Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a new sewing machine, to my husband's amazement since I already have 2. :rolleyes: Anyway, I am really thinking about getting the Janome 4623 LE. I have done lots of research. I don't want to spend a fortune, so that seems like it does alot for what it costs. I don't want a computerized machine. I have enough trouble running this computer. I also am not interested in an embroidery machine, although I think the work CJ posts is just beautiful. Just looks too complicated for me.(I love you blog, by the way!)

I have been sewing for over 30 years, mostly clothes for our kids. But I am more into making quilts and the occasional dress for our granddaughter now. :hobbyhors

I would be interested in any of your opinions if you have this machine or have used it. Angie, I know you do lots of sewing, so what do you think about this machine? Is it worth $309. Also do you think buying it on ebay is a good idea, or would you look for a dealer close by. We do have one sewing machine center in the city closest to us, but I am sure they will want more money for it.

This is something that I don't really need, but do really, really want! :dance: I don't have all the money saved up yet, but figure if I want it bad enough, I'll be able to save for it.

Thanks for any advice.

Winona

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Winona - I've had a 4623LE for a few years. It's a very good workhorse. It's my mechanical, backup machine with the electronic up/down and speed control. It's been well worth the money.

I've used it at schools for costuming a lot. One of the things it sewed thru was taking a wedding dress, and a formal cutting them stratigically and over laying then sewing them together at the waist band (about 3/4 inch thick) then sewing on a trim. This was done using a "jeans" needle and slowing the machine down for good tork.

I get my machines serviced about once a year if using them a good bit, just to keep them hummmmmming.

I think you'd like the 4623LE.

(I bought one for a ministers wife with 8 children at the time and she loves her and uses it a lot also.)

Angie

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
PS: I've mostly used local dealers, but I have 3 good ones for various things close by.

And the only online place I've bought from - ALLBRANDS was good on the sewing table that I bought for my daughter. Really good customer response.

And my dealers have cleaned and worked on a previous Janome New Home 8000 when it got a glitch from letting someone else use it with too many children that couldn't keep their hands off machines.

I haven't bought off e-bay and would hesitate to do that unless it's from a "dealer" that has a web presence off e-bay.

And $309 is the price for the 4623LE everywhere I've seen.

Angie

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well, I bought my new Viking Sappire 850 from a dealer in our area. I just love it. It has an extra long arm so that machine quilting - free motion, is a breeze. Love it!

That was the main reason I bought the machine, the longer arm.

If that isn't an interest and isn't for most people, then try some of the reconditioned machines that your dealer might have on stock. Just spoke with a woman who works at a bernina dealership. She said that the new product on the market will be a bernina or janome with a longer arm around Christmas time. So, if you can wait that long you may just get a good deal on a turn in model when someone moves up to that new machine.

JMO TIFWIW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts