Advice : butchering pig (300-350 lb) WHAT?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Turkeyfether, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

What should I expect from a pig that weight? My local yokal farmer has raised a pig for me. I DON'T want head cheese or souse. maybe I'll want scrapple,I'll see.(Trying some tomorrow.) I've asked for all sausage making scraps for myself to make.I DON'T CARE FOR THE RECIPES THE LOCALS USE FOR SAUSAGE, HERE. i'LL MAKE MY OWN.GOT ANY RECIPES?Anyway, I figured I'd get a fresh ham & a cured ham from the hindquarters, & shoulder picnics from the front, beside pork chops, tenderloins, bacon & spare ribs. Did I forget anything? He asked if I wanted the lard. I said "No", too unhealthy. But is there something I could use it for? Maybe make soap?? Any advice is welcome. I'm a first-timer with this pig butchering stuff. :angel:

2. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

Jowls and innards. I'd take the lard too. It is not unhealthy if you don't eat it all the time. It makes the very best pie crusts.
    Husband o'G

3. R.Adams

R.Adams Well-Known Member

Don't forget to tell them to smoke the jowls into bacon. Thats the best bacon on the pig. Plus its leaner than the regular bacon.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

With that kind reference toward the source of the animal I am unsure I would want to consume the meat. Possibly such a person may be feeding reject treated seed to the hog. Then again, the farmer did manage to get the animal to a good weight. :rolleyes:

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Take the lard. And the blood, for pudding.

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

7. Turkeyfether

Nope: They own a produce stand & their pigs are fed good.

8. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Then why is he a local yokal? He is able to raise livestock, and you have to go to him to buy it. I'd think that would garner a bit of respect, anyway.

9. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

For family size feeding have your roasts, shoulder, Boston butt and fresh
    boneless ham 3 - 5 lbs, chops 1 -1 1/2", ribs cut in half length wise about 4 -
    5 " wide, keep ears, tongue and feet for boiling, jowls and bacon sliced, keep
    some skin and fat salted for frying. Whole legs and 9-12lb roasts are good for
    overnight bar b q's but murder in the oven. Your 5 lb plus roast bar b qued
    will produce 2 - 2 1/2 lb of pulled pork. You loose half the weight during the
    long cook. Keep the fish loin seperate, not cut into chops, also shoulder
    chops could be cut into small steak size pieces. I think they cook up nicer
    than a chop.
    We killed and cut up a 250 lb shout today. Hams, shoulders and bacon salted
    for smoking in 6 weeks, loins, ribs and sausage scrap in the fridge.
    It was great.

10. Turkeyfether

Thanks, Faith Farm, for all that info. I'll have to take a ride down there when one of my freezers empties for one of yours.That sausage was EXCELLANT tasting last July! :angel:

11. Turkeyfether

Ed,no disrespect ever intended.We all call our neighboring businesses & neighbors & friends local yokals as opposed to wal-mart & the mall. We call each other that & it's not thought as disrespect, just local geographic people. :angel:

12. Faith Farm

Just picked up two more hogs and two beefs from
    my 3 hour away local processor. All my freezers jam packed.

We are heading for the farmers market Now, as I write. Hope to
    unload @ least one freezer today and Thursday.

Keep homesteading going...... raise and butcher an animal today!
    :happy:

13. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Boil up whatever is left...bones, head, gristle, whatever...with some carrots, leeks, and onions, and then fish out the bones and the eyeballs and grind the rest up along with the blood, adding salt, pepper, and maybe some chili peppers and garlic. Stuff this into the cleaned stomach or the large intestines, and close the openings by weaving a willowbranch along them like sewing a looping stitch), leaving a long bit at the end. Simmer with some more flavourful vegetables, turning the casings in the broth using the ends of the willowsticks. After the're cooked through, hang them up to dry...the'll keep for months like this, or can be frozen. If there is more mix than casings, you can can the stuff in small jars.

This is good sliced thin in a salad, sliced thick and fried, or baked with golden delicious apples.

14. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

It's good that you pointed that out. But, FYI, If I'd had info for you, I probably wouldn't have posted it before reading the above, based on the disrespectful 'tone'.

Use more smilies!!!! :bouncy:

15. Faith Farm

Hay Turkeyfether,
    Almost forgot. If you want the loin for roast do one side only, the other
    will be chops. You can get all chops but no loin then, one or the other.
    The fresher you cook it up the better.
    Don't have all the bacon smoked or cured. Fresh bacon, thick sliced is my favorite
    along with a 2 pound center cut 2" chop with 3 fresh picked eggs for breakfast and
    a hot biscuit for diping. Don't forget the coffee & OJ.

16. Turkeyfether

FAITH FARM~ Yer losin' yer northern genes! Your eatin' biscuits with the meals :p

17. Turkeyfether

Pigs were butchered today. This is SUCH a different life than in NJ! NO ONE has even HEARD of this in Jersey! Going down the road to the local produce market, the size of a little cottage, & ordering your pork for the remaining year,that he has raised himself :1pig: :) I feel like I have missed out on so much of real life, having waited 55 years to do what I love!I cracked open a canning jar of venison (8-pointer :stirpot: )the other day,added potatoes,carrots & stringbeans,all that I grew & thanked God for.I was never as thankful to our great FATHER as I am now. I gathered 9 eggs tonight.Usually 17.It's been so cold.I know how much work goes into food's growth.A single storm can destroy an entire seasons' labor. We have seen that in Fla & Calif. crops.