advice for pygmy goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by anna, Feb 19, 2005.

1. anna

anna Member

Hi everyone, I'm new. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice for my pygmy goats. I have 3 - 1 female and 2 males. I belive my female is pregnate but I don't have any idea when she is due. I don't even know when she was in heat last because the males still mount her somethimes? She is very large and her milk sack is big. Can anyone tell me if she is close?
    The other question I have - I've noticed that some of the messages say you need to seperate her from the males if she is pregnate. The man we bought them from told me it doesn't matter. What should I do? I want what is best for my female (Peaches). And should I fix or get rid of one of my males? They are both kinda of like family now (and the boys are brothers) so it would be really hard to get rid of one, but would it be better in the long run?
    Thank you so much.
    Anna

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Pygmy goats will cycle year round, so the bucks mounting her is just their natural behavior as it seems they are constantly in rut - just being boys !

Yes, definitely separate your doe before she kids. She needs a kidding area for herself to prepare for the kidding and bonding. The bucks will harass, stomp, if not kill the little ones if she is left in with them. When the females are left in with the males, one of the males will become "top buck" - the females then depend on him for protection. When they are separate - the females will have a "queen" among them for protection while the bucks keep their heirarchy.

With your doe bagging up she is getting close. Check her tail ligaments which will give you a much better idea. If you cannot feel the pencil like ligaments that run from the pin bone to the tail in sort of a "v" then her bones are settling for the dilation for delivery. If the ligaments are still mushy, you can check again in a day or two.

As far as the bucks, it depends on what you are planning with your herd. If you are raising for milk, meat, pets, 4-H etc. then two bucks is not unreasonable. I have 3 does and 3 bucks. I will use different bucks for different does depending on the breeding line. If you don't need two bucks, then have one wethered as a buddy for the herd.

They sure do wiggle a way into your heart don't they. Each with their own personality and you will find Pygmys to be excellent pets, very loving and intelligent critters.

Welcome to the wonderful world of goats!

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

hello,
    male goats will rape females, and as the yget close to their due date, they have a scent, that smells like in heat. to keep from causing premature births, take the goats out now. IF you only have one doe, and 2 males, you need to get the bucks out now. I take my girls to the boys, for a date, when she is in heat. that way, i know when she is bred. IF thre are any doubts, just wait about 21 to 23 days, and walk the buck by the does area, and she will dance wave her tail , and then you will know she didn't settle,and you can breed again. but you will have dates. bucks should never just run with the does, even if they do want too. and believe me, they do.
    I have some mini nubians, and my little boys, are ready all the time, to breed .crazy little guys, they are.
    ok, now, if her bag i really getting big, watch her teats, they will fill up last, and stick out. her bag and teats will get a shiny look to the skin, then start watching close, it won't be long. watch for a discharge, or getting rid of her plug. now I have one doe, that does that a month before kidding, but when it comes in a stead stream, [called streaming], and turns yellowish, or has a little blood in it. bithing is going to be really soon. take this little girl now, and put her some place where she can have her kids, away from the bucks. and keep her away until next fall, if you want to breed her back then, other wisse those bucks will rebreed her, and to soon isn't good on her.
    now after all of this, make your self a nice hot cup of tea,draw bath. soak, drink tea, relax, mother natures usually does a really great job.
    enjoy babies.

4. anna

anna Member

Thank you so much for the advice. Things are going alot better now. Can't wait till she has the babies.

Anna