Advice on my dilemma

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by donsgal, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. donsgal

    donsgal Nohoa Homestead

    May 2, 2005
    SW Missouri near Branson (Cape Fair)
    I am a Vietnam Era Vet (50) who has always been blessed with good health. (Knock wood). I head on down to the local VA clinic once a year to have my blood checked, blood pressure checked and that kind of thing.

    Here lately, I've been having a few issues that I would like to have checked out medically. Nothing serious, I don't think, but still, it's better to be safe than sorry.

    Here's my problem. The doctor at the VA clinic can't speak good enough English to understand what I am saying.

    I had this problem once before at the clinic. Once I was prescribed medication that was totally inappropriate for the problem. Frankly, it could have caused a very serious reaction if I had taken the meds. So as soon as that happened, I requested a change of doctor.

    Well you would have thought the world was coming to an end. Not only did I have to put up with a lot of ATTITUDE from the clinic for requesting another doctor - but the second doctor they gave me was no better than the first one.

    It is very fustrating to me to try to communicate my problem and to have it met with blank stares. The doctor simply does not and cannot understand what I am saying. As a result, I usually get either NO medication for the problem or the WRONG MEDICATION for the problem.

    I have considered asking for another change of doctor, but frankly, I don't care to deal with the attitude. Apparently, I am supposed to be grateful that I have medical care available to me - no matter how poor it is - and keep my mouth shut, at least that is the impression I am getting from the clinic.

    What I am really worried about is "what if something REALLY bad happened" requiring medical care? I am convinced I'd be dead in a week from some weird medical reaction or just plain bad care. This is the only medical care that I have and can afford (no insurance), and I am reliant upon it for my life, if need be.

    What would you suggest I do in this situation? I am at a loss how to proceed. Thanks all for your input.

  2. moopups

    moopups In Remembrance

    May 12, 2002
    In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There is a patient advoicant(sp) for each facility, contact yours, or the local vets rep. Each pod of doctors has a lead doctor that is also an advoicant, contact that person if you need to. Your congress person as a last resort. The doctors that cannot communicate is dangerous to you, your medical records will show the faults. All the foreign doctors have to pass the US medical standards to be employed by the VA, so it is not a completely lost cause.

  3. Melissa

    Melissa member

    Apr 15, 2002
    SE Ohio
    Can you write out your problem or symptoms? I know when learning a foreign language I am able to read and comprehend much faster than the speaking part. They must have some command of the English language, maybe they don't have the speech down yet...
  4. ihedrick

    ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

    May 15, 2005
    I use my partial hearing loss as reason to get someone who can speak clearly. I can barely understand the clearly speaking docs. I ask at appointment time for someone who can speak clearly and just tell them I have a hard time understanding anything with any tye of accent. They are usually very understanding and get me with someone who can speak clearly.
    If you don't have any type of hearning loss; you could always act it!