Active Shooter at Florida High School

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bearfootfarm, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

CBS is reporting an active shooter at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Fl.

20 injured and the shooter is still at large.

It's live on CBS now

2. tiffanysgallery

tiffanysgallery Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

3. happy hermits

happy hermits Well-Known Member

I know we were watching it they said they have one suspect in custody now.

4. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

It makes my stomach hurt. I went to a school where there was a shooting and even after they didn't change security or anything

5. Sourdough

Sourdough Well-Known Member

I grew-up in a country where we took our guns to school, on the school bus. We would leave them in our "Homeroom" coat closet, with ammo, with lunch pails and rubber boots. We took different firearms, sometimes high power rifles, sometimes shotguns, etc.. It depended on the time of the year, what type guns we took to school. Most all the boys took guns to school, maybe some of the girls. The bus driver never said anything, the teachers never said anything. When we got older and the high schools had lockers we put them in our school "Street" locker. No one ever bothered them.

Kiamichi Kid and NRA_guy like this.
  6. oneraddad

oneraddad Non-Known Member

The 57 Chevy pickup I had in high school had a gun rack in the rear window and my 51 ford pickup had a rifle scabbard built into the Indian blanket seat cover. I loved those old trucks. The world has changed since I was a young man

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  7. Oregon1986

People forget it's not the guns that's the issue,it's the way kids are being raised that is

Kiamichi Kid, Wanda, NRA_guy and 3 others like this.
  8. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Makes one wonder how many folks that mandate those little gun free zone notices on the doors on hospitals, day cares, schools, nursing homes, banks, etc believe in them enough to put them on the front doors of their homes.

Kiamichi Kid, hardrock and NRA_guy like this.
  9. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

Not to take anything away from today's tragedy but I read in another thread that this makes 18 "school shootings" this year so far, 8 of which no one was injured and two were accidental. That brings us to 8 intentional shootings with casualties. In a country of three hundred million people and probably at least that many guns, the odds of 8 people going nuts really isn't a bad average. Wish we could get those numbers down to zero, but there's just not enough unicorn farts available to do that.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Well-Known Member

My mama taught me to shoot a .22 single shot rifle off our front porch when I was around the age of 6. (We lived WAAAAY out in the country on a farm on a dirt road.)

I have owned and carried guns since I was in high school, and I am an active member of the NRA, but I don't hunt.

I have been trying to figure out the root cause of mass shootings in the US.

The first such incident that I was aware of was the Texas Tower shooting in 1966:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_tower_shooting

We surely had ready access to guns prior to 1966. (Hardware stores sold guns and ammo, and you could mail order a gun from a vendor anywhere in the US; my dad ordered a shotgun from Sears and it was delivered to our house by the US Post Office.)

I do see a correlation (I know: correlation does not equal causation) with the following trends here in the US:

1. Mass violation of laws such as Vietnam War protests and civil rights protests in the streets---rather than the old method of going to the courts to overturn laws deemed "bad". The news media fanned the flames of protests in order to increase sales. But it evolved into an attitude of, "If you don't like a law/speed limit/stop sign/or whatever, ignore it and they probably won't catch you. If they do, they probably won't prosecute you. If they catch and prosecute you, you can get a lawyer to help you win the case. Even if they catch and prosecute you, they will give you a slap on the wrist."

2. More instantaneous news coverage of such events. TV coverage gives instant fame to a nobody.

3. We used to lock up "crazy" folks; now we give them psychotropic drugs. Of course, illegal drugs are more readily available, too.

4. Religion has diminished. That has eliminated self-enforced moral standards for most Americans. We cannot have police everywhere making everybody do what is right all of the time. The US was founded on the assumption that most folks will do what is right most of the time. That is an essential element of freedom.

5. The old fashioned family structure (working dad, stay-at-home mom instilling moral behavior in young children) has pretty well gone away.

6. Virtually everybody in the US has looked around and has seen folks who prosper through shady behavior (including government officials) and they want their piece of the pie. Contrary to the old saying, crime pays and it pays well.

I am sure there are more, but I do not foresee the clock turning back until (and unless) there are some major changes in the US. And those changes will not come via the ballot box or a sudden change in the average US citizen.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  11. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

Armed teachers might help too.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  12. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget that parents are no longer permitted to punish or correct their children's bad behavior. It's not only corporal punishment that is forbidden but it seems every thing a parent does to correct a child can get them in trouble with CPS if the child complains to the school or police.

When my son was in school the school personnel would not answer the phones after a certain time because they would regularly get a dozen or more bomb threats daily. Caller tracing was available at the time and cell phones were very rare. They could have caught and prosecuted the callers but "didn't want to be bothered with the hassle". How many kids who really need help are falling through the cracks because nobody wants to bother with the hassle? How many parents are afraid to ask for help with troublesome children because they are afraid of CPS and the police?

My heart breaks for the families of the victims and the family of the shooter. To go through that kind of situation is all to quickly becoming a parents worst nightmare.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  13. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

How is it that they are being raised?
    My kids and my grandson were/are raised in a family with an intact marriage, stay at Home mom and whole “good old days” kind of deal. I know others who were single parents who did a fantastic job raising kids who are happy and successful. What is it about how kids are being raised nowadays?

14. Oregon1986

In general kids are not being raised with knowledge about gun safety or consequences of handling a gun.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

You think mass shooters don’t know about the consequences of handling guns?

16. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I guess it would be best to teach your kid not to be a white nationalist.

"The leader of a white nationalist militia says Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz was a member of his group and participated in paramilitary drills in Tallahassee.

Jordan Jereb told The Associated Press on Thursday that his group wants Florida to become its own white ethno-state. He said his group holds “spontaneous random demonstrations” and tries not to participate in the modern world."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/brea...ting-suspect-was-member/ar-BBJbhvT?li=BBnb7Kz

17. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

if your kids are not killers then That should be a good example.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  18. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

If the home-life and upbringing is the problem,where are the mass shootings in the intercity schools?:(

Lisa in WA likes this.
  19. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

Metal detectors and armed guards. Arm the teachers and I’ll bet there won’t be an issue.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.