Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with acupuncture with a dog? Since June my dachshund Tess has been paralyzed in her back legs, and she has no bladder and bowel control. She has no deep pain sensation. She'd had problems once before and steroid treatments worked, but they were unsuccessful this time. When she first came home from the hospital it was a real effort to take care of her, but now we've learned a lot and she has a wheel chair and seems to again be a happy little dog. (In July her brother Dink also became paralyzed, but he has since started walking again, so we think it is a genetic thing). I've read a little about dogs who regained their ability to walk after having acupuncture treatments and have thought about trying it with Tess. It costs $88 for the first visit and then $45 to $50 a visit and the receptionist said typically visits are once a week. This vet has been doing acupuncture for more than 10 years. She is located about 75 miles from our house, so it won't be very convenient. DH has been doing physical therapy exercises with Tess every day. He thinks she has regained some strength and movement, but I'm not sure the movement is not involuntary. Usually he is the optimist, but he isn't keen on the acupuncture treatments.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
This was one possibility when my beagle couldn't get up. Surely it is worth a couple tries, compared to what you are doing daily for your dog?? With Gretel, it turned out to be very painful spine disease with rapid advancement, so we had her put down. She was on very heavy pain meds & relaxants which did not allay her symptoms. Sue

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
It sounds like the dog has IVDD, correct? There is a surgery that is used sometimes to correct the disc problem so that there is no pressure on the spinal cord, thus allowing normal function of the hind limbs. When I worked as a vet tech in a small animal emergency clinic, one of our vets used acupuncture to treat a variety of ailments. It is useful in reducing inflammation and pain, so you might see an improvement in the dog's mobility after the treatments. Acupuncture wouldn't "cure" the problem, but may offer temporary relief and improvement. Really, if it's an option for you, the surgery is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It sounds like the dog has IVDD, correct? There is a surgery that is used sometimes to correct the disc problem so that there is no pressure on the spinal cord, thus allowing normal function of the hind limbs. When I worked as a vet tech in a small animal emergency clinic, one of our vets used acupuncture to treat a variety of ailments. It is useful in reducing inflammation and pain, so you might see an improvement in the dog's mobility after the treatments. Acupuncture wouldn't "cure" the problem, but may offer temporary relief and improvement. Really, if it's an option for you, the surgery is probably the way to go.
It's far too late for the surgery now. Personally I would try the acupuncture and see if it helps. It sure won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. GoldenMom, it makes me feel lots better to see that you say it won't hurt. I don't want to do anything that would make her worse. My husband came around and we have an appointment for Monday morning. I've got to get her records and fax them down there tomorrow. The receptionist said the vet wanted to go over them before the visit so that she could spend an hour with her on this first visit. If she really spends an hour with her, $88 seems pretty cheap to me. I figure we can give it about 8 tries and if we don't see any change we can stop. Even though she was in terrible pain when it first happened, she doesn't seem to have any pain now. If she could just get some control over her bladder, I'd consider it a miracle. She had one urinary tract infection a couple of weeks after she became paralyzed and urinary infection is always a possibility if we don't get her bladder completely empty at least three times a day and it is really hard to feel her bladder.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I know that hydrothearapy worked for several doxies I have fostered before, however its more a of a soon after the cause rather than later, but all you do is fill the tub and let them go for a swim and make the back legs move, sometimes taking the pressure off the muscles as in walking will help.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We tried to do hydrotherapy. We even bought a doggie life jacket. Tried it with and without the life jacket. For some reason the water scared her to death. She had never minded the tub before, so I don't know what the problem was. Maybe we gave up too quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts