Adult Goat sick/recovering from Coccidosis

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

We recently adopted a pair of goats from the same people we adopted our other goats. Silly us, we took them without really examining them and now a month later we noticed that the male goat was getting thinner, and had diarrhea. Took him to the vet and the vet said blood sucking worms, blood sucking parasites AND coccidia! Ok...after the meds and a few rough days, (he is skin and bones!) he had a great day in the pasture sunning himself and eating (he ate alot of good hay the day before, but preferred the pasture and leaves that day). The next day (yesterday) he wasn't as active and really preferred to just sit around keeping warm (it was cooler that day) and was chewing TONS of cud. He looked pretty alert, just kind of tired. Today he is still tired, but not really sluggish, he stands up to stretch and maybe poop and then lays back down as if to doze a bit more. BTW-his poop is almost pellets now instead of watery diarrhea.

My question is do you think that he is just resting and digesting and recovering? He is tiny, only about 20-25 pounds and just skin and bones so the cold probably gets to him quicker than the others. My motherly instincts tell me that he is just tired, he is drinking well when offered water or re-sorb and I see him pick tiny pieces of hay and I still hear him chewing cud. Does anyone know what the path to wellness is like? I know it's going to be a long recovery, especially with winter coming on and him being so scrawny, but I am almost wondering if he is hopeless or if he is doing well? The vet originally said "his prognosis is not very good", but he seems to be recovering now. Our vets aren't the best out here, but this one is ok.

We don't really know what kind of goat he is, but he is beautiful, I am guessing some kind of pygmy mix, but he looks like a tiny mountain goat with a full face beard and no pot belly. Also, we are treating everyone else to protect the others and right now he is separated from the rest of the herd in another pasture and the garage/barn at night.

2. Croenan

FYI - Here are the meds that the vet gave him....

Corid drench 1/2 oz. daily for 5 days.....someone said that wasn't good for goats? Causes thiamine deficency?
    Re-sorb - as much as possible
    Yogurt
    Pepto-bismol to bind him up a bit...(I have stopped this since he was chewing cud)
    Ivomec - injection
    Biosol (anitbiotic) - 1.25 cc daily X5 days

Any recommendations? Like I said, the vet was ok, but I don't entirely trust him, he missed obvious cancer in my dog for 6 months!

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I think I would go with your motherly instincts. It sounds like he was horribly sick for a while and it'll just take some time to get him back up to snuff.

You might give him a vit. B shot, and maybe see if your vet will give you some BoSe to give him. These are just supplements, won't hurt and might help. I'd probably be out there with high-energy treats for him (sunflower seeds, cashews, etc). That and lots of love and attention.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

He is anemic. Cocci and blood sucking parasites and worms rob the goats of blood. Without really good care, even with all of the above gone, he can still not make it. He can't regulate his own body temp right now, so he is chilled at night and probably overheated during the day if it's warm and humid like it is here. He has no energy, to breed, to even get up and eat good, because of his low blood count.

Keep up the probios, tempt him with really good things to eat and drink. Gatorade is water. Get something to build up his blood, high in iron. Geritole from Walmart for people, Red Cell or any of the other hundreds of blood builders in equine or cattle sections of catalogs or feed stores. Perhaps call the vet and see if perhaps he will give you iron shots. Bcomplex, B12, Crudeliver, are injections he can give you.

Corid is an excellent cocci med, it inhibits the cocci use of the thiamin they need to move from one lifecycle to another. If overused, it can cause thiamin defficiency. A goat makes their own B1 by chewing their cud, a healthy rumen will counteract any defficiency that Corid causes. Once again a tiny bit of information that is then blown out of proportion. Giving Probios along with any wormer, any cocci med, any antibitotic is of course needed to keep the rumen healthy.

You will likely have to repeat the worming and cocci meds in 21 days. A fecal sample taken to the vet 7 to 10 days after the last dose of his information can give you a really good idea if what he had you drug with is going to work. You may have to increase dosages or types of wormer.

Even though he gave you the injectable wormer, just shake your head yes, then go home and give the Ivermectin orally. Yogurt and all the other stuff is fine, but Probios is just so much better, millions of colonies of benefical bacteria, when yogurt contains one, lactobacillicus.

Are you worming your goats yourself? Always worm newly moved in goats. Cocci for us isn't a concern in adult goats, but let them get down from worms, and cocci flourishs in the down or stressed goat. I use Corid on my kids, but use Albon on my adults when needed, because it is also bacterial pnemonia coverage. Vicki

5. Croenan

What exactly is/are probios?

Also, is Ivermectin the same intravienous as it is orally? I just bought a 50 ml bottle of the Ivomec injection and I wouldn't think you could give that orally. Do I buy more for oral use? (that bottle cost me $80.00!)

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Ivermetcin Injectable for cattle is used in goats at 2cc per 100 pounds, and is given orally. All wormers are given orally in goats, no matter what kind it is (injectable, pouron). You got RIPPED....a 50 ml bottle in Jefferspet.com in the livestock section is less than 50$. NEVER buy your stuff from vets if you don't have to. Call 1800-jeffers if you aren't an internet shopper, and like to catalog stuff, you can purchase most of what you need from them, with zero shipping over 50$ spent.

Probios is a tube, it has a wheel on it with 5 gram increments. It's like toothpaste but a pretty blue. It is jam packed full of benefical bacteria, it contains lactobacilicus found in yogurt but also has lots of others. Keep it in the fridge, give 5 grams to most normal size goats, a couple times a day when ill. I give it when I worm, wormer in the mouth, probios also. I use it the whole time anyone is on antibiotics, when I have a change of feed (like when someone comes over with thier kids and wants to milk the goats, while standing to be milked by a group of kids, they can eat 4 or 5 pounds of grain when they are used to 1) so I slip them some Probios :) Or shows. There are many kinds of Probiotics, the brand name I use is Probios. There is also Fast Track, bewarned though there is an overdose level on it, why I don't recommend it. Vicki

7. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

Adult goats who have gotten down from worm overload and coccidia take awhile to recover. My one doe became ill in August,and is still regaining her health.It knocks the stuffing out of them,and they need time to recuperate. And yeh..you got ripped off on the Ivermec. I paid 45.00. Heck Cydectin only cost me 60.00,and I thought THAT was a huge amount! Gotta watch getting things from the vet. I paid 50.00 for a bottle of Bo-Se,before I learned that I didn't have to go through a vet to get it!

8. Croenan

So far D'Argo, my little goat appears to be a little better, totally alert and eating and drinking more today, but my main problem now is that he doesn't want to stand up at all. (and he loving to be rubbed on his sides and ears) He is peeing where he is sleeping and I don't think there is any new poops today, but I don't want to move him until I have to. I have a Vit B shot for him, but have to wait until DH gets home for him to get it. I am getting a blood booster later today.

He was very interested in a small amount of sunflower seeds so I used those to try to make him move, and he wouldn't budge, just stretched and stretched. He attempted to get up once, and then gave up.

Is this ok for another day or 2? I am worried because i would think that he has to walk to digest properly. It would just be the pits to have to put down a goat who is so alert and seemed to be ok.

Oh....he is eating odd ball things but not his hay or grain. (leaves, grass, and greens)

Sigh.....I wish this road was easier, any advice would be helpful!