Advice needed on portable fencing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by oakhillfarm, May 4, 2005.

1. oakhillfarm

oakhillfarm Member

I was reading where a moveable pasture for pigs could be made using 5' sections of re-bar pounded into the ground a couple of feet then covered with a 3' piece of old garden hose as insulation.

This seems pretty cost effective providing you can purchase or have a charger. Any thoughts? How to attach the tape to the hose so it won't move up and down or come off? It's got to be sturdy - it will need to be uprooted and moved regularly.

If I can make this work using a portable shelter and a feed trough INSIDE the fence, and a water barrel with nipple outside the fence, I might be able to take advantage of some very inexpensive (and inconvenient for their owners) piglets in my neck of the woods!

I'll have to haul water to fill up the barrel though - bummer.

Thanks, Liz.

2. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Active Member

You can get round post insulators that will fit the rebar, and eliminate the need for the hose altogether. Then you wouldn't need to worry about the wire slipping.

-Erich

3. oakhillfarm

oakhillfarm Member

I hadn't seen those when I went out on the net to look at materials! Thanks! We HAVE electric fencing on our place, I've just never built it myself before!

Have any of you seen the portable fencing kit that jeffers sells? It's the "O.K. Corral" unit - sells for $149, makes up to a 30x30 pen, and includes the charger (30 days on 4 D-cells). Uses polywire and fiberglass posts.

I would need to buy a portable charger and haven't found one for less than about $65 and solar cells are even more... seems like this package is a fairly good deal. Check it out and tell me what you think since I don't know how much juice you need to deter a pig! You can find it at jefferslivestock (dot) com - under their "fencing" and then "charger" sections.

Thanks, Liz.

4. diehard47

diehard47 Well-Known Member

interested in portable fence also. Think by makin small hole in water hose and inserting a small plastic cable tie might work

5. mink

mink Well-Known Member

get yourself 8-10 fiberglass posts and a low -impedence charger . the wicked shock will keep them in . i use regular galvanized fence wire but the tape will work too if thats what you have. if they havent been in a wire fence be sure to string a wire inside their pen for a few days so they know not to touch it .sometimes the first day they go ahead instead of backing up.
    mink

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A cheap charger can be made from a turn signal flasher and a car coil. I am unsure of the amp draw if run on a battery but if you have access to AC a simple battery charger can power the homemade charger.

7. BFFhiredman

BFFhiredman Well-Known Member

We have used the 1" poly tape and it worked well. We move our pigs aroud the pasture every 5 - 7 days and taking down two strands of the tape was kind of a pain. We decided to go ahead and buy the Premier electrified netting and have been very pleased. The pigs don't mess with it at all The fence posts are fastened in the netting and it goes up and rolls up quickly. Makes moving the pigs a breeze.

8. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Increadibly BAD idea. Don't do it.

There is a lot more to a good charger than this.

-Walter
    Speaking as an engineer and farmer.

9. oakhillfarm

oakhillfarm Member

Hey, BFF - or anyone else with experience -

How do you contain your pigs while you move the fence?!!!???

I'm trying to imagine myself out there attempting to partially disassemble and managing to move this 30'x30' pen with the pigs still in it and I'm already laughing my butt off!

They have to stay in the pen - and the small wooden run-in shelter I planned to build them won't be a true "enclosure", unless I spend even more money on lumber and hardware which I really don't want to do...

I agree the netting sounds like a better option, but I think for the cost-of-materials I'm finding, if bought separately, that I'm going to go ahead and order the kit from Jeffers. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Liz.

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

highlands .....Do not leave me in the dark! Elaborate on why it is an incredibly bad idea.

11. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Me too! One time my cowardly (sorry, but you'll see) ex-husband couldn't get his car to turn off...the ignition was jammed or something...I told him all he needed to do was pull the distributor cap off, but he was too afraid...I was the one who pulled the distributor cap off, got all six shocks meant for the sparkplugs, it really hurt but I didn't suffer any serious consequences...haven't received any other 12-volt shocks though...

Come to think of it...why not use the distributor? to pulse the charge?...granted I'm not completely awake this morning, four bad night's sleep in a row...

I'm not familiar with the systems you are discussing, could someone provide site addresses if these are available online?

12. mink

mink Well-Known Member

why dont we just go commando and cut the end off a lead cord and just hook up the hot wire..........might you want to use a ground fault outlet...lmao

13. BFFhiredman

BFFhiredman Well-Known Member

Hi:

We have a second set of fence to make the 2nd paddock. The cost is double but we feel the time savings with changing paddocks and the security of keeping the pigs in is worth it.

This is the third year we have been using this system and are very pleased. It does take a good charger to make the netting hot. We are using the netting for 6 pigs, 200 layers and 10 lambs. Thay are in seperate paddocks. We use poly wire for the cattle.

14. oakhillfarm

oakhillfarm Member

...that makes a lot of sense... it's more work and a bigger area than I'd hoped to have to put together right now but, still... it's a lot easier than hog-tyin'! LOL

I appreciate your advice, thanks.