Advice for edible indoor plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Mar 2, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I'm new here, so hi everybody.

I'm stuck living in an apartment with no outdoor access from now until the beginning of June. I really want to grow some functional plants in here to liven things up and satisfy some of my homesteading urges until I move.

Are there any vegetables that grow ok inside? Herbs would be ok too, but I'd prefer veggies. My windows face north and west, and I get pretty good light during the day. I also have one room with a big skylight that's nice and bright.

I've looked and looked for this info in books, and I can't find it. I've tried hidcote lavender and some jingle bell peppers inside (both dug up from my garden at home--not originally intended to be indoor plants), and both slowly died while living inside. I'm guessing that I'm just going to have to accept not having edible plants until I move, but maybe you smart people will have the magical answers to cheer me up here in the city.

At least my philodendron is happy in my apartment!

Thanks!

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

After years of trying I have finally found a radish that does well indoors..white icicle. Also had success with Lolla Rosso lettuce. Cool breeze cucumber has produced over the winter in the house. They are small plants with small fruit but soooo good. Then you can always do some spouts. I do them all winter for something green and crunchy fresh. You can also grow herbs in the house such as miniature basil, chives, parsley and plant onion sets to harvest the green tops for your cooking. This time of year you could also sow some tomato seeds for small types such as Tiny Tim or Patio that stay pot plant size and then put them outside ready to fruit come June. Try and few things, you may find something that works for you.

PQ

3. hisenthlay

Wow--that really gives me hope! I'll look into all of those--they sound perfect. Thanks!

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've had pretty good luck with cherry tomatoes in pots. Need to try to keep some light on them tho. I stuck them under my florescent light that I used for reading. (They didn't mind sharing :) ). Peppers require an awful lot of light. Prob not a good choice. I agree with the sprouts tho. You can sprout wheat and any kind of beans, barley (hulled not pearl), sunflowers, to name a few readily available foods that increase in food value when sprouted. You can buy a pack of mixed mesclun greens and sprinkle them in a pot. Just pick off leaves to add to salad.

5. hisenthlay

Thanks Cyngbaeld--I'll try those too!

I guess even a city apartment can be a homestead if you try hard enough! At least that's what I have to tell myself until June, when I move back to my actual house with an actual yard (still a city dwelling, but hey, I'm moving in the right direction...). :rolleyes:

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Good luck on the move! Hope all goes well for you!