acid reflux

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by SquashNut, Jan 23, 2007.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Is there any thing I can do for acid reflux. It's getting worse each episode. and they are getting closer together.
    Staring to affect my sleep, and that cann't be good as I feel tired any way.

2. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband used to deal with acid reflux terribly. Nothing seemed to help until he quit eating pork. Now he doesn't have it at all.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

My hubby was having the same trouble. He stopped all caffeine...even chocolate. The acid very rarely makes an appearance now. If it does, he takes a big swallow of vinegar and the pain is gone within several minutes.

You might want to investigate "hiatal hernia" also.

4. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

Don't eat anything three hours prior to bedtime and sleep as elevated as possible.
    Also, this is a bad American habit.....don't guzzle large amounts of water or tea with your meals.....you're diluting your stomach acids to the point that they can't do their job of digesting the foods in a normal time frame. It just all sits there for hours in a bucket of tea sloshing around.....lol.
    I'm from a country where people don't drink with their meals and I had never heard of acid reflux and heartburn until I moved to the USA.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think there are a few schools of thought on this. one says it is acid. another says it is gas. certainly the "valve" that keeps things down is damaged and allows acid to creep into the throat.

if someone claims that taking vinegar helps, it follows my belief that the acid is not a problem. the stomach has lots of acid and our body normally handles it well.

i had the problem for many years. i am not nearly as stressed as i used to be and i don't suffer nearly as much. try to eliminate stress and i think that would help.

the one dietary thing that really seemed to help was to eliminate carbonated beverages when i had symtoms. i feel that when the digestive tract and stomach are filled with gas, it forces the stomach's acid out the faulty/damaged valve. if find that you can eliminate carbonated drinks and any foods that give you gas, you may see some improvement. i know doing so helped me.

6. PinkBat

I forgot to mention that where I'm from, they eat very rich fatty dinners, and always serve a dish of something pickled along with the dinner. The vinegar aids the digestion.....just like Mammabooh's husband drinks a swig of vinegar and feels better.

Maybe that's why Americans started adding pickle slices to their hamburgers?

7. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Following all your recomendations, and they are working very well. Have to limit the pickles because of the salt, but love that they accually have a use in my diet.
    I can alot of them every year. It might take some getting used to swigging vinegar, but I am not going for pills, hate them. DH has some from the VA and he still has some symptoms even though he takes them every day.
    OH, I also cut fresh dairy products out of my diet again. It might take alot to give up chocolate though.

8. PinkBat

Try this then: One tsp apple cider vinegar, mixed with one tsp honey, topped off with a little water in a glass. Swig that.....it's easier.

9. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

10. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

Apple cider vinegar really works! a tablespoon full in a glass of water!
    Also look into probiotics, and food that contains live cultures. Mostly yogurts now but used to be a lot of fermented vegetables made at home in crock pots to preserve garden produce.

11. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

I have been fighting it for sometime. I have tried many meds and none stop it, they just seem to post pone the effects. I did weed out pop in my diet, and I can't drink milk or eat cottage cheese. I can eat hard cheese but just a little with my meals. the best advice I can give is experiment to see what works for you. draw up a meal plan and follow it for a week at a time to give your body a chance to adjust. if you feel one item is a trigger to cause the effects then remove it from your meal plan and watch for the effects to lesson.

12. B2bKen

B2bKen Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks back, someone else started a thread about acid reflux/indigestion. Just about all were saying to take a couple of tablespoons of Apple Cider vinegar in a glass of water. Since I have had bad problems with indigestion, I started trying it about 3 weeks ago (apple cider), and WOW!!! it has really helped me. Just got to say thanks to that Country Wisdom!

13. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

If vinegar helps its a sign that you have low stomach acid, digestion is poor, you are getting fermentation and gas that pushes the little acid you do have up and causes heart burn. There was a study (I think John Hopkins) that said 80% of diagnosed acid reflux was actually low acid, you can test this out by getting some Betaine HCL at the healthfood store and experiment with it, increase the dose until you get heartburn and backup.

14. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

Remain upright ie don't lay down soon after a meal or eat before going to bed. Elevate the head of your bed or relax in a semi upright position. Avoid overeating and foods and drinks which may aggrivate the condition are two non pharmaceutical ways to deal with the situation. I personally would break out the Pepcid or take a Tums and contact my doctor if the condition persisted in addition to that.

15. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

There are different types of heartburn.

Mine is duodenal.

Upright verses laying; makes no difference at all.

Eating or drinking before bedtime; if anything delays the heartburn.

Eating spicy foods; makes no difference.

Vinegar; I can not tell any difference.

I get heartburn. If I eat a slice of bread it goes away. I get heartburn on an empty stomach. I never get it during or after eating. I have never gotten it from 'over-eating', I just get full. It will get very bad, causing me to eat a muffin / bagel or couple slices of bread every two hours through the night.

Under medical supervision, I became addicted to tums. I can go through 40 tums a day. They do help, for about thirty minutes.

I was tested many times for H. Pylori, the tests have always been negative.

I do have photographs of the problem, it is an erosion near my duodenal. Mostly stress related, as best we can guess.

I have been told each of the wives tale 'cure's before. And just wanted to let folks know that while their intentions are wonderful, few of them work for everyone.

I take Prilosec. The other option is to seal my bile duct. But at least I have some cool photos.

:)