Advice - our washer broke!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snugglebunny, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

Our laundry washer broke recently, and we don't know if/when DH will be able to fix it, and we don't have the money right now for another one.

This has left me with laundry being done in the sink.

I think those pioneer women must have had some big biceps and triceps!!!

Any advice?
    I don't mind the washing part - it's the wringing part! I don't have a wringer, and can't afford to buy one new at $100 or more.
    Like I said, any advice?
    Thanks!

2. ecbreed

ecbreed Well-Known Member

Check out freecycle in your area. Around here there are always washing machines/dryers that people are trying to give away

3. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

What exactly happened to your washer ? Maybe it can be fixed .

4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

I'll second the free-cycle route. There are always washers on freecycle.

I'd also go ahead and disassemble the old one and see if you can fix it - nothing to lose at this point.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I have been washing by hand for 8 years now. I do not even bother wringing them out. After I rinse them, I set them on the edge of my wash tub, while I rinse the others, and most of the water drips out. Then I hang them. I think that is why they don't dry very stiff, like most people complain about. If you squeeze them out by hand, sometimes, depending on the fabric, they will end up with permanent wrinkles.

katlupe

6. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

What did your washer do? I have had to rework washers for years. I once had one that had parts from three different brands of Clothes washers and a dishwasher. If I waited On Dh and Dear isn't what the D stands for, I would wait forever. I do ALL the handyman work. Your washer may be easy to repair.

7. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Ditto the local recycler newspaper and garage sales. You can usually get them all day long for about $50 and up. I've found I can manage without a dryer (when I've had to -- clothes lines work pretty well!) but not a washer!
    Good luck in your search.
    BW

8. Snugglebunny

well the washer isn't spinning - it makes a horrible grinding noise. I'm sure it's fixable if DH has a chance to fix it - and no I certainly don't have time to take it apart. My Dad has offered to come and take a look at it.

But my worry is what to do in the meantime, to avoid Mt. Washmore and keep my working DH in clothes until the washer is fixed.

I'm finding that wring the clothes out hurts my hands something awful, and the dryer can't handle the clothes being so wet. I've been just wringing by hand and hanging them up in the basement (there's a line up down there). But I wonder if there's a better way...

9. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I would also suggest Freecycle.
    clove

10. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

To bad you dont live closer to Maryland, I just listed my washer & dryer on the local freecycle. Wish you luck in finding one.

11. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

Sounds like transmission problems. If you don't know what you are doing and don't have the right tools, it would be easier for you to replace the washer. Your basement will get very humid if you keep hanging your clothes down there. Can you hang them outside?
    Be glad it is summer or you would probably have even more laundry to do. If a laundry mat is out of the question, I would keep doing them by hand and hang them outside to drip and dry.

12. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

If it is not spinning, it may just be a broken belt. This is SOOOO easy to fix and will take you way less time than doing a load of wash by hand. I wouldn't wait for a man to do the job- do it yourself- you can! really! For the cost of the belt!

13. Snugglebunny

it's not getting humid down there because we have a dehumidifier down in the basement.

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Why don't you visit the local library and check out a repair book?

Get one with pictures. If it IS the belt, they are MEANT to be replaced from time to time!

15. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We had supper at friend's the other night, and they had a not very old washing front loading machine fail. Turned out to be one of the main bearings, and of course the warranty had run out a few months earlier, so they ended up getting a new machine. The sales person at the store where they got the newest machine (first one was a Kenmore from Sears, and that's another sad story) mentioned not to use as much soap as the instructions said to use, as too much soap made excessive suds which can get in the bearings for the tub, causing bearing failure. The instructions specified way too much soap. Is this a conspiracy between soap makers and washing machine companies<G>?

16. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

There is a pretty good website out there www.repairclinic.com It shows parts figures and you can order parts from them online. The main information needed is make and model number. Our washer quit agitating about 2 weeks ago ordered agitator rebuild kit and for $16.00 and about $7 or $8 shipping and about 20 minutes of time and the washer works as good as new again------Paul

17. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

It is easier to wash them in the bathtub with a homemade clothes stomper. Get a new plumber's helper (the horn mute type) and cut 3 baffles in it about 2 inches long and 1/2 wide. Put the clothes, soap, and water in the tub. Use the stomper to stomp then 5 or 10 minutes (for very very dirty). Let the water out and go do something else. In about 20 minutes, repeat with cold water to rinse. After they drain for an hour or so, use the stomper to press excess water out. To wring really heavy stuff, toss it around a clean post such as a clothes line post and wring using both hands the same way.

Running the dehu to dry downstairs will get expensive--can you not line dry outside?

18. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

In the meantime, if you're having trouble wringing things out, there's a few things you can do. First of all if you have someone else -- a child perhaps -- grab onto one end of the wet thing and then you do the twisting, you should be able to wring a great deal of water out of just about anything -- and the kiddie will probably think it's a great game and feel proud that they're helping. Or, you could find a post or something else upright and sturdy, a door handle, something clean that you can wrap the wet piece of laundry around and then twist it to wring it out. If the "post" is somewhere water will drip on a floor or something, put down some old rugs or towels to catch the excess water. Wrapping the wet stuff around something and twisting makes "wringing" a lot easier. Good luck!

MaryNY

19. Snugglebunny

Right now it's just too cold to line dry outside - cold and rainy. So far, drying down in the basement is working well, though I do have a line on the closed-in porch too. Am I just being too impatient to let the laundry dry on the porch? It feels like it just never gets dry that way!!

Clothes stomper - do you mean like a plunger? Hm...never thought of using that to wring out the clothes. Never thought of wrapping around something and twisting either!

Thank you so much, I have a couple new things to try!

20. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It is never too cold to dry clothes on the line. Folks do here most all winter. Even at 10 degrees or so. As the sun hits it, the water will go away. Sometimes the laundry comes into the house like planks, and final drying is done in the rooms - but it is never too cold to hang outside. :)

Now, if you are in a rainy spell, I understand. You just have to go with what works in those conditions. Hanging on the porch will be a lot cheaper, but take longer, than hanging in the basement by the dehumidifier. Your choice.

--->Paul