Admitting I'm clueless...and it's making me nuts!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Jan 23, 2005.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Okay, okay...again I admit, I will never, never, EVER let my buck run with my does for breeding. :no: I don't know due dates and I've been convinced since 12/7 that the first doe would be kidding any minute. To date...nothing. Her tail is soft, her udder has increased, and I'm going insane...very, very slowly. My first kidder also has a soft tail, but no udder growth yet, so I'm sure she's got a while to go. The herd queen...who knows? :rolleyes:

So has anyone else EVER been in this predicament? How did you survive? Are the goats really just yanking my chain and having a good laugh? Do I take prozac? :worship:

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ruth

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Ever in that predicament??? :haha:

We never do the dates thing. For the last three years we have been trying to figure out how to keep the bucks and does seperated so they will all kid in March and April 9barn and weather is set up for that...not January and Dec.). So we always ahd days where the does would escape their inescapeable pen (becauseI left the latch a little loose) and join the loose bucks...or one year Utopia taught a couple of bucks how to scale the wall of the castle (pen) and join the does in heat......We have finally figured it out though. Next year, no babies before March...at all!
    It is like this every year for me. I rarely have exact due dates. I have two out of 11 or 12 due dates this year...two. That is pretty good for me.

The ncie thing is our does start sacking up early and if tehya re going to kid in the wintertime we simply bring them into the milking (cow) barn. In the cow barn in the wintertime is where more than half our day is spent making sure everyone is fed, scraped down, and milked...so checking them isn't dificult and it is a toasty 30-40 degrees in there, so new kids rarely freeze before momma can get them cleaned up.

I do, however, spend an obsessively abnormal time down there when I think they are close to kidding. And it does drive me partially nuts...but after they are all here and healthy (with or without my being there) silly me looks foward to next year's crop. :rolleyes:
    i have five does kidded out. We have at least six more to go, if not seven. I do not expect any before mid Feb, judging by udders. The three or four I expect in Feb. are where I can check them daily, especially their udders. One of them I have a due date. As they get closer (and after the three cows due {talk about another stressoe}) I will hopefully bring them into the barn as well. Where they are is warmer than the goat barn and we had a set of triplets born up and they were two days old when I discovered them.

My suggestion, get a good book, some warm clothes and get comfy. Do you knit? Do something for yourself while you wait. :)

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I'm in the same situation. We thought our doe was gonna kid months ago, still nothing. I have even thought that maybe she isn't really pregnant, but nah she has been with the buck always. Except for about 2 months when we thought she was close and separated them. With our cold temps, I let them back together, he keeps her warm. I can still feel the ligaments, her udders are about the size of the palm of my hand, but they have been that way since October. I have no clue and it is making me nuts as well. This is our first one too.

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

:haha: ME TOO!!! I turned my buck in with the girls the end of September. HE bred 2 of them. I kept up with the calendar on their heat cycles so one should be due March 6 and one March 17th on that. Then I got this new buck and when he came here he said that one of the girls was in heat so I let Shadow in with him and he bred her and she has not come back into heat since so she is due in April and then I have Cher the one that kept coming back into heat over and over even after repeated breedings. IF it stuck....she should be due in May. Not my idea of a perfect breeding season. :rolleyes: I've been waiting to see your post about new babies...Been wondering when too. :p

5. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

We tend to fly by the seat of our pants around here. We let all the goats run together so it's open season all the time. We can pretty much figure that they're all bred, all the time! :haha:

Don't ask me how, but we've gotten to where we can watch and tell whose close. Every now & then we get a surprise, but tend to catch it quick since we keep a pretty good check on them. Now that I've said that, I'm sure we'll have something happen next week when we'll be outta town and not here to deal with it. :rolleyes:

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I would let my Buck run year round with the Does.They would be kidding this time of year,then again in the Fall.

I would watch my Does,if I had one I was watching,but if a doe would start draining,I would get her in the barn.sometimes this would be very close.

But soon as the Sun came out warm,the kid was dry,up,looking good,out it would go.

big rockpile

7. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

When I bought my two girls already pregnant the guy said one was due in 2 weeks. Two weeks came and went, then on and on. It was 6 more weeks, I read alot about goat birth and for those six weeks kept thinking I was seeing signs, so I was always saying, it will be today, or soon, or tomorrow etc., One of my friends nicknamed me " the girl who cried nanny"

The second one we knew was going to have babies and figured out exactly when by her bellowing at the top of her lungs while in labor.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's hard for even those of us who have been doing it awhile when...you use a young buck, the girls themselves are young and in my case you breed all your 7 month old doelings to a buck who himself is only 7 months old, and the other is 8 months :) trying to reach girls who are taller and bigger and really don't want some young squirt breeding them! It's harder when the goats are new to the farm, you simply don't know what their heat cycle is going to be. Or several does are in heat together an a buck who is new to the farm after traveling a long way, doesn't have enough semen to cover them all.

I have an escape proof buck pen that is not near the does. So the bucks are moved into the pens of the group of does I want them to breed, some does are held out in small stalls so they can be hand bred to my buck of choice. I visit the groups daily, lifting tails of each goat at least once a day and writing down anything noticable, nasty dried sperm on tail, actual mounting, ejaculate dripping, vulvas obviously bred...don't read the calander in my house if you are sensitive :)

Then 148 days later I turn the baby monitor on in my house and start listening, I am easily able to sleep with the hum of the girls singing, and still wake in time to run out and deliver kids. Nubians are pretty vocal, and that singing hum which to me (not to husband who doesn't sleep in my room from end of Feb through March :confused: is really soothing, turns to grunting and anxious pushing. I rarely miss kiddings this way.

When I ran the boer bucks with the does all the time, I pulled the does when they where uddered up tight and shiny with their teats pretty full, into a seperate area for them to kid in which I could see in out my livingroom window. I certainly did not see all the kiddings with them! Vicki

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have a separate pen for our buck. When our does are in, we put them in with our buck. He breeds them once or twice and then take the girls out. Then that afternoon we do the same thing. If they come back in (which they never have so far) we would do the same routine. Never let the bucks run with the does as they are too rough. Plus my buck hogs the food!

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my buck was in the barn, he jumped the stall, and went calling, well one of the does, jumped the fence, and I found them early one morning , laying in the lane. so winter babies here, the nmy herd queen was driving me carazy one day. and low and behold here came the buck, so that was two. then the third doe, did the same.
    I only had one doe, that didn't jump the fence. but when she unlatched her door to her pen, she made a bee line for the barn. to go to the buck. so I let her in with him.
    she is due in may. good girl.
    but now, I am on gaurd. and watching every minute. all day. I have about 2 weeks left, then wham. but I check every day. several times a day. I have one, the herd queen, really getting a nice bag. the other s are just starting to bag some. so it will be fun.
    I just hope we don't get a blizzard that week, in feb. that won't be fun at all.

11. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Ahhh, Ruth, we have ALL been there! In fact, I'm there now. Usually I would borrow a buck from a friend once she was done using him. This year I decided to buy one at auction (I know, I know, not the best place to get a buck, but I didn't have to wait until December!). Anyway, Mr. Auction Buck has been in with the 4 breedable girls since October. He's going back to auction next month, and maybe by then, my 2 8 month old girls & my 7 month old girl will be pregnant as well. Hard to tell due dates or anything, as you can never tell for sure when my girls are in heat. And the udders get bigger, and Bigger, & BIGger, and you figure they are due any minute, but their udders get even BIGGER before kidding. And you can't go by udders anyway, as some does swell up well in advance, and other's wait until they've kidded!

You have one doe now, I believe. I started out with 1 doe too. Then got a wether to butcher (he is still around and big as a horse!), bred her and got a daughter and son (who is now the 2nd wether). Bred both of them again and got twins from oldest mom, and triplets from daughter (1 male who finally made it to the butcher - you finally realize you can't keep all the males!). So currently I have a total of 7 does, 2 wethers, & 1 male = 10!!! And this just started from me only wanting 1 doe to milk!

You are in an enjoyable hobby, but you will soon find out 1 is never enough. Once you have 2 you figure another one won't hurt, and since you're up to 3, it won't take anymore time to feed another one, and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    :haha:

Good luck & enjoy!

12. moosemaniac

Actually Mike, I have 3 does, all in the same predicament. But Tellie is the biggest and has a pretty large udder right now. One is a first kidder and the other is my herd queen, this will be her 3rd kidding. She's got a long way to go I think.

Started with 2 does, got a 3rd doe, bought a young buck, then needed a wether to keep him company. Now we're waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for kids.

Ruth

13. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Just add my 2 cents here. We bought 4 does, supposedly all were bred. The guy we got them from had a buck get in with his girls, and he did not know for sure. We had no idea of dates, but could tell that at least 2 of them were bred. One we thought surely was not because she was still in milk for a couple of days after we got her. Well, on a very nasty (drizzle, 45F) Sunday, one of the does started acting strangely, and I began to check on her occasionally. Went to do some chores, came back 1/2 hour later to the sounds of little kids. She had gone into the corner of the pen under a tree to have her kids. Never mind that there was a nice goat shed that would have been cozy. She had them pretty much cleaned by the time I got there. We helped by drying them some, but otherwise she took care of them, and they did just fine. Next Sunday, DW went out to feed in the morning, comes back to tell me that we had 2 more kids. THey were cleaned and pretty much dry. Next Friday, one more kid from the one we thought had not been bred yet. All done without us there, and all healthy. We ended up losing on doeling on a cold night. We think that the mother laid on it as it appeared to be squashed. She was a first freshener, so maybe just inexperience. All others are healthy and boy am I glad. I had nightmares about bad birthings that I would have to help, and I have never done this before. We will try to get them more scheduled this fall in their breeding.

14. moosemaniac

Oh what I wouldn't give for a heat wave of 45F right now. :rolleyes:
    I have a first freshener as well. I'll have to watch her closely after she kids. Having had squashed chicks, I sure as heck don't want to find a squashed kid. So sorry for you though.

Ruth

15. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

that is so true Mike, I have more I was just talking about three.And just bought three more .so we have lots of goats, I have a med.size herd, but after kidding season, we shall see, Imight have a really good size, I am looking at probably 20 babies or more. depending on what the first freshners throw me. But It seems it is never enough. and now, I am going into the mini nubians. I have nubians, and now starting a herd of mini's. what can I say?