ADGA registering

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lijj, Sep 18, 2006.

1. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I'm kind of confused about registering my goats for the ADGA. I don't think I'm going to get a herd name (because I don't feel like spending the money). Can I use a name anyway (I want to use WiNaNi) -- example, "WiNaNi's Anneliese". Now would I have to put the word "The" in front of that when writing out the name, so it would be "The WiNaNi's Anneliese"? I see why people choose herd names ;)

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe "The" will be placed at the front of any name you try for your does.

I went ahead and dished out the money for a herd name and a membership. I have only used my membership to transfer two goats (a grade Alpine with "the" at the front of her name and our Nubian buck). However, since, I'm doing papered Nubian bucks, I figure I may as well register the pure dairy babies.
    I do love being able to track generations (it's the registered Jersey side of me).

3. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

If you ever deside to slow your goats they have to have papers. A herd name and herd tatoo letters make tracking easier and are required if you ever are required to do the scapies nightmare. Its a pain and cost, but if you get into registering a lot of goats you save a lot with the reduced registry fees. Another thing if someone else buys your goats and shows them your herd name still shows on the results. A registered herd name is always yours and no one else can use it even with THE. It is your call but if you plan on doing this for a while it is a very good idea.