Advice for someone getting their frist goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LiL OHNNL, Mar 30, 2006.

1. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

My DW would like a goat. What advice would you give some wanting their !st
    goat? I have a stall in the barn not being used. What do I need to get started? About who much should one cost? One of her coworkers is selling babies, they are coming off the mother soon? Please tell me everything you would tell someone concidering getting one. I need all the help I can get here. I told her we would start with chickens Which we just got the other day. She wasnt to happy about it be agreed and now she wants more already. Welcome to the world of animals, right? So what ever you have to offer let me know, The good, the bad and what ever else a goat owner should know.
    Thanks
    John

2. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Well one of the first things I would recommend is to have a very good place to keep them. Good dog proof fencing is essential. Dogs are a goats worst enemy. I use good tight field fence and have never had a dog or coyote get though it. Also get at least 2 goats, they are herd animals and will not be happy alone. Feed a good well balanced goat feed, keep minerals out for them, and good hay if you don't have pasture for them, and clean water. As far as the price it varies so much, depending on what type or breed you want and also your location. You will have to worm them and trim their hooves on a regular basis. I love having my goats, they have great personality and are just fun to have around. If you have small kids around or since you are new to goats you might want to consider having the kids dehorned. I am buying 2 alpines next month, waiting on them to be weaned, for $60. dollars each. They will be disbudded, and come from excellent milk stock, but they are not registered. I think that is a fair price for them. I hope this helps some, and I hope you enjoy your goats as much as I do mine.

3. EatChevre

EatChevre I Brake for Dairy Goats

My advice would be to be sure that before your goats arrive - make sure that you have secured a vet who knows how to care for goats. I hear many people say that their local vet doesn't know how to care for goats! I just got my first goats, and they broke out of their yard while we were away one day. At least one of them ate shrubs that are poisonous to them (Yew, Azalea, bulb plants and Boxwoods), and she almost died. I am so glad that I had a vet to take her to and he knew exactly what to do to save her life. If it were up to me alone, she most definitely would have died. My other doe came home to me with an upper respiratory tract infection, and luckily my vet was able to prescribe medicine for her, and she recovered nicely. This all happened with my first two goats within the first week of getting them!! Luckily, the second week is going much, much better! Two healthy goats now. But if I hadn't had the vet, I may have ended up with none. Make sure your fencing is secure. I took a half-a** effort toward that issue, and I was never more sorry in my life.

They are so much fun. You'll love it.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Get a good book to reference, put www.fiascofarm.com annd www.goatworld.com under your favorites online, find a good goat vet, get good fencing/housing, and stick with this forum and you'll do just fine!

5. toomb68

toomb68 Well-Known Member

why do you want goats? for what purpose? raising them for sale? for meat or dairy for yourself? for pets? i would answer these questions and go from there. i just got my fisrt goats. started with 2 wethers as pets for the family. if they take to them perhaps we'll get a few does next year. i second the advice on getting a good book and the fiasco farms website.....it is full of helpfull information

6. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all for the info. Thought for sure it would of had more responces but hey the info I got was great.
    John