Additives

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Jun 15, 2004.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got to thinking ,what are your favorite oil additives?? I'll start. I use lucas products , I found that for a commercial engine it a great asset.

2. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

STP- use it in every small engine I rebuild, also put in a can at every oil change on the pickup and car. It really seems to extend the life of small engines-in my experience. Take care, Daryll in NW FLA

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I use a product called IXL for my engines, tranny, and rear ends.... however a fella told me to switch over to ER for better results......

Marvel mystry oil works pretty good in old engines, small engines, and such.... smokes em pretty good then they seem to run a whole bunch better than they did before adding it too...... cheaper by far than ER which runs about $125 per gallon.

William

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

lucas in the oil, MMO in the gasoline.

unless you have some stuck lifters and such then MMO in the oil for a while.

when I change my oil in my old ford i use a quart+ of diesel fuel in the oil and a nice idle for 5 or 10 min to clean the crud out. not every change, but once a year or so.
    as a regular thing... I use MMO, or if in a pinch and poor, ATF will do about the same as MMO. Ive used ATF in the gas like MMO and didnt see any difference in the running. I prefer to use MMO because something bugs me about using ATF but a lot of people do use it.

there is a lucas controvery where someone put it in a blender and it turns to foam, and they claim it does that in your engine.
    Ive never pulled out a foamy dipstick using lucas myself... I still use it.

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well the oil is changed every 15000 miles as recomended by detroit and the Lucas extends the interval by about 2500 miles and when the change costs over $175.00 thats a cheap insurance policy ,and the fuel treatment is fantastic as well. I never had a problem with Lucas. I just prefer it as the product works ,

6. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

That "blender demo" is a typical sales gimmick.
    Think about it and compare the operating speeds of an engine and a blender! (Just a bit of a difference; isn't there?)

Lucas is a good product.
    I use it and MMO in all my equipment.