Advan/Disadvan of Cell Phone vs. Walkie-Talkies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RAC, May 24, 2004.

1. RAC

RAC Guest

Anyone know of a website which describes the differences? Are the new walkie-talkies a monthly charge too?

I don't really want a cell phone, especially now that the cell phone companies are going to compile directories of the numbers to open it up to telemarketing.

However, sometimes I tag along for the ride and just shop or walk in the park while a friend is at a meeting or something along those lines. They could be done in an hour or 2 or 3, they don't even know. Would a walkie-talkie system be better for something like this (rather than plan to meet at x time only to have it be a longer time)?

Thanks in advance.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................Get yourself a Ham Radio license. They have "repeaters" scattered all over the usa. Most are privately owned and accessiable by anybody with a license. Some, may want you to contribute a small yearly fee to help with the month to month . Of course , the weakness is that the other operator , MUST also have a license..........fordy... :eek: :)

3. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I think those walkie talkies are actually phones, with the added feature. There for you would still get a number and full cellular functionality. I have had my number at AT&T for over a year and a half and haven't got any telemarketing calls yet. I have also been giving my number out rather liberally, I think most people use the phone book, however I don't know, because unlisted numbers don't seem to help too much. It could be the people who you get your phone number, like cheesy, not in a bad way, online stores. P.S. Ham wouldnt solve the problem you mentioned. You could get a pager or a PDA. PDA would be more expensive and the person you would be meeting would need access to email, but they are nice if you have lots of scheduled things. A pager would oviously only work one way. It may be open to advertisers too, I am not sure. Good Luck

4. RAC

RAC Guest

The directory thing they just announced on the news two or three nights ago. All the big companies except Verizon, so far.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

What "walkie talkies" are you refering to. Nextel with 2 way /direct connect or the little cheap FRS radios? While techincally Nextel is NOT a celluar phone service, in function it is. It offer the ability to act as a cell phone or use the 2way walkie talkie feature. Note Verizon also has thsi 2way feature in some markets. Nextel is going to cost you as much if not more than most cell plans.

If your talking abour FRS radio;'s then no there is no fee but there is little range 1/4 in most situations.

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I believe many state Do Not Call lists apply to those directories as well. Just register your numbers with it and POOF! It's like all the telemarketers fell off the face of the earth...like we could be so lucky.
    You can usually find a link on your state's Attorney General website.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

last i heard telemarketing is banned from cell phones by the fcc.

jena

8. RAC

RAC Guest

Supposedly the federal Do Not Call list superceded the state ones--and it was not clear whether it applied to the cell phones at the time, because the numbers were never in directories to begin with.....

Someone stuffed an ad flyer in my mailbox once (no postage, so they might have taken ????) for a cleaning service with nothing but a cell phone number on it. I should have been able to get a reverse directory lookup, but all the internet says is that it is a cell number because of the prefix. Not that I'd ever do business with them, but I did want to know where they were.... still couldn't get an address, just the general prefix area.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I was looking more I guess at a two-way radio sort of thing (I didn't know ham radios were small enough now to go into a pocket). But if there are range problems with them too (where we go the cell service is spotty at best) then the same issue exists.

Thanks again.