Adding ACV to alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DeannaJoy, May 22, 2020.

1. DeannaJoy

DeannaJoy Member

I'm curious to see what people have to say in regards to adding ACV directly mixed in with alfalfa pellets to help balance ca/p for goats and horses. I pour it right on top of my dogs food when I want to give it to them. I'd be willing to dilute it a little with water first but I'm not one to add anything to their drinking water. Thanks:)

2. mzgarden

mzgarden Well-Known Member

Not sure if my goats are strange or not - but they will not eat/drink anything that smells of ACV.

3. DeannaJoy

DeannaJoy Member

Well for anyone who is interested about an update, I have been mixing ACV with some water and pouring it over the goats and horses pellets and so they're just a touch soaked and they're all eating it up so I'm pretty happy:)
    I know ACV is not the cure all, God is:), but I am a fan as I've been drinking it daily for over 10 yrs and feel it is a contributing factor in my health. So I'm pretty excited to be getting it into the animals (although I know ideally in a perfect world we wouldn't need to add anything to animals diets) but here we are trying to fix the problems we've created for ourselves. I feel the ACV in alfalfa pellets is a triple whammy, first acting as a preventative in negative affects from CA/P imbalances as alfalfa pellets are high calcium and ACV is high phosphorus. Then because nothing is ever perfect, it acts as a treatment for any negative that do occur like UC, so preventative and treatment.. Then as a bonus all the other health benefits with the main one being the live enzymes for gut health! :) and then full circle cause good health is a preventative and it all comes down to the gut! Ok I'm done with my vent lol I don't get to share my health thoughts often so I guess I'm using this as a release lol

4. DeannaJoy

DeannaJoy Member

Ya I understand that, I'm shocked they're all eating it, could be because I'm diluting it enough, I can always add more ACV over time but some is better than none :)

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO Be powerful. No other option exists. Supporter

I didn’t see the first post asking about this.

Some folks believe in apple cider vinegar for all kinds of things. It helps topically for insect stings, and it’s great on a salad.

I would hesitate to introduce acid in a goat’s diet in any great amount because of the condition of acidosis that can kill a goat.

However, as it buffered by food, it may not cause any harm.

Have you done the math to determine the amount of calcium present on one “serving” of pellets?

How much phosphorus is in the amount of vinegar that is added to their food?

If it makes you feel good, and it doesn’t make the goats sick, that’s fine. Just not logical to me.