Advice for cleaning a meat saw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tana Mc, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently bought one of those band saw type electric meat saws with a grinder attached. Boy, is it wonderful. Unfortunately, it is made in China ( I know, I know....) and the directions leave much to be desired...... my hubby was waaaaaay beyond frustrated in " helping" me put it together. I just had to go find something else to do in order to maintain marital harmony.
    Now that "we" have it going and I have already broken it in processing my deer, I have discovered a vital flaw. How in the heck do I clean it with out blowing the motor or electrocuting myself? I had visions of rinsing it down but now I don't think so. I have managed to wipe it all down pretty well but I really think that it needs a better cleaning..... how much water can I dowse this thing with? Should I just try to cover/wrap the motor up with plastic or a trash bag and sparingly rinse it all down or what? The motor is located well below the working area but not sealed in enough for me to be comfortable splashing around over.
    The grinder will easily come off and I can clean it fine. Everything else was such a booger to get together that I hesitate to dismantle it. Am I just missing something obvious?
    Tana Mc

2. For 2 deer seasons and hundreds of deer processed I used probably the very same saw that you are talking about. Made in China and bought from Northern tools. I would break mine down every night for cleaning. First of all by the time I had finished packaging up the last of the processed deer, the blood and meat left on the machine would most likely be dry to the touch which would make cleaning easier. I would begin by removing the sliding tray plus attachments and then remove the top cover and place in the sink to soak. Then I would take a knife, turn on the machine, and use the knife to scrape the dry blood and meat from the band and pulley wheels. The meat etc. will flake away a lot faster when dry. Don't put too much knife pressure on the pulley wheels as they are made of pot aluminum and will grind easily. I would then turn the machine off and unplug and then use the knife to scrape and remove all meat from hard to reach area's. Also at this time remove the top sliding arm that holds the saw blade center and take to the sink for washing. I would then use a wet cleaning rag and wipe down the whole machine. Next morning before assembly I would use a air hose and blow all the dust out of the hard to reach areas.

I agree it is quit a task to clean the machine but it is worth it when you set down to a mini T-bone dinner or a nice round steak made out of the hindquarter.

Tip: If you have used your machine on several animals and the blade begins to jump its track, just can't seem to keep it on the pulleys while processing. It more than likely will be that you need to replace the saw blade. When I was processing for customers I would have to replace mine every 40 - 50 animals.

3. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Trade secret from a retired butcher: Carefully spray blade, pulley wheels, table, grinder parts, etc (NOT THE MOTOR) with mineral oil. Everything should wipe off with a damp towel.
    Brett

4. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks guys! I am feeling much better about this now. I have it wiped down really well and I will take it apart and deep clean it in the morning. I got all the deer in the freezer and I am now finishing up folding TEN loads of laundry. We have been so wrapped up in hunting, I got a little behind and had to go to the laundry mat......sheesh! I spent a fortune!!! The saw will just have to wait as i am beat!
    Tana Mc

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I know your not wanting to hear this.I have the same one like it fine.But Deer with out cutting basically through the Marrow has better flavor.So anymore we debone all our Deer.Much faster and all we need is a Grinder.

I had a movie I posted on here,deboning and taking care of Deer Meat.I tried it on my last Deer very easy.

big rockpile