Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her poop has gone crazy. It's not berries. It looks like a cow pie! Not like a dog poop. Like a big... pile.

Her milk production has been down the last 3 days. She's not really wanting her grain, but she is eating hay happily. She's up and moving around like normal. So her big 3 symptoms are: off her grain but still eating hay, cow pie poo, and reduced milk production. She's still behaving normally.

What's wrong with her?

Thanks,

:Bawling: RedTartan

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm no expert, but it can't hurt to have her stool checked for intestinal parasites. My 1st two had ploppy stools from coccidia.

·
Premium Member
15,786 Posts
When was she wormed? What was the wormer? Have you had a fecal tested?

Does she have a temperature?

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
Get her some pepto, Banamine, and drench her with electrolytes or gatorade. (Orange flavor seems to work best.) Some Probias or yogurt would help.

I have had the same problem this year. They have it a day and it's gone. :shrug:

Get a fecal done just in case, but I bet she got into something that she shouldn't have. :baby04:

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got Mocha on May 10th, but here's some information from her breeders paperwork:

Wormed April 28th with 3cc Ivomec Plus
She doesn't have a fever

I haven't had a fecal done because I just saw the "cow pies" yesterday evening right before I posted. I have called the experienced nubian breeder in the area and she's going to stop by and have a look.

For now I'm pulling her feed and just giving her oats on the stand.

After my mentor gets here I'll decide what exactly to do. I don't want to throw a bunch of stuff at the problem until I know what it is.

What is the treatment for cocci? I thought that was a chicken problem...

RedTartan

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Does she graze/browse? That can affect poop - ours get ploppy when it rains.
Could she be in heat? We think our first doe went into heat this week - her appetite is so-so and her milk is down. (Though her poop is OK).

Coocci tends to affect kids more than it does adult does - and I would get a fecal before I started throwing stuff, too. Especially stuff that forces milk withdrawal.

Poo can vary. It's just a fact. We used to get alarmed at any change, but unless it's liquid or lasts for several days, we no longer freak out. Watch what might have changed when it happens and you'll get an idea of why it's happening. That's how we know ours get "soft" when it's rainy.

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had lots of rain on Saturday and she was ploppy on Sunday. Maybe that is it. This morning her poo is better. It's berries again, but they're stuck together in a large clump. Her milk production was up this morning. Not fantastic, but up.

She kind of gets browse. She's in a temporary area while we're building the barn and fencing the pasture so my kids pick big weeds and bring them to the goats. LOL. My goats love my kids :) I don't think I have anything growing that could hurt the goats, though.

RedTartan

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'd bet on wet and new plants. I know it's SO easy to say, "Don't freak out" - but a lot harder, in practice, not to freak out. ...try not to freak out. :)

I cannot recommend enough getting a microscope and a fecal egg count kit and doing your own fecals. It helps you get a better idea of what is going on and when it is actually a worm issue. ...you can get a chea scope from ebay - but the really good kit will run about $50 for the McMaster's slides, measured tubes, etc. ...I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You'll have to pardon me for being so paranoid...I lost my first goat a week ago to what appears to have been milk fever/something else probably a twisted stomach... Beyond that, now i'm over anxious about everything. I had been treating her for diarrhea for two days believing sincerely that she had eaten something that was not agreeing with her.

I'm having a similar problem with the clumpy poops, not runny, and the goat being off grain, and happily eating hay. I agree with the grass being wet, it does seem to coincide somewhat with lush pasture/rain.

Why though is my goat avoiding the grain dish to gladly dine on hay? She is usually fighting me to put the grain down for her. Today she fought me to get one bite of grain, when i put it in the dishes she went to munch on fresh hay and didn't bother the others (completely out of her stubborn character)She seems fine otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Well, I would still get the fecal. It'll only cost about ten bucks. She coudl have worms that the other goats don't, and be passing those on to everyone in the herd, and cocci left untreated can cause intestinal scarring and a subsequent failure to thrive. If I only worried about mucus and snot, most of my goats that got sick would be dead by now or worthless for anything but stew.

I don't treat every little thing, and I don't posess a barrage of medications, but I do think it's a good idea to at least be aware of the sort of parasites you're buying feed for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with the "don't freak" posters! The first thing I'd do is make sure they are getting plenty of hay/browse, and hold the grain (or half it) for a day or two. That usually works, but I may also give a dose of probios, also, if it's a goat I can catch easily. But I do check on them one often, because (as we all know) stuff happens quickly with these guys!
Good Luck!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts