Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
I would never start a project without a deposit.
Would never have materials delivered to anyone's property out of my pocket.
Your a fool if you do.
I get my deposit when the lumber shows up. If I don't get the check the truck goes back to the yard.

As far as money goes, that's what contracts are for.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
The #1 response on contractor forums to "Customer didn't/won't/stopped pay because..." is "What does your contract say?".

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
The #1 response on contractor forums to "Customer didn't/won't/stopped pay because..." is "What does your contract say?".
Number one is the money goes into an escrow account at the bank. If it's a loan, any checks written have to be signed by both parties before they can be cashed.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
Number one homeowner sites always talk about how contractors take money early and then walk away.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
We are getting ready to launch on building our custom forever/dream home. We have a builder, (very good reputation, love the quality of the houses we have seen him build, and he built our barn already), we own the land, and we have well and septic already in. Fortunately in an area with little to no code requirements (other than septic which we have already gotten approval for house/barn on this septic).

We have drawings/layout of house and have had them cleared by architect and builder, but we don't have real "blueprints".

Has anyone else done this and could share advice? We hope to break ground next January (yeah, it's early...but I'm a planner).

Thanks

-Boats
If you
We are getting ready to launch on building our custom forever/dream home. We have a builder, (very good reputation, love the quality of the houses we have seen him build, and he built our barn already), we own the land, and we have well and septic already in. Fortunately in an area with little to no code requirements (other than septic which we have already gotten approval for house/barn on this septic).

We have drawings/layout of house and have had them cleared by architect and builder, but we don't have real "blueprints".

Has anyone else done this and could share advice? We hope to break ground next January (yeah, it's early...but I'm a planner).

Thanks

-Boats
If you can draw your own blueprints good. If not hire someone to draw up blueprints for your new home. Be sure and hire someone that knows how to build from building plans etc. You will need blueprints for , the civil, elec. plumping, framing, roof and roofing material, siding for the house, Building codes is a must. No shortcuts in building home. Elec. etc. has to pass inspection to get electric, etc. Without a complete set of blueprints you are shooting in the dark and asking for trouble. I draw up my own blueprints from the ground up. Still have a lot of changes as i build. Build my 3 story log cabin myself. Took 1 year to dry the logs and 2 years to build it by myself. Without blueprints you are shooting in the dark and asking for big problems when it comes to water elec. etc. Building a home is a very big investment. Do it right the first time or pay the price for poor planning. Good luck with your new home.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you

If you can draw your own blueprints good. If not hire someone to draw up blueprints for your new home. Be sure and hire someone that knows how to build from building plans etc. You will need blueprints for , the civil, elec. plumping, framing, roof and roofing material, siding for the house, Building codes is a must. No shortcuts in building home. Elec. etc. has to pass inspection to get electric, etc. Without a complete set of blueprints you are shooting in the dark and asking for trouble. I draw up my own blueprints from the ground up. Still have a lot of changes as i build. Build my 3 story log cabin myself. Took 1 year to dry the logs and 2 years to build it by myself. Without blueprints you are shooting in the dark and asking for big problems when it comes to water elec. etc. Building a home is a very big investment. Do it right the first time or pay the price for poor planning. Good luck with your new home.
Number one get references for the builder you hire.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
It’s been my experience that contracts are useless, far more important to deal with an honest person.
Honesty isn't a static condition. Lots of honest folks are in courtrooms this morning facing each other. A verbal contract is worthless before a judge.
A written contract may not get you your money today, but it has a better chance of getting a judgement in your favor.
As a former landlord and a contractor I have seen the look on the judges faces when asking "Do you have a contract/lease" to which the plantiff responded "Well no...".

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
Did that too.
They stopped payment on the check that day.
Then that is still your lumber. I have also had that happen and I called and told the lumber yard to go back and pick it up. That is called theft and punishable by law. Once the constable leads the lumber truck in they get the message not to interfere with the pick up.

For every crooked home owner there is a crooked contractor. It's a 2 way street. Homeowners often vet their contractors but contractors rarely vet their home owners. I check them just like I would a tenant with credit and references. If they don't agree they can find someone else. I welcome them the option to check me as well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Of course I get a deposit , EP was just being rude and I did not want to Qualify his post
with a answer .
At one point I was doing 2.5 mill in renovation work every year .
It’s not my first day😝 I allways get paid 👍

·
Registered
564 Posts
At this point I only work for good people and I am a scary judge of character .
If I sense a lacking in charactercharacter I don’t Consider the job.
I don’t bid jobs
I draw the plans , price the job and set up a payment schedule , and then there is my 5 page contract . truthfully if I have to read thru my contract I allready have a problem .
With this coved price increase going on , I had to write some large work order changes
to cover the costs , some jobs I just put off some people got a 25% increase ☹
It is what it is

·
Registered
412 Posts
Anyone building a house from scratch should have a large sunroom on the south side of the house. I have one with a bathroom exhaust fan in the wall between the sunroom and the living room. In the winter that turns on when the room gets to 70 degrees ~11-noon every day and blows hot air into the main house until ~9 at night. I have large aluminum heat sinks along the windows in winter. That heats my house entirely when running and probably accounts for 60% of my heating. Just for the cost of 1 little fan running. In the summer I draw down bright white shades and stack the heat sinks along the side wall. I also grow mini banana trees, aloe, tomatoes, and a few other things year-round. It is very comfortable to sit in any time of year.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
Anyone building a house from scratch should have a large sunroom on the south side of the house. I have one with a bathroom exhaust fan in the wall between the sunroom and the living room. In the winter that turns on when the room gets to 70 degrees ~11-noon every day and blows hot air into the main house until ~9 at night. I have large aluminum heat sinks along the windows in winter. That heats my house entirely when running and probably accounts for 60% of my heating. Just for the cost of 1 little fan running. In the summer I draw down bright white shades and stack the heat sinks along the side wall. I also grow mini banana trees, aloe, tomatoes, and a few other things year-round. It is very comfortable to sit in any time of year.
If you live in Texas you don't want that in the south. You want it in the east.

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
I had a roofing contractor back out on my written contract after I had materials delivered.

Why is it so difficult to get another contractor when you have specially ordered material setting on your deck?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Because most contractors like to mark them up 33% 🤗
my price is my price no exception .
Maybe because the roofing is down on your deck?
I have the roofing delivered to my roof the day before ?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Of course I get a deposit , EP was just being rude and I did not want to Qualify his post
with a answer .
At one point I was doing 2.5 mill in renovation work every year .
It’s not my first day😝 I allways get paid 👍
Not rude just good sound advice.
It also matters who your working for, repeat customers, people that you know and trust.
I work on referral from others now and have no need to advertise.
First phase will be finished Friday on the project I'm working on now just in time for their get together with 50 people.
Who knows how much work that will bring in.

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
Because most contractors like to mark them up 33% 🤗
my price is my price no exception .
Maybe because the roofing is down on your deck?
I have the roofing delivered to my roof the day before ?
Would the shingles and tar paper be set on the roof if the entire roof needs a tear down?

The contractors we called didn't ask where the materials were located, just said they order materials themselves. No exceptions, no explanations. One said they would replace any damaged sheeting with 1/2 inch OSB, didn't seem to care that the rest of the roof was 3/4 inch plywood.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Would the shingles and tar paper be set on the roof if the entire roof needs a tear down?

The contractors we called didn't ask where the materials were located, just said they order materials themselves. No exceptions, no explanations. One said they would replace any damaged sheeting with 1/2 inch OSB, didn't seem to care that the rest of the roof was 3/4 inch plywood.
Any contractor uses OSB on a roof just hang up on them
Probably not 1/2 inch but 7/16
Plain no

61 - 80 of 98 Posts