Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
Any contractor uses OSB on a roof just hang up on them
Probably not 1/2 inch but 7/16
Plain no
I like the ones that say they will use 1/2" plywood and never even know the layout of the rafters. I never use 1/2" (unless that is what is actually there) because the nails will pull out of it in less than 5 years.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I like the ones that say they will use 1/2" plywood and never even know the layout of the rafters. I never use 1/2" (unless that is what is actually there) because the nails will pull out of it in less than 5 years.
5/8 minimum for a roof on engineered trusses 2' on center
Bring me a load of Zip panels
And only Advantek subfloor
You can throw a piece of Advantek outside in the rain and snow
Still nothing wrong with it

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes We unload on the back side of the roof and rip off the front first lay ice shield and paper and the roofers start roofing and laborers move the shingle around
and rip the back .
We start at 7am and we are done buy 400 the roofs here are 20 squares +-
I would just tell them to use 3/4 ply wood to patch ?
Here is one we did 16 sq of roofing the shingles are on the back .
it’s lunch time we are cleaned up all around , the Front is done .
After lunch the guys will shoot the back add ridge vent and caps .
I replace the heating system removed a old chimney and water proofed the foundation
and added a new deck .
I’m hauling the debris to the dump the roof was done when I came back
Just keep calling around you will find some one
Property Window Building Sky Plant

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I'll do 1/2 inch plywood on 16oc rafters with galvanized ring shank
Did it on my cabin
Only paid 16 bucks a sheet before lumber prices went through the roof
(No pun intended)😁

·
Registered
564 Posts
We use nothing but 1/2 ply even on a new building ?
I’ve never had the nails pull on a roof .
it helps if the guys watch the air pressure on the guns .
But im sure we have shot 1000s of sheet of 1/2 ply
Every thing is 16 centers.
The ply in the 70s was better And as a kid I could remember pushing up 5/8 ply to the roof 😋

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
Even 7/16 wouldn't match the 3/4 inch plywood already on the roof. The contractor who did come and do the job was fantastic! Great crew, very thorough. Done in one day, even with replacing the facia boards and putting in new gutters.

The reshingling job was done in 2017. We had the whole roof replaced because the original 1/2 plywood was bowing back in 92. That was when hubby insisted they lay down 3/4 inch. I think the tresses are 24" on center but I couldn't swear to it.

I was just furious because here we were with a written and signed contract saying we could not use another contractor or we would get sued and the one we had the contract with would not answer my phone calls! They agreed to the material we wanted, it was purchased from the store where they would have bought it. Most of the material was special order. I gave them 2 months then hired someone else.

Unfortunately the new company does not do doors so we never got the sliding patio door replaced with a single entry door. I have the door but just haven't got around to finding someone to change that for us.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Even 7/16 wouldn't match the 3/4 inch plywood already on the roof. The contractor who did come and do the job was fantastic! Great crew, very thorough. Done in one day, even with replacing the facia boards and putting in new gutters.

The reshingling job was done in 2017. We had the whole roof replaced because the original 1/2 plywood was bowing back in 92. That was when hubby insisted they lay down 3/4 inch. I think the tresses are 24" on center but I couldn't swear to it.

I was just furious because here we were with a written and signed contract saying we could not use another contractor or we would get sued and the one we had the contract with would not answer my phone calls! They agreed to the material we wanted, it was purchased from the store where they would have bought it. Most of the material was special order. I gave them 2 months then hired someone else.

Unfortunately the new company does not do doors so we never got the sliding patio door replaced with a single entry door. I have the door but just haven't got around to finding someone to change that for us.
Most trusses are 24oc
I stick framed mine 16oc
You cannot do 1/2 inch on 24oc
Most of my customers are older or retired
Get senior and or military discounts
That's fine with me on lumber
Electric or plumbing no way
I do PEX plumbing and have all the fittings etc
Electric I'm very picky
That's me but everyone's different.

·
Registered
564 Posts
O nice , I built my place with my son , 5 years worth of weekends .
we cut the lumber on site , we use some lumber from the area but had to buy logs so we could get done in my life time .
I wanted to spray foam the place but the guys wanted 16k to do the job .
The walls are 2x8 with r30 3/4 ply wood on the out side to nail the siding to .
3/4 tuff and dry with 1” hemlock on the out side .
Ceilings flats are r60
Most of the place was framed with wet hemlock milled on site .
Some of the lumber went from trees in the morning to rafters at lunch time.
I have radiant heating in the concrete floor with plank tile .
It takes me a week to get it warm in February but I can heat it with 2 fire a day .
I’m off grid and the place runs on battery’s and solar i designed and installed.
Good times I need a kitchen and a 24x30 shop in the back and it’s done 👍

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
The house was built with 1/2 inch plywood roofing. It held up for 20 years which was all the builder cared about.

As long as hubby can do the work I don't need to call an electrician. He is very picky about his electrical supplies too. It took 2 years and 10 stores before he found a breaker panel he liked. Don't get me started on his choice of outlets and junction boxes.

I can do plumbing, as long as the new faucet doesn't leak. Then the faucet becomes a missile. I installed the shut off valves under both the kitchen and bathroom sinks. We have copper lines, PEX wasn't used much when I put in those valves.

What idiot does not install shut off valves when they plumb in a sink? The one who built this house. Sometimes I wish I could meet up with him and bust him in the face! But it's just not right beating up an old man. House was poorly built in 1972.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The house was built with 1/2 inch plywood roofing. It held up for 20 years which was all the builder cared about.

As long as hubby can do the work I don't need to call an electrician. He is very picky about his electrical supplies too. It took 2 years and 10 stores before he found a breaker panel he liked. Don't get me started on his choice of outlets and junction boxes.

I can do plumbing, as long as the new faucet doesn't leak. Then the faucet becomes a missile. I installed the shut off valves under both the kitchen and bathroom sinks. We have copper lines, PEX wasn't used much when I put in those valves.

What idiot does not install shut off valves when they plumb in a sink? The one who built this house. Sometimes I wish I could meet up with him and bust him in the face! But it's just not right beating up an old man. House was poorly built in 1972.
Now you can just pop on some shark bite shutoff valves to copper.
Real easy.

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
The worst part was cutting the lines. One in the bathroom was very difficult because there wasn't enough room to work the saw. I had to assemble the saw around the pipe with the blade backwards. I'll look into Shark Bites if I ever have to replace the valves.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
I don't do residential anymore. Got 100' span wood beams on my latest project. Concrete, steel and wood. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
5/8 minimum for a roof on engineered trusses 2' on center
Bring me a load of Zip panels
And only Advantek subfloor
You can throw a piece of Advantek outside in the rain and snow
Still nothing wrong with it
We don't have snow load here so 2' centers 5/8" ply.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was thinking about having the guys spray it in but I got a deal on insulation , home Depto
had a mis print on the price of r30 insulation and at 9 bucks a roll I jumped on it .
I bought I don’t know how much ?
My 26x24 garage was filled with compressed contractor 10 packs for months
I insulated my place double thick every where and even filled the second floor ceiling and all the walls .
The rest I used on a few jobs .
Insulation’s is money in the bank

·
STILL not Alice
20,914 Posts
@boatswain2PA, congratulations on the new house, and on deciding to have it built instead of doing it yourself.

We are in Year 3 of our pay-as-you-build house, and DH has said (repeatedly, and with heartfelt conviction), "Never again!"

Your original question has been answered, so I will simply wish you all the best in your grand adventure. :)

81 - 98 of 98 Posts