Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted some purple top turnips for the chickens to supplement their food. I got the bright idea to try some. I fried some onions then added water and beef bouillon then the turnips. Yuck yuck yuck is all I can say!! :yuck: I tried it raw to and spit that right out!! More for the chickens I guess.

I bought some non homogenized low temp pasteurized milk at the Amish store. I doesn't make me want to spit it out but it does have a different taste, kinda like a wang. I'm drinking it but it's different.

I may acquire a taste for the milk but not the turnips.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I'm not familiar with turnips, but I buy some to put in stew. They have purple tops, and taste radishy? I like them raw or cooked. Maybe not the same?

Cow milk is very sensitive to what they've eaten. I always took morning milk for the house...after they'd had nothing but cottonseed cake and grain, plus good alfalfa through the night. If I took evening milk (after they had pastured), it always had an off taste, sometimes a very strong taste! Boys said they could tell the difference between store milk and morning milk,.. I couldn't. Hardly ever skimmed cream off either.

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
I doesn't make me want to spit it out but it does have a different taste, kinda like a wang. I'm drinking it but it's different.
Is that one of those colloquial southern terms that us yankees will just never understand? LOL

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that one of those colloquial southern terms that us yankees will just never understand? LOL
Well it sounds like it from the comments above!! We've always used it around here. Maybe a TN thing you just wouldn't understand. It means :yuck: !!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just started liking turnip greens a few years ago. I've never cooked them. They are very good cooked right. I like mustard greens too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I never liked turnips till I got married. My MIL cooked some and invited me to taste. I just knew I would barf but not to hurt her feeling, I did taste them. She had mashed them, added butter, salt and pepper and 2 Tablespoons of sugar. I have loved turnips ever since. In fact I had them for dinner today.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:ashamed: I have just been informed of what a wang is!! I really should edit that post but I'm not going to. You can bet THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEANT!! :D :facepalm::umno:Maybe it's a Northern thing I wished I had understood before using it in a post!!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw a video of some being cooked with apples to take the bitter out. I was going to give these to the chickens but I may add some butter and sugar. Then again I don't know if I will ever get over eating them!! Lol

1 - 20 of 52 Posts