ACK! My nectarine tree

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by luvrulz, May 20, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

has quite a bit of fruit on it but they're all covered in this clear jelly looking stuff. Kind of looks like clear hair gel and is on both trees and every fruit. Is it supposed to be there? What the heck is this stuff?

We had a real gully washer last night and the rain came down all night. The sun is out today and will it just go away?

Your help is appreciated much! :p

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy...it's called sapping out and is due to some sort of injury to the tree or the fruit itself can be fixed next year by using a lime-sulfer spray follow instructions on lable and make sure to wash fruit very well before eating...this years crop is a loss now sorry to say...nothing you can do at this point I had this happen with my peach trees 2 years in a row and still havent figured out what the injury was...this year they seem fine...i did not spray my trees myself but you may want to....I was told that it could be a root growing around a rock in the soil and getting cut...well i aint digging up the tree to find out lol...was also told that it could be from mowing near the tree and vibrating the roots...so the injury can be 1 of a million things...first step would be to look your tree over for any broke limbs,cuts by a weed whacker,nicks from a rabbit or other critter chewing on it.....cut away broken limbs and seal the cut with pruneing seal...seal any cut in fact!...fertilize end of spring...water well and hope next year this dont happen....hope this helps dale anne

3. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Thx DA! It happened to both trees and none of the other 15 fruit trees in the orchard...hmmmmm.....wonder if it's my mowing skill?

I'll check the tree for damage and go from there!

JT :D