Advice on gueen excluders

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by armchairfarmer, Jan 3, 2006.

1. armchairfarmer

armchairfarmer New Member

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice/their opinion on the use of queen excluders. I have tried them with out much luck, the bees don't seem to want to go through even though there is drawn comb above. I don't really care for brood in my honey supers, though.

2. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

You will find they are like Ford or Chevy. Half the people love them, half hate them. The only time I use one is on the bottom board when I hive a new swarm. I leave it there until the queen starts laying and then I remove it. Keeps her from taking off and going to where the scouts are telling her to go.

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I've stopped using them. As long as the queen has room in the brood boxes she generally won't go up into the honey supers. That's my experience over 5 years.

Mike

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Geesh...I have never thought about it before. I used mine on my first hive this year and it worked wonderfully. I can't think why they wouldn't move through it if their bottom frames were full and there was some drawn comb above. I would be interested to hear how you make out on this though.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I only use them if the queen has laid in the honey super. Make sure she isn't still up there then place the excruder till the brood hatches out then pitch the thing.

:d Al