Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are on the hunt for our spot of land and seeking advice and seeing if anyone out there knows of some places. Our max budget is probably about 250k. Though 200k would be better. Particularly if it is totally raw land.1 Seclusion is a high priority. Water and timber are more important, obviously. Flowing water would be preferable. As well as some degree of mountains. We are looking for a minimum of 40 +/- acres but are wanting as much acreage as we can get (so long as it meets the relevant parameters). No HOAs. No covenants, etc.

Access to power is not important. We are going off grid. Some degree of accessibility to the property is preferred. It doesn't have to be great. I'm willing to clear land as needed and we have AWD.

We are currently living in Oklahoma and looking most heavily in the Ozarks. Largely because it is easier to go see properties but we aren't 100% sold on any particular state. We also really love the Rockies but the water (and often timber) issue has us leaning away from them. Unless someone knows of one hell of an oasis out there.

Additionally, we do plan on having some livestock. Mostly chickens and the sort but also some sheep, as my wife is one hell of an artisan and works mosly with wool. Possibly some alpacas as well.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, y'all!

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Let your fingers do the walking initially - online.

Reactions: PnB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, my fingers have walked cross country a few times over. We are going to go visit some spots in the next few months, plague depending.

Top choices currently are Arkansas and Vermont. The former largely because it is so convenient to us and meets our parameters (Vermont is my personal top but the wife hasn't ever been there).

I'm more literally trying to see if people know of acreage for sale in their areas. Stuff that isn't on Zillow (landandfarm.com is better). Or, if they have some relevant advice that perhaps we had not thought of. Perhaps a hidden gem in a state that is mostly off our radar. Anything really. I've seen just about everything the internet has at this point though and growing up, the best spots were always the ones a friend just knew about.

Thanks for responding! Happy 4th!
Let your fingers do the walking initially - online.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,203 Posts
There are for sale signs in the Alton/Thayer area of southern Missouri.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also interested in purchasing 5 acres in the Ozarks, anybody have an opinion on this area for a small homestead? The one thing that steers me away from this area is that Missouri is the meth capital of the country?

·
41,203 Posts
There are several tick diseases indigenous in Missouri. I know several folks that had one or the other.

·
41,203 Posts
I have an older home in Missouri that has been fixed up. I normally live there part of the summers, but this year has been messed up because of the Covid virus. I have wonderful neighbors who are looking after it while I am in Central Texas.

Overall, yes, I love the time that I do spend in Missouri. Spring and autumn are especially marvelous. When I purchased the property, I said, "I finally have my hills, rocks, and trees." I have 40 acres, the house, an 1800s era log barn, and a couple of other out buildings.

Gardening there is done TOTALLY in raised beds. The native soil is too rocky for gardening. Guessing when the last spring freeze is going to happen requires purchasing started plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) There are native blackberries all along the roads and in some of the wooded areas. We have improved berries by the garden.

Deer and turkey are plentiful. I have a neighbor who brings his children to hunt on my place.

There is a water well for the house and a lagoon septic system (which I had never heard of before I moved there.) It's basically a small pond downhill from the house, and the septic lines from the house flow into it. It is screened from view by trees.

The ticks are HORRIBLE first thing in the spring, taper off through the summer, and disappear again after a good killing frost.

We used to get more snow in the winters than we do now. We do get the occasional ice storm in the winter.

Recreationally, there are trails to hike and rivers to canoe. Some fishing, but not a lot.

Culturally, there are usually two Ozark Heritage events per year in West Plains, and more within driving distance. One also draws pioneer re-enactors and jumping mules and fantastic music. The other doesn't have mules. There are other local music venues, if they haven't been put out of business. Car shows used to happen a couple of times per summer.

A favorite activity is attending auctions. Because land and homesteads sell slowly there, most times granma's farm is put up for auction with everything in the home and barn up for bidding. I just received an auction notice, so those are still going on. I have met some great folks who have become lifelong friends at auctions.

Taxes are VERY LOW. Unlike Texas, the county taxes tractors, trailers, etc., but it's still reasonable.

If you are looking for a place, you need to consider several things. Don't plan on finding a job there, as there aren't many. Decide how far away from a doctor and hospital you want to live. How far down a gravel road do you want to be? Will the road be passable (due to the steepness and mud) if it rains a LOT or ices over?

Because it's in the country, you will see mice, pack rats, chipmunks, raccoons, wasps, snakes, wood chucks, and all sorts of critters. If those scare you, don't go.

Be aware of the New Madrid Fault. Don't buy too close to that. I have purchased earthquake insurance, which isn't very expensive.

Be aware of flood zones.

Find out where the local fire department is and how long they would take to get to your house.

Join local organizations, go to church and school events, and DO NOT TELL THEM HOW THINGS WERE DONE WHERE YOU USED TO LIVE. Smile and wave at EVERY car that approaches you on the two lane country roads, and it doesn't matter if you know them or not. If you don't wave, you will be the uppity foreigner.

Meet your potential neighbors before you buy. Keep an eye out for meth mouth.

See if you can find out where the old guys have coffee every morning. Go be a fly on the wall and listen. Barber shops are good for that tactic, too.

Do NOT talk about your neighbors in town if you are mad at them. Whoever you are talking to is probably their sister in law. Or cousin. Or ex.

Introduce yourself to local law enforcement. Have a good conversation. Be aware that it is possible that one member of the department is selling drugs or fencing stolen property. Just one of those things, so watch how many personal details you disclose.

Daggummit, now I need to get up there. Soon. Maybe for the fall color. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an older home in Missouri that has been fixed up. I normally live there part of the summers, but this year has been messed up because of the Covid virus. I have wonderful neighbors who are looking after it while I am in Central Texas.

Overall, yes, I love the time that I do spend in Missouri. Spring and autumn are especially marvelous. When I purchased the property, I said, "I finally have my hills, rocks, and trees." I have 40 acres, the house, an 1800s era log barn, and a couple of other out buildings.

Gardening there is done TOTALLY in raised beds. The native soil is too rocky for gardening. Guessing when the last spring freeze is going to happen requires purchasing started plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) There are native blackberries all along the roads and in some of the wooded areas. We have improved berries by the garden.

Deer and turkey are plentiful. I have a neighbor who brings his children to hunt on my place.

There is a water well for the house and a lagoon septic system (which I had never heard of before I moved there.) It's basically a small pond downhill from the house, and the septic lines from the house flow into it. It is screened from view by trees.

The ticks are HORRIBLE first thing in the spring, taper off through the summer, and disappear again after a good killing frost.

We used to get more snow in the winters than we do now. We do get the occasional ice storm in the winter.

Recreationally, there are trails to hike and rivers to canoe. Some fishing, but not a lot.

Culturally, there are usually two Ozark Heritage events per year in West Plains, and more within driving distance. One also draws pioneer re-enactors and jumping mules and fantastic music. The other doesn't have mules. There are other local music venues, if they haven't been put out of business. Car shows used to happen a couple of times per summer.

A favorite activity is attending auctions. Because land and homesteads sell slowly there, most times granma's farm is put up for auction with everything in the home and barn up for bidding. I just received an auction notice, so those are still going on. I have met some great folks who have become lifelong friends at auctions.

Taxes are VERY LOW. Unlike Texas, the county taxes tractors, trailers, etc., but it's still reasonable.

If you are looking for a place, you need to consider several things. Don't plan on finding a job there, as there aren't many. Decide how far away from a doctor and hospital you want to live. How far down a gravel road do you want to be? Will the road be passable (due to the steepness and mud) if it rains a LOT or ices over?

Because it's in the country, you will see mice, pack rats, chipmunks, raccoons, wasps, snakes, wood chucks, and all sorts of critters. If those scare you, don't go.

Be aware of the New Madrid Fault. Don't buy too close to that. I have purchased earthquake insurance, which isn't very expensive.

Be aware of flood zones.

Find out where the local fire department is and how long they would take to get to your house.

Join local organizations, go to church and school events, and DO NOT TELL THEM HOW THINGS WERE DONE WHERE YOU USED TO LIVE. Smile and wave at EVERY car that approaches you on the two lane country roads, and it doesn't matter if you know them or not. If you don't wave, you will be the uppity foreigner.

Meet your potential neighbors before you buy. Keep an eye out for meth mouth.

See if you can find out where the old guys have coffee every morning. Go be a fly on the wall and listen. Barber shops are good for that tactic, too.

Do NOT talk about your neighbors in town if you are mad at them. Whoever you are talking to is probably their sister in law. Or cousin. Or ex.

Introduce yourself to local law enforcement. Have a good conversation. Be aware that it is possible that one member of the department is selling drugs or fencing stolen property. Just one of those things, so watch how many personal details you disclose.

Daggummit, now I need to get up there. Soon. Maybe for the fall color. :)
Wow, you are amazing! I'm 36 years old, from Iowa and looking to buy 5 acres so I can build a small cabin. Southern Missouri is on my list of places to live along with Arkansas and Tennessee. I'd be willing to look after your home if that interests you? I'm a self taught carpenter and have built two tiny houses on trailers, so I'm always looking for odd jobs. I also love old tools as flea markets and auctions are the best place to find them. I really respect the Amish as well because they are true craftsmen who can build furniture with hand tools, and I love how the women sew their clothes and take care of their children. My problem with Tennessee is way to many people and bumper to bumper traffic, but it's very beautiful! I think with this pandemic, land is going to be very scarce!

·
41,203 Posts
It’s interesting to try to figure out the impact of Covid on the economy and real estate. People are fleeing cities in California, fleeing the fires, etc. A large number of folks nationwide have moved home to live with parents. I am not sure if the rest of the movers will have funds to buy property when they get where they are going.

Thank you for the offer to look after the house. I have tried that twice, and it didn’t end well either time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate your honesty, I really wouldn't want anybody outside of my family living in my home either, to many things can go south. I was just in Montana and people are flooding into Bozeman buying your average 3 bedroom cookie cutter house for $500,000! I can't compete with that, I'm a poor country boy.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
It’s interesting to try to figure out the impact of Covid on the economy and real estate. People are fleeing cities in California, fleeing the fires, etc. A large number of folks nationwide have moved home to live with parents. I am not sure if the rest of the movers will have funds to buy property when they get where they are going.

Thank you for the offer to look after the house. I have tried that twice, and it didn’t end well either time.
I'm just curious to see what a 1800's log home looks like. Got any photos?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I live in the Southwest Missouri Ozarks. I'd be glad to share what I've learned of the area having lived here pretty much for the last 32 years.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,131 Posts
Lots for sale here in Vermont, the yuppies are snatching them up quick though (and paying a mint for them). If you don't like cold and dark and winter, I'd head for the Ozarks. Summers are lovely though, especially here by the lake.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm originally from New England, (Storrs, Connecticut) I love it there but the cost of EVERYTHING is too bloomin' expensive.

I worked on a dairy in Randolph Center for awhile.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I found my dream permaculture Paradise where I've been for about a year now. Please follow my link as I do get a kickback in partial payments. hope that's not a violation of the forms turn terms of service. I have paid off one of my acreages in fall and have a deed on the way and I'm making monthly payments on the other acreage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts