ACL tear

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by mnn2501, Apr 16, 2020.

1. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Anyone have experience with an ACL tear in a large (80#) dog? - Catahoula leopard dog.

She's 5+ years old and lives to run and play. They are saying $5k to repair but 10 weeks of no activity and walking on a leash only after that to prevent the other from tearing.

Anyone have real life experience with this.

Frankly I don't want to put her down, but running and playing is what makes her 'her' and if thats taken away..........
    And yes, I'll admit $5K is a lot to spend, its going to hurt.

2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

you might want to take a look at this:

www.isbanned.com/bestlist/best-dog-leg-braces

Think about giving prescription 100 mg Trazadone. I have a 50# Aussie mix. It worked for me when I had to keep him quiet for two months and as a pound dog he would not be caged. Not something I'd use frequently, but when you're desperate....

I'll tell ya. I did nothing for two months keeping him quiet. Play mind games...
    I also had a wolf dog that severed his left rear achilles tendon. He seemed to know he had to stay quiet so it could heal. Different personalities.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    mnn2501 likes this.

3. Janetm

Janetm Active Member

I had a 130 lb Rottie that did the same thing. The surgery was worth it to us. He was completely lame on the leg when he injured it but after the surgery and recovery he was fine. The first week was a bit challenging as he wasn't to hear any weight on it at all but he was sore so he wasn't really interested in activity. As the weeks progressed he started using it more and more. I did increasingly longer walks to rebuild the muscles. Once he was fully healed he was back to his regular activity. He wasn't restricted to a leash forever and fortunately he didn't tear the other.

Hope your girl feels better!

mnn2501 likes this.
  4. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

A bit more discussion with the vet. $5K is the upper limit could be as low as $3.5K Depends on what the blood work shows and how she comes through it all. the $ includes after surgery check-ups. They also do a 10% senior discount -- I guess getting old has its pluses at time.
    She will be going in this coming Friday (April 24) for surgery and we'll pick her up Saturday. The leg will be in a sling for the first 2 weeks, and while they suggest kenneling, as long as we keep her on the floor that is what needed. As JanetM said, she will be sore and keeping her calm shouldn't be a problem.

5. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

how did things turn out? My Deja has grade 2/3 MPL, one side has been corrected for $1500, and she won't have the other side done until she goes three-legged on the left, after a three vet consult.

three months of keeping her tolerably quiet as a fresh one year old pup. she'll be three in May. was def worth it!!

6. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

She is being operated on today, we'll pick her up Saturday morning -- then the hard part comes - keeping her quiet.

7. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

all paws crossed here for you, yours, and the pup!! totally feelin ya

mnn2501 likes this.
  8. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Well, Emma is home, leg and part of her back(why?) shaved, sore and wearing a cone. She is one hurting pup. They said the operation went well though, First two weeks, confined to where she cannot jump and wearing the cone to not chew the stitches.
    Starting week 3 physical therapy(really?!) we have a free consult for that. should be about 10 weeks total healing time if all goes well.
    The cost was actually on the low end of their estimate - $3600 - surprised me.

9. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

so glad to hear this!! Deja made it fine without the physical therapy, and we crated and tethered her both. She had a vet wrap cast on so she had no way to chew stitches for the first week or so.

believing for a complete recovery for Emma, and sending lots of patience your way--tailwags from ours to yours!

mnn2501 likes this.
  10. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Just an update - its been 2 week since Emma's ACL surgery and she is doing very well. Still limping a bit, we took the cone off a few days ago and she was very happy about that, her fur is growing back where they shaved her and itching - now she can scratch and lick. Over all it has not been as bad as we were told it could be.

nchobbyfarm and andiplus8 like this.
  11. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

so happy to hear this!! Go Emma! :D

12. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

3 weeks and she's about the same - still limping, still itching where she was shaved. Talked to the vet, if her limp hasn't improved by the end of next week, they want to take another set of x-rays.

13. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

oh, man, keeping eight paws crossed...

14. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

4 weeks now and she's barely limping anymore. She's also jumped up on the bed a couple times when we were not watching as close as we should have and she had no problem getting on and off.
    We're still not taking her on long walks or to the dog park like we used to (we'll give her the full 10 weeks the vet said to and then ease her into it), but I think she's doing well.

nchobbyfarm and kinnb like this.
  15. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

16. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

excellent * tosses that good girl a Nylabone :D

17. nchobbyfarm

nchobbyfarm Shazbot!

Great News. Just my experience from jumpers, down is worse than up. Stoked for the great results from a lurker.

kinnb likes this.
  18. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

@nchobbyfarm totally with the down...my Deja (Dachsador) just jacked up her back a month ago--vet says "classic jumping off injury." oy...

19. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Yeah, I agree, I was more worried about her getting down off the bed. but at 85 pounds I just can't lift her.

20. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Well, Week 5 now since the operation. I am noticing that when she first gets up she needs to "stretch it out" funny can since I hit 60 a few years back, its the same for me - once she get moving there is very little limping [same with me ;) ] Overall not much change since last Friday.