ACK!!! Nightshade in my garden!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hears The Water, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey all, I was outside just now using my weed-eater to try to get down some of the tall weeds next to the garden. I admit to being really busy over the last week or so and had a broken weed-eater so we where not able to get to some of the weeds. Well, there I was really enjoying killing off the weeds and tall grass at the end of my garden's edge when I realized that what I was killing was nightshade. I am pretty sure it is Eastern Black Nighshade as the flowers where tiny and white. Not the big purple or white star-bursts of some of the other nightshade plants. Well, I am prone to freak-outs anyway and as expected now I am upset. So my concerns are these:
    1. What is the most responsible way of getting rid of this garden pest? We do have a few children in the area and I don't want any of them eating the berries.
    2. Is there any chance of me having some kind of a problem? I did hit them with the weedeater a couple of times and I had grass and weed bits all over my jeans and shoes and socks. Can the toxin be absorbed into the skin? I have not found anything that says that, but I have only looked at a few sites.
    3. Is there any danger to our veggies? I have tomatoes and squash with fruit near where I was killing them. Should I be wary of eating veggies that may have had nighshade juice sprayed on them accidentally?

I know that some of you are laughing at me now, but I have found that if I can arm myself with the truth, I am much less likely to be afraid of these things. And yes, I do know that tomatoes are from the nighshade family. Thank you for reading this and for your replies.

2. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Well I have them every year. There a real pain. But I just try and pull befor they go to seed. I just use my bare hands and only ever got green fingers. It washes off. I'm sure your veg. will be fine.
    Happy gardening
    Sandie OR. 5/6

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I too have nightshade as a marginal pest weed. Not a problem since I can easily spot it and either pull it or snip it off with a hoe. It's actually a good sign that I'm doing some things right. The ripe nightshade berries are a delicacy not only to humans but to birds. And it's migrating birds that are responsible for planting it here. I'm the bad guy for not allowing it to become a feeding station for the next generation of birds!

Martin

4. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you both for helping to calm my fears. It seems that every year I find some reason to freak out about my garden. I was so happy to move here and put in a garden because I thought I was not going to have to deal with Jimson Weed anymore. Ha! Now I am dealing with it's cousin, Nightshade. Looks like we have a nice project here, and a lesson in keeping the weeds down before they get too big! Thanks again.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

5. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, chiquelite huckleberries, etc. are all nightshade too.