\Good luck.

Reactions: Back2Basix

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you don't want overhead lines, tell them that. There are lots of lines around here that are underground. They can plow them in or directional drill. Worst case is they have to trench, but 240' is not very far.

I agree that having power to a property adds value.

Ask for what you want, if they don't like it, they'll say no or counter-offer.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,647 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
OK, gotta ask as assumptions are being made here... Are we talking about regular telephone / power poles with standard lines that feed homes or are we talking about big steel transmission towers ?

Regular Lines are one thing, as everyone needs power, unless your a smart off-gridder type. But to have big Towers well that's a property value hit unless it's through the back 40 as it were and they pay you annually for the use / access. They likely won't offer much, they will absolutely low ball and want to pay as little as possible. Do your research and see what they are paying others and get some background.

In some areas Big Power can get the Region, Township / County & even the courts to order access for next to nothing and their army of lawyers will ensure they get what they want. Maybe get them to supply & install 20KW of Solar & Batteries for you with a grid connection for feed-in payouts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Around here a power access is a selling point?
Don't know what to say.....\Good luck.
Yes, of course having power access is a selling point. That portion of my property already has electrical access to within about 100' of the property line and bringing power onto my property at that location would only cost about $500. It would also cause little disturbance to my property.

What the power company wants to do is run a new set of lines across my property to another neighborhood .These lines wouldn't even be along the edge of the road, and we're not talking a single wire. The lines will be a few hundred feet from the road essentially dividing that portion of my property. They'll have to come in and clear a 30'-50' wide by 240' long area (removing every single tree) across my property totally destroying the uninterrupted nature and lake views.

·
Registered
16,452 Posts
Start with the total value of your property and work backwards to meet them in the middle. Chances are they know their top number to make it economically feasible and have their attorneys on retainer to make fighting it as costly to you as possible. Find an attorney that has dealt with such issues and be sure to ask for attorney’s fees in your agreement. There’s more to it than the initial clearing. There’s continual access and maintenance and how those things are done so as not to disrupt you further should also be part of the discussion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What the power company wants to do is run a new set of lines across my property to another neighborhood .
That's what the road side allowances are for IMO and they would disrupt the Enjoyment & Quality of your property for your neighbour down the road. What makes them so special ? Cheaper for them to get power through your property than to follow the roadway access ? (cheaper as in installation cost by Power Co ?)

When I inquired about getting Grid Power to my property, I was told I would have to pay for poles and the usual BUT also that because I would be crossing the neighbours property (on the roadside allowance that already has a pole) that I would have to upgrade THAT pole (carrying heavier lines) and the Transformer used and pay the neighbour a sum of money for the trouble. In the end, it would have cost almost 45K ! So, off-grid solar was by far much cheaper and no danged wires, poles & disruption to my little part of heaven. Of course Rules, Regs & what Utilities are allowed to do & how varies by region/area. You are free to say NO but that freedom may be usurped by some fast talking lawyers who believe their Corporate Masters have more rights that you do.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Yes, of course having power access is a selling point. That portion of my property already has electrical access to within about 100' of the property line and bringing power onto my property at that location would only cost about $500. It would also cause little disturbance to my property.

What the power company wants to do is run a new set of lines across my property to another neighborhood .These lines wouldn't even be along the edge of the road, and we're not talking a single wire. The lines will be a few hundred feet from the road essentially dividing that portion of my property. They'll have to come in and clear a 30'-50' wide by 240' long area (removing every single tree) across my property totally destroying the uninterrupted nature and lake views.
In review.....your orginal post paints a different picture.
Guess I wouldn't want a clear cut across my property...although the co-op did cut across and straighten out a curve in the road.
They had the easement....Told me they were gonna do it....and did.

Good luck.

Reactions: Mickie3

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,611 Posts

Having just played their game (albeit, much less of an visual issue and land grab), I would come to a full stop. First, find out exactly how much land they want, what equipment are they putting on your property (number of poles, height, number of lines run, transformers, any ground equipment, any anchor wires, how wide of swath are they clearing)?
If forested, expect another 25-50% more trees to come down during line placement or after the fact...root damage, or uncovering weaker trees.
Also expect their timeline of completion to be BS. They told me they'd be done last summer...still not done.
Is it possible for them to put it underground?
I'd really think about not only the land your are giving up, and future restrictions in subdividing, but your time in cleaning up. I spent a fair bit of time cleaning up, and I have a mini-ex. In hindsight, I should have asked for more, even though they only took a tiny chunk (6'x 27'). Your looking at a huge swath by the sounds of it...will they level aftermath and replant?
Go for higher than what you think is fair, and let them (slowly) work you down to your number. Even calculate a reserve (extra) for cleanup. While many places have eminent domain for utilities, it doesn't mean you can be run over...you are entitled to be made whole ('just' compensation). That is the issue...how much do you stand to lose now and down the road.
I harped on access issues for my property and the ability to add another driveway for subdividing. Plus, they were going from 1 line to 3 line system, which is visually less appealing. And, tree clearing...I had some nice 100yr old trees at entrance. They paid for my marginal loss of land, property depreciation, tree loss, loss of curb appeal. Plus, after the fact, they paid for a truckload of dirt and nursery purchases. And I insisted on truckloads of mulch.
You might have state mechanism in play if you don't come to an agreement (arbitration). Ask. They are probably giving you a legal document...explain you are not a lawyer, and without "prejudicing yourself", go high. They seem to work on the premise most folks will capitulate with a menial offer. After all, a utility has deep pocket to hire lawyers. The reality is, they want to avoid that route, as not only do they have to pay their lawyers a tidy sum, they will eventually have to pay you (one way or another). Play off that fact.

Trust me, they have played this game a million times...go slow, don't be in a rush for a few bucks. The folks dealing with you have practiced and honed their game. And if this line has no redeeming value to you for future subdividing...I'd really go high.
If you want certain changes to their proposal, make sure it is writing, on legal document...nothing in verbal from them! In my case, it seems the land acquisition team only care about getting the legal document signed...failed to tell folks who are doing work, what we agreed to.

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,611 Posts
Addition: you can ask for them for a 'real' map of proposal (coordinates) and if reasonable, ask line to be staked (surveyed) so you can be sure of where exactly it is going...In my case, I took the survey fee (~2k), but asked the dimensions of RoW be put into legal document so they can't expand now or down the road. I also made sure they couldn't throw down ground equipment...an issue here in some cases. One thing to have a pole, but a ground box makes an unsightly situation worse...imho.

Don't want to get into the minutiae of my deal, but they let it be known (subtle threat and positive/negative) that if I wanted too much, they'd throw it on other side of road as they don't employ eminent domain for a service line (they do for a feeder line). I had to weigh that (a positive having it on other side of road) against the fact I'd still need a pole on my property, and I'd have maintain it (negative). And since we have trees falling every year...
In the end, I got the pole moved away from driveway (a plus), but I lost several shade trees at driveway entrance (a negative).
From chatting with neighbors, it seems many jumped on their $500 offer. I got thousands...more than a few...;)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I suppose I'll jump in here and look at the other side. I don't see it as a big dramatic issue.
Unless im mistaken that's a CO-OP fed area. CO-OPs are member owned. It's not some big 'corporate' monster...

Why do they need the access? Is it to feed additional customers I'm guessing?

I take issue with folks playing games about utilities Right Of Way issues....
At my last farm we were skipped over on rural water because a couple jacknuts wouldn't allow a ROW. 17-18 years we had that place... Finally one of the hold outs died and the other was removed from.Control by family dues to Beth issues, and every one got water within 2 years. Most were hauling water. I hauled 2-3 1000 gallon loads a week so we could have a functioning living water system.
When I bought this place, rural water was about 1000' from my property running along a county road. I asked for ROW to tap the line from the closest location. All but one signed off easily enough. The hold out took a year to tell me no... His reasons? He said he prayed and prayed (yes prayed) and he felt I was trying to get water down the road to a neighbor he doesn't like...And he wasn't doing anything that helped ole so n so...(40 year old feud with A non occupying neighbor by the way...The guy he hates lives 40 miles away lol just owns 1200 acres a mile down the road Lol)
I ended up coming off of another neighbor adding and additional 800' to my line.....Then later he asks me if his grandson could cut fire wood on my place..... I thought about asking if he was gonna provide heat for someone I don't like Lol.... I said cut all you want that's dead... Or down... but leave a Rick stacked for someone who needs it....Pass it on kind of thing.... He didn't cut any... Even 90yr old jackasses can't learn to treat they're fellow man in a neighborly manner....
Our dirt road has 8 miles of in paved section due to a couple of landowners here refusing to allow a tree to be cut or a curve to be cleaned up. I know one of the Guys.... Complains and complains about the gravel road..If he'd sign off it open up 4+ miles for paving....hes not smart enough to understand he's being a jerk to his self.

Helping neighbors is the right thing to do.... Blocking progress to someone's lifeline for water or power especially relatively minor issues such as a this.... I'd sign it and not lose any sleep over it... just my humble opinion....

·
Super Moderator
16,465 Posts
Been there done that. I believe they paid us $1500 for the easement, plus another $600 for us to restore the grass to its original condition so they did not have to. They would have had to send people out to water it every week until the grass was well started and they did not really want to.

Also they needed A LOT less land than what they do in your area. So it sounds like they are offering what they HOPE you will accept

Why don't you find out what the going price for an easement n your area is? We live on the edge of a city and we had trucks in our back yard for the summer, but we did not complain because an agreement had been reached with us. Also they stayed in their easement

I live a LONG way from you, and prices for us will be different. However they can probably go to court and take an easement through adverse possession but they would REALLY rather not. You are, however, under no obligation to accept their first offer and if it DOES go to court the chances are the judge will insist they pay you the going rate. So it would be wise to find out the going rate in your area and then ask for a bit more and, if they choose, they can make you a counter offer.

I regret that I do not know how to find out the going rate: my husband talked to some people he knew. I think they worked in construction.

Edited to add: my husband spent 2 days looking at their WRITTEN proposal, and then offered a change in to wording which was accepted. The original said they could do ANYTHING in their easement, and while it is expected that they could maintain the lines we did not want them leaving any kind of building on that land. So a half-dozen words were changed.

And if I were you I would not want them to interfere with access to that part of your land. At this point everything is negotiable. Mind, they will not take a loss on the deal, but they do not actually want this to end up in court either. Court costs add up fast.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Every place we have had there was already easement along the road and nothing we could do as far as anyone running Electric, Water, septic or Phone along it. Several places I have cleared out for Utilities and people all along hook right in and there is nothing I can do.

One place had Utility Easement, Electric people said they was going to have to come over on me to run a straight line, looked at it they was going to have to come 30 yards on me, so I told them no.

Are you sure there isn't already an easement? Most places I know of in Missouri there is an easement along the road. Most properties measure from middle of the road and there is already easement for Utilities wrote up in the Deed. If you have a corner you lose far more. Only time we was ever paid was when someone wanted easement through our property but you have to remember you can't build so many feet from the easement.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts

Ok I read on down on this. You don't have to let them unless you really what the money but remember you sell this easement you can never build even close to the easement and the Electric Company has permission to drive in to maintain Lines, this includes Spraying Sprouts unless you are willing to keep it cut.

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 20 Posts