Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, you know how when that mid-life crisis thing hits we do some dumb stuff? I'll be 40 in 6 months so I guess this qualifies. :rolleyes:

So...I decided to do something "cool" and "different" and I DYED MY HAIR BLACK. I have no clue what I was thinking. I thought I might look good with black hair. I mean, JET black, absolutely positively BLACK.

Needless to say, it isn't very nice looking. My hair is naturally medium brown and wavy, and I have blue eyes. It looks like I'm playing dress-up with a wig. :help:

Fortunately...it is semi-permanent dye, which is supposed to wash out in 28 shampoos. So I've been trying *really* hard to step up the process. In 3 days I'm up to 12 shampoos. :)

I've Googled...read suggestions to try Dawn dish soap, Head & Shoulders shampoo, cheap shampoo, all of which I have... Tide laundry soap, which I don't have, so I tried my homemade laundry soap...so far it's not budging. I just got done with a 3-shampoo shower using laundry soap, H & S and my daughter's "volumizing" shampoo...yes, I used conditioner after, so my hair doesn't look or feel fried or anything...I *think* I might have taken a little bit of the intensity out of the blackness.

It's going to look awful when it starts to fade (IF it ever does!) so when it starts to look grayish-brown I have no problem over-dying it with dark brown and dealing with THAT...I've had dark brown before and it looked pretty good.

NO I am not going to a salon and I don't want to bleach it, I don't think I should have to because it's semi-permanent, didn't actually *remove* any of my natural hair color, just deposited color on top of it, that is why I chose it, because every time I use permanent color the color washes out and I'm left with brassy color lighter than I started with, but I've had good results with the semi. Till now. :Bawling:

<-------- what WAS I thinking? :Bawling:

Anybody got any more ideas of what I can try to get it out?

My kids are upset at mom looking so different, esp. my son....they're even more upset that we're going on vacation and I'll have vacation photos of myself with this stupid hair color! He said yesterday "well, at least the people in Niagara will never see you again." Gee, thanks.

I refused to go to church today because of this. I couldn't wear my baseball cap in there. :nono:

OH well...look at the bright side...I don't have any gray showing! :p

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have heard never use a green shampoo because it will wash out the color. Not even sure if they have Prell anymore but that is one which stands out in my mind not to use,

Good luck! Susan

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I wish I could help you. It does remind me of the time I used a new type of hair color called Feria. I had maroon hair. A co-worker said it was dark purple but it matched my maroon velvet jacket perfectly. What to do? Hey Flaunt it! You won't ever have black hair again so have fun with it. :dance

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
There is a product that will remove semi-permanent hair color, you can buy it at Sally Beauty Supply, it's about $5 a bottle, works like a charm. I don't recall the name of the product, but I used it once when a 'mahogany' haircolor came out a very unnatural burgundy color. It only took one treatment and all the color was gone.

If you use Tide and Dawn and all that other junk on your hair, you're going to strip the cuticle and end up with damage. Try to find the color remover product, it's worth it so you don't end up wrecking your hair permanently.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I am dealing with one of those mid-life- brain hick-ups! I PAID to have my hair permed and it is fried. I have some natural curl but my hair had gotten longer than I usually wear it. I wanted to be able to put it up and have some natural looking waves! I have to use two conditions on it.

AT least yours is not perm. I wish I could help but I think time, water and shampoo is your best bet.. Wish my was that easy! QB

·
Mom to 6 great kids!
352 Posts
Have you tried Baking Soda and vinegar? My sister used that on my neices hair that turned green b/c of the chlorine and some other chemical in a hot tub. It took it out.. I wonder if it would help yours??? Wouldn't hurt it...

JennNY

·
Registered
544 Posts
OH NO EDAYNA!!!! :Bawling:

If you still have the box, call the customer service number on the side towards the bottom of the box. Trust me they are there to help. They will know what to use to remove it ( or tone it down) with little to NO harm to your natural hair and they will refund your money. Which is good because hair dyes are expensive. If don't have the box. contact the 1-800 operator the they will give you the number, but I think it is something like 1-800 clariol (REVLON IS 1-800-RELVON) and the hours are usually monday - friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET.

I hope this is helpful to ya. Please let me know how it goes.

RedheadedTricia

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
JennNY said:
Have you tried Baking Soda and vinegar? My sister used that on my neices hair that turned green b/c of the chlorine and some other chemical in a hot tub. It took it out.. I wonder if it would help yours??? Wouldn't hurt it...

JennNY

The baking soda and vinegar is what a hair dresser told me takes out dye. I think maybe if you try it on a tiny strip in an inconsipicuous place (or cut a little curl off) and try it. If it works, then go for it and if not you won't have messed up your head worse.

Angie

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
i don't know if this has been suggested but I bought something that takes the dye out of your hair. I found it in the hair coloring section. Anyway, when you put semi permanent color on your hair and want to remove it, you don't have to use the peroxide that you would normally mix in to lift the color. You just put it on in a single process. It might be worth a try if you don't mind shelling out the cash. I had to do this once and NOTHING would take the neon pink red color from my hair. I finally called the company out of desperation and they gave me a formula to tone it down and it helped. Hope you find something that works.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK....I tried the baking soda and vinegar. Tried a little snip first, seemed to be a little dye coming out, so I made a paste of baking soda and massaged it into my hair...poured vinegar over it...my hair got nice and FIZZY.... I stood with my head hanging over the bathroom sink, could actually SEE the dye coming out as it dripped. I waited for about 15 minutes like this, was afraid to let it sit longer because I don't want to totally fry my hair. Shampooed and conditioned. Alas, it was not enough, my hair is still jet black. I think it may be ever-so-slightly lighter. But the fact that I SAW the dye coming out is encouraging. I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe if I do this every day I'll see some results by the end of the week? I just want it to be a little more brown instead of black!

BTW...it's VERY shiny! :p

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I use Revlon Colorsilk and the box says the color is good through 28 shampoo's, of course I am using a blond shade.

Maybe if you start washing then rinsing you could speed up the process. :shrug:

Too bad it wasn't closer to Halloween, you could just tell people you were getting into spirit of the season. :p

Good Luck and I hope you got pictures even if you don't post them-this will probably be a once in a lifetime event. :angel:

·
Registered
68 Posts
well I can offer you no advice, and it sounds like you have a bunch of great ideas!! I just had to say, I must have finally found happiness with my natural hair color as I just bought the same brand of dye (with a buy one/get one free coupon) and it is the SAME shade as my hair!! I used it---I have a hint and I do mean a HINT of more red, but basically I bought the same shade as my hair!! *sigh* Oh---and I was not even trying to hide grey or anything

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is the same one I use to cover my grays. Of course I have naturally very black hair so by the time it's growing out it's faded to my natural color and you can't even see it.

It is very very black when it is fresh though so I can only imagine what it is like on a brown haired, blue eyed person.

I would second the suggestion for the product from Sally's Beauty Supply. I don't know if you keep tea tree oil around buy I've heard it fades hair color.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
RoseGarden said:
There is a product that will remove semi-permanent hair color, you can buy it at Sally Beauty Supply, it's about $5 a bottle, works like a charm. I don't recall the name of the product, but I used it once when a 'mahogany' haircolor came out a very unnatural burgundy color. It only took one treatment and all the color was gone.

If you use Tide and Dawn and all that other junk on your hair, you're going to strip the cuticle and end up with damage. Try to find the color remover product, it's worth it so you don't end up wrecking your hair permanently.
Ditto. This would be the thing to do, especially before you ruin your hair with all of the other stuff you're putting on it.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pigeon Lady said:
You may as well go the whole hog. Go buy some clothes and nose rings to complete the new look:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/index.jsp

:)

Pauline
ROFL -- here's the really funny part -- we were IN Hot Topic today! DH and the kids decided they wanted to spend our afternoon at the mall. I hate malls, but hey, I was outvoted. In that store I felt like I fit right in. Did I mention my daughter has purple streaks in her hair too? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
i don't want to be a party pooper but this is not a temporary color like you are thinking. it has peroxide in it....a low volume but it has peroxide.

hi, im nikko and i was a master colorist for over 25 yrs. i specialized in corrective color. maybe i can help. first off stop using anything and everything. the baking soda and vinegar is ok but it will be slow going. it opens up the cuticle and allows a bit of color to leek out. the ph in this will dry out your hair eventually. pantene use to make a shampoo that did the exact same thing but gentler on the hair. its their clairifying shampoo. nexxus also makes one but it is gentler than pantene. will do the same thing.

in the salone we would do something that may work but i need to ask some stuff first....AND HONESTY COUNTS HERE....LOL

how long is your hair? a pic may help me with some of these

did you have ANY color...permanent or rinses in your hair before this. even if it was 6 months ago, tell me

how dry is your hair....whats the condition like

thick hair or fine?

i'll check back in a bit for answers. hopefully i can help....

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
Why don't you just go get another box ???get the color you like/want and redo your color, it can't be any worse than doing all that other stuff to your hair!!!!!!!!!!
and YES I'm speaking from experience......... :) don't ask...
I did get a better conditioner for awhile but it really didn't hurt my hair,good luck and enjoy your vacation without thinking your hair looks freaky.....
jmo.Christine

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I phoned the # on the box of Hair Dye, was told if I had "Infusion" ( it is a condiioner ) to put that on......it takes off color. Infusion is meant for Untreated hair, because it takes out color. * This thread is making me Veri nervous......I have been debating putting color on my untreated Greying hair......I would Hate to be washing my hair to try & remove the color. * I feel for you, 'cause I've Been there - Done that! << in my 20's, I bought a box of Blonde hair dye, figured it would be Fun to be Blonde - my hair is dark brown.....I ended up with Bright Red hair.....didn't have the time or $ to change it ,,,,,,,what a shock to my [email protected] least your Black is Punk/Goth :dance: >> Good Luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts