ading a room to trailer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bryon huff, Jun 14, 2006.

1. bryon huff

bryon huff Well-Known Member

we are adding a 12x20 room on to a 39 foot trailer to put a wood stove in the room will be on the deck 20x 40 has anybody tryed this this will save on gas heater and give me a living room the trailer is under a pole roof

2. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

That trailer that originally came with my place had an add on room similar size to the you are talking about. The poor thing about their design was it just had one doorway into the trailer. None of the heat from the stove in the add on room would go into the trailer. I finally cut a hole in the other end of the room into the trailer and it circulated pretty well after that. I also had issues with the roof where it met the trailer always leaking, but with your style of roof you ought to be in good shape.

3. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

I have one on my property! Why don't you just come and get that one!
    Just kidding, but this trailer/add on has been on this property for at least 20 years.
    It is really neat, Five families (including mine) have lived in it from any where from 4 months to five years. We will probably have it occupied by next year again.
    It is pretty straight forward, it was built on to the side with the two doors. You step up to enter the trailer part.
    In the add on room, between the two trailer doors (they were removed) is a massive hearth. It is built about 18 inches off the floor of the add on room and the stone wall behind it goes to the top if the ceiling. There is no fire place, they put a small wood burning stove in the middle and, of course, a pipe that goes through the ceiling.
    On both ends of the add on they put doors. There is a small back porch and a small set of steps on the front.
    The inside walls are lined in cedar, the ceiling has been kind of plastered.(?) There are three ceiling fans and that helps disribute the heat and air.
    There is central ac in the trailer and a window unit in the add on. The only heat in the whole place is the wood burning stove. You do keep busy keeping the fire fed in the cold times.
    The outside of the add on is also covered in cedar. It looks really cute, The trailer part of the outside is painted brown to match the cedar and there is a tall row of trees that kind of hide it.
    If I were tec savy I would post photos. Who ever did it, did a great job.
    hope that helps, and good luck.

4. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

hate to be a party pooper, but most places don't allow wood burners in a trailer. better chech to see if the addition counts as seperate or as part of the trailer. some Insurance companies don't allow burners in trailers either.

5. MountainRonda

MountainRonda Active Member

Watch out! Once you start building off your trailer it's hard to stop. I have neighbors who have built, and built, and now they have a nice big house with a trailer smack in the middle of it. :)

6. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto

7. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

A good metal flashing about six inch's deep will take care of most water problems at additions . Caulking and a little maintenace needed from time to time.

Your not putting a wood burner on a deck without it sitting on a fireproof pad are you? I would suggest a over sized pad to boot.

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

We're going to add a "wood stove" room to our mobile by winter. But, I think it would be safer to pour a pad and put the stove on it. It will be lower than the trailer, but safer in the long run. We're going to put nice steps out the back door and then enclose them in the room with the stove. That way, I believe (I could be wrong, I haven't asked yet), we may be ok with our insurance company who really, really, really dislikes wood burning stoves and fireplaces - especially in/around mobile homes.

donsgal

9. wvpeach1963

Donsgal try your local farmers co-op for insurance .

I had the problem once. The farm beareau still allows people to have stoves.

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Thanks, I'll check it out. I was pretty concerned that there would be a problem.

donsgal

11. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

A buddy built a furnace room and sheeted it with 3/4 sheetrock for a fire barrier. People often do a brick wall behind wood heaters for fire protection-looks good also. Put in a CO detector and smoke alarms if you do not have them already-we all need them. We took out our wood "furnace" (homebuilt Papa Bear w/squirrel cage fan) and put in a nice looking Ashley. Piping the heat over head through filters. Nothing like wood heat. Especially if the wood is free.

12. bryon huff

this is a park travel trailer with two doors I will put stove on pavers and it will have a door on each side of porch and this is a small stove jest to help heat tha trailer has gas heat we have soler and soon wind renerator everything is on a pad plus a hay roof on 40 acres

13. wvpeach1963

Hay roof. That sounds interesting. More about that please.

14. bryon huff

IT like a pole bilding with steal roofing keeps snow rain off trailer in winter thay use them to keep hay dry IT 25x 60