Advantage ?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by longshadowfarms, Aug 15, 2005.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had the Advantage sort of slide off the dog after you put it on? I guess I learned a lesson in how to put it on - don't put it on a sleeping dog. Maybe put it on just before they eat or take a walk or something so that you know it will stay on them! I had it sort of slide off two dogs yesterday after I put it on. The one was laying sort of on her belly with back up when I put it on but pretty soon layed on her side. Pretty soon there were some oily spots on the bed under her. The other dog was actually laying on his side but since I had not noticed the problem with the first dog yet it didn't occur to me that it would be a problem. There were oily spots on the wood floor under him a little later. No problems with the other two dogs. That said, they have much fuller coats than the two that had the stuff slide off. Any thoughts? I've never had that happen before. They also all just had baths recently though I wouldn't think that would have any impact.

2. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

Are you putting it on top of their coat?

You need to pull aside any hair and put it directly on the skin, not on the hair or coat. Put it right between the shoulder blades and *on the skin*.

I haven't ever had a problem with our dogs or cats.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I'm pulling the hair aside and putting it right on the skin. I put 3-4 dots of it from the neck down to the tail. These are all large dogs.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Try putting it on 6 or more spots instead of 3-4. Maybe it is just too much oil for the short haired dogs to absorb at once.

5. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I put it on in a stripe from base of neck to base of tail in my dogs, rough and smooths. I part the coat with a comb and drag the dropper behind squeezing ever so slightly. If there is some left when I get to the base of tail, I put it between the shoulder blades.