Discussion Starter #1
Wish you could hear the clear cool night goings on around
zen stead. Some critter prowling across the road driving my
dog to hysterics barking up a storm joined by shepherd dogs
Quarter mile down, joined by yipping howling coyotes off to
the near west. Couple of long loud wolf howls deeper in the
bush......cacophony ! I think mr black bear is making night moves
over at neighbours not home. Probably gonna come around
here again looking for chicken feed handouts .
Once in a while it gets like this on stead, clear starry calm dark
night. Probably would scare the bejesus out of any normal
city dweller . Oh well..... Just keep loose and listen, keep
Blundrebuss rifle handy should there be barn action by some
stipid critter. Bring it on !

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be careful. Hope you have some good light to see what you're dealing with.
Pitch dark. It's all good . I wear a pretty powerful head band
light has 3 settings. My dog is most trustworthy and über careful
ANR smarter than I'll ever be when it comes to night critters.
She was Also rewarded with a good romp yesterday on zen trail
with me . Sometimes it's just natural we go looking for
measured adventures . Just part of the steading experience
country northland life.
Just a little secret...... We look for shining eyes in the ray
of light, rather than critter body. Can almost tell size and type
By their eye glow and movements. Can tell what they are up
to . If it's no good.....sayanara to them !

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Definitely requires being on guard, but sounds wonderful too. Guess I'm not any normal city dweller, lol. I used to love the night sounds when I lived in Colorado, and sometimes there would be whole packs of coyotes yipping, barking and howling right across the creek, maybe 30 or more at a time. You could see a enough glowing eyes to light up a room!

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I finished putting up infrared game cameras today. I'm hoping to get some photos of my nighttime critters.....including the danged trespassing 2 legged variety.

The coyotes get so close and loud here that they will wake me up and I step outside to yell at them to pipe down. Been having a skunk visiting around the house lately. I don't step outside to yell at that one!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had an interesting thing happen this evening, I was assaulted by a bunny. No joke. Was doing the usual routine, sitting out in the tall grass and sage brush watching it get dark, the dog roaming around doing dog stuff. Once in a while she jumps a bunny, and the race is on! I think they both enjoy it, shes not in much danger of actually catching them, its more of an athletic event. A couple times they've come right towards me in their flight, then realize I'm there at the last second and veer off. Tonight, I decided to stay still and see if the bunny would run right by me, but he saw me and jumped, only he hit me in the chest and face. I'm not sure which way he ended up going after impact, I was laughing so hard by then it was hard to keep track, not to mention being slapped in the face by a Kung Fu bunny at top speed.

Coyotes are pretty common here, wolves rare to hear, though they come around, as do black and grizzly bears once in a while. Deer in the yard are about a daily thing, they stand outside the fence and torment the dog.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
I had an interesting thing happen this evening, I was assaulted by a bunny. No joke. Was doing the usual routine, sitting out in the tall grass and sage brush watching it get dark, the dog roaming around doing dog stuff. Once in a while she jumps a bunny, and the race is on! I think they both enjoy it, shes not in much danger of actually catching them, its more of an athletic event. A couple times they've come right towards me in their flight, then realize I'm there at the last second and veer off. Tonight, I decided to stay still and see if the bunny would run right by me, but he saw me and jumped, only he hit me in the chest and face. I'm not sure which way he ended up going after impact, I was laughing so hard by then it was hard to keep track, not to mention being slapped in the face by a Kung Fu bunny at top speed.

Coyotes are pretty common here, wolves rare to hear, though they come around, as do black and grizzly bears once in a while. Deer in the yard are about a daily thing, they stand outside the fence and torment the dog.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ty3dmkuDZs[/ame]
http://www.artistdirect.com/video/legend-of-kung-fu-rabbit/159758 [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcpL9nDVr0[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPcMzy4WI8[/ame]

·
Registered
726 Posts
Those were good ^^^

They reminded me of something, and just how tough bunnies can be.

Its a bit longish, but fun and funny.

Hmm, its trying to post it like an embedded youtube, but it isn't and it isn't working, not sure how to post a simple link.

Try the link in the April 20 post

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/

Reactions: copperkid3
1 - 9 of 9 Posts