Advice on Short Term WWOOFing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MacSquishy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. MacSquishy

MacSquishy New Member

Hi everybody, my first post here. I'm from just outside Toronto, Ontario. I have some farm property on Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario, and while i know i want to live a more self-sufficient and homesteady type life there, i'd like to do some travelling before i settle into it. So i'm thinking i'd like to travel around North America with a truck and camper, and visit small scale organic/permaculture oriented farms to see how they live and make a go of it, see what they grow, how they grow it, what animals they have etc... I'm just curious if WWOOFing farms would welcome me for shorter term stays, say up to a week or two. I wouldn't require housing, as i'd be staying in my camper, but i fully understand how farmers would prefer longer term workers who are committed to a full growing season etc, and that i might be more nuisance than contributor. I'd appreciate any input or guidance.

2. kalmara

kalmara Well-Known Member

MacSquishy likes this.

3. MacSquishy

MacSquishy New Member

That's great, thank you!

4. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

My experiences with this weren't good. I experienced Nimrods that required more supervision than their labor covered. I do not want to provide free campsite and entertainment and hard earned knowledge for a little help.
    Most homesteaders choose this lifestyle to get away from people. The few that don't write books and give seminars.

The only way I'd provide educational seminars would be a 6 week session with a dozen people. Otherwise, I have people I like that would love to come help out for the experience.

ShannonR and MacSquishy like this.
  5. MacSquishy

MacSquishy New Member

I can totally appreciate that perspective, trust me. But i'm trying to open my own horizons here a bit and hoping there are people our there who can use me in the shorter term, and who are open to it. If if can't find that kind of situation, than so be it. But if i don't shake the tree, i can't see what falls out.

6. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

I for one would welcome shorter term help....to someone who is knowledgable at their work. It would have to be more about te farming and less about the travelling if you can understand what I'm getting at here. As in no free rides, meaningful work would be expected

MacSquishy likes this.
  7. MacSquishy

MacSquishy New Member

Great, thanks for your response! I was looking at a map of WWOOFING farms in my area, there are many more than i expected, even if only 10% would welcome shorter term workers, i'll do okay. I'm prepared to work.