Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tamilee, Apr 14, 2005.

1. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi To All;
    I've been cutting up and moving trees that were knocked down by a hurricane last year. I've been able to lift and move 24" diameter logs without suffering any back pain or sore muscles. HOWEVER, the added weight of carrying the section of tree trunks has caused my right knee to swell. Now I'm out of commission. I need to get back to work removing the trees, stacking firewood, gardening and all my other chores ASAP! Currently I'm taking evening primrose oil, which in times past brought me relief and reduced the swelling in 2-3 days but is not working this time. Any home remedy or suggestion to releive the pain and swelling will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Tamilee

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'd protect my knee first and change the way I moved things. Otherwise four 200mg pills of Ibuprofen can really reduce inflamation.

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

How bad is the pain in your knee? My knee went out a few months ago, and it was swolen for about two weeks afterwards. It felt like somebody had given me a strong electrical shock on my lower thigh, just above the knee. I had trouble stepping sideways without severe pain. It turned out to be a bone bruise and a torn ACL, and now I need surgery. If you have insurance, you might want to have it looked at, just to make sure that it isn't serious. You really can't 'work through' an injury like I had without making it worse.

4. tamilee

Sorry about your knee. In my case the knee itself is swollen, stiff and painful. I injured it initially playing tennis in the 1970's. I have been to Doc's in the past who tell me it's bursitis. Over the years I've found it takes less stress to cause it to bother me and longer to recover. I know that this problem isn't unique or new. In times past people had to work and get on with what they had to do. Spring time is a very busy time for me. I need to get the trees cut up, logs split and firewood stacked before hurricane season begins. I need to rake the fallen leaves and remove the tiny tree branches before the dry summer days, because this type of debris becomes a fire hazard. Not to mention the vegetable gardening and the grape harbor that needs to be replaced. The last hurricane took that out too!
    I do appreciate your concern and advice.
    Have a blessed day;
    tamilee

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

In the future, split the rounds first before you try moving the wood.

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Do you ever try those elastic splint/supporter thingies? I use them when I'm weakened anywhere, have them for wrists/hands, elbows and knees. Sometimes it enables me to work when I 'shouldn't'.

Cumin, cayenne and bromelain help reduce inflammation.

Soaking in epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide is good for pain.

hollym

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Start taking Fish Oil Capsules. They're good for keeping the joints flexible. My dog and I take them.

8. tamilee

Hi hollym;
    Thanks for the advice. Is the cumin made into a tea? What about cayenne?
    I'll try the epsom salt soak.
    Have a blessed evening.
    tamilee

9. tamilee

Hi Ravenlost;
    Thanks for the advice. Next time I'm in town I'll stock up on the fish oil capsules.
    I had tried them years back but when I don't need a remedy I tend to forget about it. I'm generally in excellent health and really get bummed out when a body part causes me to slow down or prevents me from doing what needs to be done and what I want to do.
    Have a blessed evening.
    Tamilee

10. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

My doc told me to take Flax seed oil for my joints. Keeps them "lubricated", I guess. I could tell the difference in less than a week. He recommended the oil versus the capsules. It doesn't taste bad... has the taste of raw grain... as if you chewed on some wheat. I don't find that unappealing.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Tumeric capsule are great for relieving pain and inflammation. You can use it in food too. Ginger and cayenne pepper come in capsules, can be used as spice or tea. Sour cherries are also great for pain relief and inflammation. Cinnamon is another good one, tho I have to be careful as it is a migraine trigger for me. I find using a variety of spices/foods works better because I get tired of the taste of things unless I rotate them. You can also make a cream with the cayenne and rub into the painful area. You can buy cayenne rubs at the health food store or in the horse dept at the feed store.

12. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

ICE, ICE, ICE BABY!!! twenty mins. on every hour or two and 800 mil ibuprofin (sp?) lay a towel across your knee so you dont get frost bitten. When ever I am sore I do that and it helps tons. Good luck and I hope your knee is better soon. ;)

13. tamilee

Hi To All;
    Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

14. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

Hi Tamilee,
    Try the homeopathic remedy called Arnica. It's excellent for this type of injury. Also, if you have access to a natural foods store you can buy Arnica in an oil to rub on your knee but be sure to wash your hands and keep it out of reach as it is poisonous.
    Good luck. I HATE being unable to work!
    Heidi in NY

15. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't be a girlie man, rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Sorry, just kidding. I know how painful this can be. An aspirin regimen works for me. Now get out there and harness yourself to those trees :)

16. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Amazing how many different cures people have. :D Don't laugh, he is one more.

Cider Vinegar, soak a rag then wrap around your knee. Can't tell you how long, maybe at night when watching TV (if you watch TV or doing needlework). Might have to do it 2-3 days, it helped my elbow.

EasyDay what is the recommended amout of flax seed oil to take?

17. tamilee

Thanks Heidith! I didn't know arnica was poisonous. Got to make sure to keep it out of the reach of my grandchildren.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

18. tamilee

[/COLOR]

Hi gilberte;
    Thanks for the "advice" I did try to walk it off, problem is I try to be a manly girl. Gets me into trouble. God din't make me a raving beauty but He did make me unusually strong for a woman. DH tries to get me to slow down but I go full speed ahead doing what needs to be done. I hate the thought of having to slow down or curtail my work load just because my body is starting to age. Your advice made me laugh and brightened my morning. THANKS!
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

19. tamilee

Hi Topaz Farm;
    Thanks for the advice. I've got some cider vinegar on hand. I'll try that today and stock up on the other remedies in this thread. Got to run in to town today and get the taxes filed. Usually have them done before the 15th but the accountant has been sick.
    Anyway thanks for the advice. I'm going to try that one as soon as I log off.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

20. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

For all sports injuries like this they say at first injury, and later, RICE:

• Rest
    • Ice
    • Compression
    • Elevation

For pain maybe try some of the other posters suggestions.

Good Luck,

Alex