Add-on Cruise Control advice needed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Franzia, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Franzia

Franzia Well-Known Member

East Tennessee in the foothills of The Great Smoky
    I just bought a 96 Ford Ranger with automatic transmission. It is an XLT but doesn't have cruise control and I need it because of physical limitations. My brother and I installed a cruise control on my car many years ago and had no problem doing it. Well, my brother is in TN and I am in AZ and things have changed in 20 some years. I do have a very reliable mechanic friend who works from his home and can install it for me. My question, primarily, is what kind do I buy, where do I get it and how reliable are they these days. I'm on limited income and can't afford the best - and can't afford to make a mistake in the purchase either. I prefer ordering from the Internet someplace - JC Whitney has 3 but they leave me confused. I'm the oldest kid - and a girl - my Daddy was one honkin' mechanic and I helped. I could do this when I was 30-something but I can't do it when I'm 60 and not well.

Any advice y'all can give me would be so greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance - Franzia

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Probably the best advice is: Explain what you want to your mechanic friend and let him decide which one's best for your truck and budget.

3. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

I installed 2 on my cars. I ordered them from J.C. Whitney. The ones I got were the small square flat faced ones, not the turn signal mounted ones. I also got the accessory vacuum canister. The instructions come with a description of which wires you will need to connect into. They were complete for my Toyota, but not for my newer 2 year old at the time Ford. I called the company with a number provided and they told me which colored wires and where. Both controlers work well and my installation looks almost factory. Only complaint is that when you set the speed, the accelerator speeds up ~5 miles and hour then settles down to the speed you set.