Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First time posting here, but seems like my kind of place.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on a tiller 3 pt implement for my tractor. We have a New Holland Workmaster 60. We are wanting to get a Woods tiller, but the price is just so expensive it has us second guessing our choice. Wondering about some comparable brands to Woods or if you have a tiller you really like that is a different brand please share.

Thanks in advance!

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,960 Posts
Welcome to HT, first and foremost!

I don't currently have a 3 pt tiller, but in the past have had great luck with the older King Kutters. I'd also recommend going used if you can find one in good shape. Woods is definitely "cream of the crop", and I don't think you'd necessarily regret your investment...but you could definitely get by with a much lower cost unit depending on what you're planning on doing. If you give us a little info on what you're planning on doing, and soil type, I'm sure you'll have plenty of folks chime in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to HT, first and foremost!

I don't currently have a 3 pt tiller, but in the past have had great luck with the older King Kutters. I'd also recommend going used if you can find one in good shape. Woods is definitely "cream of the crop", and I don't think you'd necessarily regret your investment...but you could definitely get by with a much lower cost unit depending on what you're planning on doing. If you give us a little info on what you're planning on doing, and soil type, I'm sure you'll have plenty of folks chime in!
Hi my soil isnt rocky at all. Not really sure how to explain it other than pretty normal. I'm just going to be using the tiller for my garden. Wanting to do a good sized one and probably grow it some over the next few years. We live on 10 acres, so I have room to grow.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I've used a Woods (very nice) a Land Pride (did the job) another Land Pride that was painted blue and came new with a Ford 1520, and a Kubota tiller. Most all of them worked well for the jobs I used them for. If I had my preferences I would opt for a gear drive over chain, and one that will reverse, though that isn't a have to. Your New Holland is plenty strong enough to pull all of them.
You will likely only use your tiller a few times a year. Normally, for a small garden in loose soil I'd say the bread and butter models at Tractor Supply or Rural King would suit your needs. If you are going to be doing a large garden, row crops, food plots, etc, spend the money on the last one you will ever own, and keep it out of the weather when not in use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used a Woods (very nice) a Land Pride (did the job) another Land Pride that was painted blue and came new with a Ford 1520, and a Kubota tiller. Most all of them worked well for the jobs I used them for. If I had my preferences I would opt for a gear drive over chain, and one that will reverse, though that isn't a have to. Your New Holland is plenty strong enough to pull all of them.
You will likely only use your tiller a few times a year. Normally, for a small garden in loose soil I'd say the bread and butter models at Tractor Supply or Rural King would suit your needs. If you are going to be doing a large garden, row crops, food plots, etc, spend the money on the last one you will ever own, and keep it out of the weather when not in use.
Thanks for the advice. Have you ever heard of Tar River implements? Have found several places locally that sell them, but cant find much online about them.

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
You have the opposite problem of most folk with a tractor and want to buy a tiller. You have a very strong and capable tractor of 50hp to do a good job running a bigger tiller.

most folk end up with an older tractor without live pto and not a slow enough low gear and it doesn't work out well.

your problem is a lot of the economy tillers are designed for 25-30 hp. They will work on your tractor, but if you push them the tractor has enough power to tear the tiller up.

so your choice is to pay for a good tiller, or pay less for an economy version and be careful with it. I wouldn’t be scared to do so, but know what you are doing baby the tiller.....

used is a good option too.

not sure how wide your tractor is set. It’s sure nice to cover the back wheels and not leave a track! Alternatively many tillers can be offset so at least one wheel is covered so you can circle one way and leave clean untracked ground behind you.

Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Tar River and am very pleased with it's construction. It is one of the ones that till's a little deeper. I would buy one that till's the deepest that you can afford. Some will only till 4" which is not enough.

·
Super Moderator
12,611 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sometimes, you can rent just the tiller (that would fit your tractor), or the entire tractor/tiller from a local rental place for far less than buying new. We have rented mini-excavators for $150 a day that included the hauling trailer. If you rent first thing on a Saturday morning, you can keep it until Monday morning for the cost of 1 day.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I use a 7' unit a lot. Started out on a 65 hp New Holland, now using an 85 hp Deere tractor.
First go round, bought a King Kutter and pretty much wore it out in 6-7 years. I now own a Maschio brand, commercial grade 7' tiller that is so much more heavy duty than the King Kutters, Land Pride, Woods, etc. there is no comparison. I expect this rig will last a real long time. Of course it's also reflected in the price tag.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,960 Posts
Hi my soil isnt rocky at all. Not really sure how to explain it other than pretty normal. I'm just going to be using the tiller for my garden. Wanting to do a good sized one and probably grow it some over the next few years. We live on 10 acres, so I have room to grow.
I think you've gotten some really good advice here. If you're planning on using it for years to come, and doing a large area, I think Woods or Hardee would be a great choice. Maschio is definitely cream of the crop, but you'll pay for it. Regardless of what you choose, I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use a 7' unit a lot. Started out on a 65 hp New Holland, now using an 85 hp Deere tractor.
First go round, bought a King Kutter and pretty much wore it out in 6-7 years. I now own a Maschio brand, commercial grade 7' tiller that is so much more heavy duty than the King Kutters, Land Pride, Woods, etc. there is no comparison. I expect this rig will last a real long time. Of course it's also reflected in the price tag.
I ended up going with (ordering) a bush hog rt84gr. I cant wait to get it! The prize, size, weight, and warranty sold me.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
A few pointers:
Before you use it go around the machine, make sure all bolts are tight, particularly the ones around the gear box and make sure you have adequate oil in gear box, everything is greased, etc.
Run it at high RPM's and very slow (creep) ground travel speed.
Don't try to till a grassy field or the grass will get all balled up in it, mow short and kill first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few pointers:
Before you use it go around the machine, make sure all bolts are tight, particularly the ones around the gear box and make sure you have adequate oil in gear box, everything is greased, etc.
Run it at high RPM's and very slow (creep) ground travel speed.
Don't try to till a grassy field or the grass will get all balled up in it, mow short and kill first.
Thanks so much for the sound advice. I cant believe some videos on youtube and how rough people are on their equipment. I want to use it, but I also want it to last. Appreciate your comment!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts