Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda proud of the fact I built my shop and an addition to my house, with lumber cut from trees on my land, doing most of the carpenter work myself.

But if I understand the latest revisions to the building codes down here, all new construction will have to be with grade-stamped lumber, which means store-bought.

Thoughts?

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
It is possible to hire an inspector to grade your lumber for you. But that kind of negates the cost savings of using your own lumber.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
we were told that all framing lumber and our house logs had to be graded. We can use our own logs for panelling, flooring, shelving, etc. but anything structural has to be graded.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This varies by state.

Wisconsin requires use of graded/stamped lumber for ANY structural pieces. Building it yourself means nothing.
They also require the use of graded logs. Building inspectors are more tolerant of letting this pass, as log graders are few & far between.

Each year, it seems like yet another state bans rough cut lumber for use in framing.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
My thoughts? OK if the govt. doesn't like my building don't tax the darned thing. That'll teach me!

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
The 'code' is for the bare minimum of what a contractor can get by with, and still be safe. I like to add a little extra to the code, if at all possible... if a joist needs 2x8, I'll use a 2x10, etc.

IMHO, if you built with full sized 2x' (full two inch by six inch, etc.) and with tight grained pine or oak, you're place is probably just as strong, or stronger, than a 'graded' house would be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts