Access to our Service records on DOD data base??

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by fordy, Mar 28, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........I, lost my copy of my DD214, somewhere along the hiway of life and I'd like to have a complete set of copies of my files . Does the DOD allow us to access our records over our computer. It sure would be nice to just print the whole file out and save it on my Pooter, anybody tried this????....fordy.. :)

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I believe the D.O.D. holds your records dureing active duty; then the Veterans Adminestration afterwards. Either way now to get your records go to any vet service rep and sign the forms they need to have your records sent to you; and be prepared to wait for as much as 3 months, maybe more. I doubt anyone has taken time to type your info into a puter format.

3. jgood49829

jgood49829 New Member

You can request a copy of your file. Make sure you ask for a complete and unabridged copy. That way they give you everything including little notes written by doctor or nurse.
    You may also send an recieve new,all the medals your were awarded while in the service. You may get some that you did not know you had coming.
    John Good
    Vietnam 1970-71
    173rd assault helicopter co.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

This may sound silly, but did you get your DD214 recorded at the court house? I know this was a recommendation that many vets followed and it can save alot of grief if you lose your copy.

Veterans records are held at St. Louis. If you demobbed prior to 1964 (Air Force) or 1960 (Army) your records may have been lost in 1973 fire - the burned records have never been recreated and are not indexed. If your file is among those lost, there will be no DD214 and you will need to get a new one issued.

Even if you think you file is among the burned records you can make a request for it using eVetRecs at:

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs/

As someone else said, it does take awhile to get your file.

5. Caz

Caz Well-Known Member

FYI.
    The National Personnel Records Center has provided the following website for veterans to access their DD-214 online:
    <http://vetrecs.archives.gov>.
    This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. Please see the details below.
    Point of contact is Lyn Krout, linda.krout@us.army.mil, DSN 458-1755 or commercial 410-306-1755

6. B2bKen

B2bKen Well-Known Member

I had got off of some website (sorry I do not remember which one), the form to request my DD214 from the Office of Personnel Records (?). I saw on another site, that they were charging @$130 to get it for me within ten days, as they stated if I attempted to get it myself, it would take @ 6 months. GET IT YOURSELF!!! Why?, well, I filled out the form, faxed it in, and recieved within four days my DD214. If I would have gone through this compnay (which obviously is a scam), it would have taken 6 more days and cost me $130!

Ken

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Can you post here the name/site address of the scam company?